PDA

View Full Version : Before, During and After Disneyland Traditions

Disneynerd
06-17-2005, 10:54 AM
I know this type of thread has been started a million times, but there are some new folks to the board so I thought I'd bring it back. I pick up a new, weird tradition each year. Mine go as follows in no particular order.....

Before:

Make a paper chain, each link representing one day, rip off links until the trip (90 days out)
Tivo anything that has to do with Disney, record shows onto a videotape, explicitly (sp) label every show's recording time, date of production, channel, ect. (90 - 365 days out)
Begin to research appropriate footwear for the parks (30 - 365 days out. Currently investigating Land's End Sea-to-Shore Sport Shoes for easy GRR to Soarin' transition)
Read MousePlanet as much as humanly possible (0 - 365 days)
Fill my brain with tons of trivia to impress (embarrass) husband and random passers-by (full time job)
Creating ride itinerary that I never stick to (10 - 30 days out)
Find unique and obvious ways to bring up Disneyland in everyday conversation with husband and strangers just to psyche myself up (0-365 days out)
Watch all video footage of past trips as well as Disney-issued vacation planning DVD's. And of course, MousePlanet the Moive (5-365 days out)
Convince myself that I deserve a corndog a day for 3 days (again, full time job)
During:

Get a little card telling my future from the scary fortune teller on mainstreet (not real, not cool enough to call and anamatronic)
Steal a kiss from hubby on Pirates
Buy a tshirt and/or sweatshirt
Ride HM first and again (and again) when it gets dark and scary outside
Get there at rope drop, leave after closing
Order quesadillas from room service at the GCH upon arrival
take pictures of little things that will remind me of Disneyland when I *gulp*leave
After:

Cry and cry and cry
How 'bout you?

Hakuna Makarla
06-17-2005, 10:55 AM
All of the above ( less the hubby kissing me on pirates LOL! and mine is
before ..... eat
during...... eat
after........ eat

LOYL2DZNY
06-17-2005, 11:21 AM
OMG!!! THAT WAS HILARIOUS!!
on the before and after, everthing was pretty much the exact things i do, except the mouseplanet movie...what is that? and the corndog thing...don't do that either.

the during...i always make sure to get turkey leg and some fantasia ice cream (not at the same time) and we ride pirates and haunted as many times as possible!

can't wait for my next trip for mine and my daughter's bdays...7/18-7/22!!!

:D

infinite
06-17-2005, 11:28 AM
OMG!!! THAT WAS HILARIOUS!!
on the before and after, everthing was pretty much the exact things i do, except the mouseplanet movie...what is that? and the corndog thing...don't do that either.

the during...i always make sure to get turkey leg and some fantasia ice cream (not at the same time) and we ride pirates and haunted as many times as possible!

can't wait for my next trip for mine and my daughter's bdays...7/18-7/22!!!

:D

I am glad you don’t do ALL of that at the same time! It would be funny to see, wouldn’t it?

We don’t have a tradition, but when my cousin and I were little (about 2 and 4) our parents took us to Disneyland. She was wearing a cute peasant top and pants, and I was dressed like Gilligan from Gilligan’s Island (bet you figured that out) complete with the hat, same shoes and everything. She always thought it would be nice to go back dressed like that again….of course SHE would, she looked cute! I asked my mom why she dressed me like that and she informed me I chose the outfit AND I had a crush on Gilligan….oh the memories we repress!

So if we make a tradition, I suppose that would be it.

MrsG
06-17-2005, 12:38 PM
, and I was dressed like Gilligan from
That is hilarious and sounds adorable. We must have pictures!

Mukta
06-17-2005, 12:41 PM
except the mouseplanet movie...what is that?

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=39558

tbminnie
06-17-2005, 01:57 PM
I had a lady yell at me on Pirates for stealing a kiss from the hubby! She went on about how it's a family park and yada yada yada. It was only one kiss!! :confused:

I know this type of thread has been started a million times, but there are some new folks to the board so I thought I'd bring it back. I pick up a new, weird tradition each year. Mine go as follows in no particular order.....

Before:

Make a paper chain, each link representing one day, rip off links until the trip (90 days out)
Tivo anything that has to do with Disney, record shows onto a videotape, explicitly (sp) label every show's recording time, date of production, channel, ect. (90 - 365 days out)
Begin to research appropriate footwear for the parks (30 - 365 days out. Currently investigating Land's End Sea-to-Shore Sport Shoes for easy GRR to Soarin' transition)
Read MousePlanet as much as humanly possible (0 - 365 days)
Fill my brain with tons of trivia to impress (embarrass) husband and random passers-by (full time job)
Creating ride itinerary that I never stick to (10 - 30 days out)
Find unique and obvious ways to bring up Disneyland in everyday conversation with husband and strangers just to psyche myself up (0-365 days out)
Watch all video footage of past trips as well as Disney-issued vacation planning DVD's. And of course, MousePlanet the Moive (5-365 days out)
Convince myself that I deserve a corndog a day for 3 days (again, full time job)
During:

