PDA

View Full Version : Tower Of Terror at Walt-Disney Studios !!!!!

msep003
02-08-2002, 11:01 AM
does anyone now about this project ?

thanks in advance

malin
02-10-2002, 08:50 AM
Check out www.dlptoday.com for more info about the TOT.

During the 1st birthday celebrations of Disney California Adventure.Barry Braverman who is the Senior Vice President and Executive Producer, Walt Disney Imagineering confirmed on Friday that the TOT will be ariving at the California park in 2004.

Braverman also claimed in a few interviews for sites Laughingplace and mouseinfo that the TOT will be the same as the Florida version.You see it was rumoured that there was a cheap version and a expensive version the Florida version being the more expensive one.And that both California and Paris would get the same version of the TOT.To save on cost of designing two versions of the Tower.Well if the rumours are indeed true.Then Paris is going to be getting the same version that Florida has for theres.And California will be getting for theres in 2004.With perhaps a few changes.Like the theming and some new technologies.

As for when DSP makes the anouncement official.My guess is when the DLP resort celebrates its 10th birthday which is soon.

malin
02-18-2002, 11:56 AM
I recently heard an interesting fact about the TOT which if true means that no TOT will be making it to DSP.

Heres the fact
Walt Disney® Studios Park covers almost half of the entire Disneyland site (that's about 25 hectares!).Yet, powerful radio waves high above Disney's enchanted world restricted the height of the Studios' buildings.

That interesting bit of news came from Disney.

If the news is true which I think it is then that must leave the TOT at DSP in doubt.Anyone know anything else on this.

parky_in_paris
03-29-2002, 08:01 AM
Don't expect to get the same version of TOT at WDS as they have in WDW.

For a start off the area of land in WDS is not as big as they would need for the WDW version.

It will not have the same level of theming as WDW. Expect a much smaller garden / hotle lobby / basement (if any). It is esy to see that the theme will not be as good, just look at the quality of theme that has been put in the park so far. If they made TOT the same as WDW, it would be 'too good' for this park and would make the rest look even cheaper than it is already.
If you look at the theme that has already been built you will see it is different to that of WDW, showing a different design is to be expected.

There will be new technology in the attraction, but this is mainly to replace the forward motion part of the ride which has been removed to save costs (both at DCA and WDS).

The result of removing the second 'effect' lift shaft, has a knock on effect in capacity. In the WDW version, while you are in the effect shaft another car will be in the main shaft and another will be in the load / unload area.

In the WDS version with only the one main lift shaft to load, ride and unload, capacity will be reduced by at least 2/3rds if not more. This can be accounted for by not having the 'multiple' up and down travels that you currently get in WDW. In fact expect to just get the one drop in Paris when the ride opens, just like the original TOT. It may never move to mulitple drops if they reduce costs and remove the variable programming capacity.

As to work being under way, nothing has been started yet, there are no contractors working on the site and no machinery is in place.

This is going to be a really difficult ride to build as the location is right in the centre of the park, guests can walk around the whole site, so access is going to be a problem during construction.

Set your expectations for this attraction NOW, look at what we have been given already at WDS and TOT will be built to match. I expect that they will actually only theme the front / side of the building and that the back and other side will be 'studio style', i.e. bare grey metal like all the other buildings.

Ian

Matterhorn Fan
03-29-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by parky_in_paris
The result of removing the second 'effect' lift shaft, has a knock on effect in capacity. In the WDW version, while you are in the effect shaft another car will be in the main shaft and another will be in the load / unload area.I'm a little confused--are they planning to make this change for the DCA version as well? :( They've got the room for the full thing at DCA, I would think (but then again, it's been a long time since I've seen the TOT).

parky_in_paris
03-30-2002, 01:24 AM
I have been told that the DCA and WDS version will be the same.

This means no 5th Dimension (the forward motion), but it will be replaced with an effect to give the same feeling. WDI are saying that many people on the WDW version did not realise that they in fact travelled forward at all. Personally I find that hard to believe, but who knows.

My worry is that the ride will have a much lower capacity, and that we will never get the changing ride profiles due to this. It has been said that 3 lift shatfs are being built, but I have also heard that it is in fact 2 the same as WDW.

Matterhorn Fan
03-30-2002, 07:26 AM
I also find it hard to believe that people don't realize they're moving forward.

DCA needs all the high-quality attractions they can get. (I can't speak for WDS, but it sounds like they might be in a similar boat.) I hope they don't build a scaled-down version at either park.

mad4mky
04-01-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
I also find it hard to believe that people don't realize they're moving forward.

I have been on TOT at WDW many times. I knew we were moving forward...you could see some of the track if you are in the front row. What is odd, is that you couldn't tell you were moving "up" as high as you are, the ride is that smooth. But, moving forward...you could definetly tell.