PDA

View Full Version : First Timer Alert!

DisneyMomof2
08-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Hey all, this is my first post here in the DLR section...

My mom (late 50's) will be visiting DLR the weekend of 8/27/05, anything you can advise a first timer at DLR? She has been to WDW several times but any suggestions on what is a MUST for her to do or see at DLR? She isn't a thrill ride seeker, she's more into shows and the beauty of the parks. She's a HUGE Pinocchio fan. I see on a 2004 map that there is a Pinocchio's Daring Journey, she said she wouldn't go on alone.... :rolleyes:

Anyhow.... any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Also any special souvenirs that she should bring back for ME and the Grandkids that are extremely jealous? ;)

Have I mentioned how EXTREMELY jealous I am that she is going on a business trip to the west coast? LoL

MammaSilva
08-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Tell mom she can ride anything in Fantasyland (well with the exception of the Matterhorn if she's not a thrill seeker) and love it...Peter Pan is a personal fav but if she loves Pinocchio there's no reason for her to stay off the ride, it's a 'dark' ride with some twist turns in the ride vehicle but it's definately NOT a 'thrill/coaster' type attraction. Tell her to take the time to stop in and see the Great moments film and look around at the displays in the Opera House, there are some amazing pictures in there and the film is cute...I know there are others that hate it but I thought it was worth the time I spent to see it. Tiki room is another 'must' for a first timer to Disneyland, and the new Jungle Cruise would be another "not a thrilll but too much fun" attraction that I would recommend.

08-17-2005, 08:23 AM
She isn't a thrill ride seeker, she's more into shows and the beauty of the parks.

She'll enjoy people-watching. My favorite spot is New Orleans Square. She can sip a (non-alcoholic) mint julep and enjoy the music, too. The benches by the Partners statue are another great spot.

She's a HUGE Pinocchio fan. I see on a 2004 map that there is a Pinocchio's Daring Journey, she said she wouldn't go on alone....

Tell her from me (age 48) that it's Pinocchio's Tame (not Lame) Journey. She'll enjoy it.

Anything in Fantasyland is Old School fun. Autopia in Tomorrowland is great. Tiki Room, Pirates, Haunted Mansion - all tame and wonderfully Old School.

Also any special souvenirs that she should bring back for ME and the Grandkids that are extremely jealous?

Personally, I'd go for the 50th Anniversary t-shirts.

Okay, that's a beginning. You'll get lots of great advice from the MousePadders!

DisneyMomof2
08-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks :) I'll be passing along all the info to her... I think I am just as excited as she is. I am hoping that my family can make it out to the west coast next year instead of going to WDW. We want to do a CA/AZ/NV trip so we're hoping and praying ;)

HiHoSilver
08-17-2005, 08:44 AM
She can sip a (non-alcoholic) mint julep and enjoy the music, too.
I've been wondering about those mint juleps for a year now. I'd see that they are for sale and I'd wonder "how can they sell those at Disneyland?" I meant to ask about them ... now I know. Thanks.
DisneyMomof2 - Hi, I'm a Disney Dad of 2 myself. Your Mom is going to have a great trip. I'm kind of jealous too.

CrazyTrain
08-17-2005, 09:13 AM
If she likes shows, she should see Billy Hill!

Drince88
08-17-2005, 04:09 PM
If she's not uncomfortable dining by herself, I think the Blue Bayou is a very unique restaurant to DL -- nothing really like it at WDW.

I'm going to DL for the first time in almost 4 years (having been to WDW twice since then) and some of the things that I'm looking forward to that are 'the same, but different' are Pirates and the Tiki Room. The train ride is not just a loop around the park - it also has a diorama with dinosaurs and the dessert SW (? someone correct me if I'm wrong!).

Oh, and why I started responding in this thread - Fantasmic! -- if she liked it at the Studios, she's going to really like it at DL, unless she's going to have a huge issue with no seating.

SuefromRI
08-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Tell her to at least check out the exterior of Small World-it is so different from WDW. The different ones in Fantasyland are Pinocchio and Alice in W and the ?Storyboat. New Orleans is pretty and the HM's exterior is fitting to NO instead of Colonial like WDW.

DisneyMomof2
08-18-2005, 07:05 AM
Thanks everyone! I have passed on all info to my mom who is very excited about her trip. 2 week business trip to CA! I think I need to get a job there ;)