PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo DisneySea Video Guide REVIEWED!

Kuzcotopia
02-16-2002, 09:57 AM
Finally got my Japanese Tokyo DisneySea Video Guide that I ordered from an online auction site (the famous one). (Don't want to break any MousePlanet rules by linking to it.)

This is a tape that I looked and looked for when I visited the park, but it wasn't done yet. Now it's done and I was able to find multiple copys for sale online. GET IT!

The price tag was still on it and read 2,400 yen. That's roughly $23. It's 45 minutes of NTSC VHS, which means that it's compatable with American VCR's and TV's (unless you still have betamax!).

It begins with about 5 commercials for Disney movies and DVD's. All in Japanese. Emperor's New Groove, 102 Dalmatians, Atlantis. Sad to know that poor Japanese Disney fans have to deal with the same shove-it-down-their-throats previews we do.

Anyway, the video is kinda silly in the Japanese way of Cheezy sparkly graphics, but the quality of the footage and the sound is top-notch-Disney.

Let me start with this warning:

If you cannot visit Tokyo DisneySea in your lifetime, DO NOT watch this TAPE! It will be sheer torture, and you will be wishing to go until the end of your days!

The video really shows how amazing the park is. It goes into great detail showing clips from every show and every ride.

But first, they show a quick tour of Tokyo Disneyland.

First they show the POOH ride! THIS IS AMAAAAAAAZING! The powers that beee should beeee ashamed if we get anything less than this in Disneyland. But we know we will get a dumbed-down version of the silly old bear.

The animatronics and illusions and effects of the Pooh ride FAR out-pace EVERY animatronic ride and EVERY dark-ride Disney has ever made.

Then they show They're it's a small world.... ARRRRRRRRGHHH! It's SO much more spectacular than ours. Now I can see what Al Lutz was talking about about the 50th anniversary plans for small world. Water going all the way to the scenes, not just a flume. And more.

They also show lots of footage of Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade: Dreamlights. WOW! About 10x greater than our old parade. This is what Light Magic SHOULD have been. No recycled floats, all amazing computer-controlled shimmering lights. Buzz Lightyear, Lion King, Little Mermaid, etc.... not just pre-1970's stuff. The fantasy of lights the way it SHOULD be done. And that great theme music!

Note to Disney, we NEEEEEED this for Disneyland's 50th.

The tape shows the whole resort. They show Ikspiari, their Downtown Disney. They show wonderful tours of the Disney Hotels, the BonVoyage shop, the monorail resort line and the Disney Good Neighbor Hotels.

Then they show Tokyo DisneySea. It goes in-depth, showing with beautifully shot footage EVERY land and EVERY ride and EVERY show and almost EVERY shop and restaurant. This is high-quality video, with shots you never could get with a camcorder. Stunning helecopter vistas of the parks, shots inside the rides and outside, soaring crane shots and swooping points of view.

The narration is all in Japanese, but you won't care. Anyone reading my trip report knows about almost everything shown here!

The rest is beautiful visuals and music (check out the theme songs for each land! The Theme to Lost River Delta rocks! (not!))

One strange note on the tape, Fans of the Fantasia/2000 dvd will recognize Eric Goldberg, the director, in this video, in the guest relations section, buying tickets to DisneySea!

There is a level of enthusiasm in the video that is a bit hokey, but fun. It is presented with a joy for the park, and that's easy to see. It's a wonderful park, and I'm finally glad to have a video that shows it in all its wonder.

But really, I'm warning you. DON'T watch this tape unless you plan to go to Japan. I'm serious.

Lani
02-16-2002, 10:22 AM
It's not hokey, it's "kawaii" ("cute" in Japanese). A lot of hokiness is passed off as cute in Japan. ;)

Kuz, thank you so much for this review! Do you know if they make it in DVD that we can watch in the US? I'll have to go find me a copy! :)

Baka Gaijin
02-21-2002, 02:40 PM
they have this video for sale at www.tokyomagic.com

barryb
02-22-2002, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the review. Even though I've been to TDR this video wasn't available to get at the time. I've ordered a copy from Tokyomagic as above.

BarryB.

www.barrybedford.com - now showing Videos of Tokyo Disney Resort

HondaBoy
03-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Wow! Thanks for the link, I just purchased it through Tokyo Magic. If the footage in this video motivates me enough, I might just have to bring the family down to Tokyo this summer on an impulse vacation :)

barryb
03-10-2002, 11:33 PM
My copy arrived on Friday morning and this is well worth getting. I can't recommend this enough.....Almost as good as my site!!!! ;-)

BTW: I saw somewhere that there is another video available at the resort which previews some of the shows and runs for 45 minutes too....

BarryB.

www.barrybedford.com - Now showing over 60 minutes of TDR Videos.