Get a little card telling my future from the scary fortune teller on mainstreet (not real, not cool enough to call and anamatronic)
Steal a kiss from hubby on Pirates
Buy a tshirt and/or sweatshirt
Ride HM first and again (and again) when it gets dark and scary outside
Get there at rope drop, leave after closing
Order quesadillas from room service at the GCH upon arrival
take pictures of little things that will remind me of Disneyland when I *gulp*leave
After:

Cry and cry and cry
How 'bout you?

infinite
06-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Maybe her problem was that you STOLD the kiss, had you politely asked and he gave an affirmative response, then it might have been alright ;)

As a parent I do not mind my children seeing hand holds, kissing, etc. Groping, I would have a problem with. But if they can survive seeing me and their father kiss, I am sure they can survive a kiss on Pirates. Besides, I REALLY don’t think they would be looking at you! :eek:

Shortiemetoo
06-17-2005, 02:35 PM
I had a lady yell at me on Pirates for stealing a kiss from the hubby! She went on about how it's a family park and yada yada yada. It was only one kiss!! :confused:

You said "the hubby"....was it your hubby or her hubby??? lol j/k :D

infinite
06-17-2005, 02:41 PM
You said "the hubby"....was it your hubby or her hubby??? lol j/k :D

Oh yeah…that might make me mad, too!

But not because it is a family ride. ;)

Shortiemetoo
06-17-2005, 03:00 PM

But not because it is a family ride. ;)

Exactalacalacaly!!!! ;)

PirateSmile
06-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Before:
:Stay up all night so that I'm not grumpy when my mom wakes me up at three in the morning.
:Watch The Jerk while staying up all night.
:Listen to Radio Disney, no matter how annoying music they play.

During:
:Go two DD the day we arrive.
:Eat at the River Belle Terrace. (That is what it's called right? Stop with the rocks!)
:Watch Fantasmic!
:Have as much fun as humanly possible.

After:
:Cry
:Beg my mom to turn the car around. Even when we're driving to school five weeks later.

Disney_Nut
06-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Before:

Read MousePlanet every day.
Plan what I'm going to do the first day I get there(which usually doesn't happen. I just go on whatever attraction I feel like at that moment).
Search the Internet every day looking for better airline deals.
Look through my pictures and videos from my last trip.
Read through my Disneyland books.

During:

Get a picture of the "Here you leave today..." plaque above the tunnels.
Get a waffle cone every day and people watch from Main Street. I used to always get Fantasia, but now that it's gone, I get butter pecan. :)
Make sure I get a couple of churros, a turkey leg, popcorn, and corndogs(although not at the same time) :D
During the last hour when only Main Street is open, I watch the Disney shorts, Lincoln(although now it's the 50th film), go through the Penny Arcade.
My last ride of the trip is Pirates.

After:

Before I walk through the gate to leave on my last night, I always get one last look at the Mickey flower bed, and as I'm walking away I get one more look at anything I can see, like the Matterhorn. :(

Disneynerd
06-17-2005, 04:55 PM

But not because it is a family ride. ;) Stop kissing my husband!

crazi4dlr
06-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Before:

Read MP hourly all day long and try to find other Disney sites to satify my needs.
Talk about DL at home until everyone wants me to shut up.
Walk around work saying "I just want to be at Disneyland" all day.
Make reservations for Fantasmic Balcony, BB lunch and brunch at Mrs. Knott's Chicken House.
Print coupons off the web for things I want while in So Cal.
Buy shoes that I can walk around in.
Break in said shoes so I don't get blisters.
Do laundry and pack.

While:

Enjoy the sites the smells and the sounds of being in Disneyland.
Ride Splash Mountain first, then POTC, HM, Indy, BTMRR.
Lunch, Dinner and snacks
Downtown Disney for some shopping
DCA for Soarin', TOT and GRR
Enjoy the sites the smells and the sounds of being in Disneyland.
Ride Peter Pan, Alice, Dumbo, SL Canal Boats, Matterhorn, Space Mountain
Lunch Dinner and snacks
Enjoy the sites the smells and the sounds of being in Disneyland

After:

Endure the sadness of leaving DL
Plan the next trip
Try to figure a way to move to So Cal so I can work at DLR :~D

CoasterChickie
06-17-2005, 06:10 PM

I would have told her that some families are more affectionate than others and that I feel really sorry for her husband!! :D

Neon Cactus
06-17-2005, 06:21 PM
That would have been a good comeback. At the time I could not think of anythng to say.

I would have told her that some families are more affectionate than others and that I feel really sorry for her husband!! :D

Hakuna Makarla
06-17-2005, 06:34 PM
I would have snickered and kisses him again and again !! :) of course I am a rebel LOL!

CoasterChickie
06-17-2005, 06:49 PM
That would have been a good comeback. At the time I could not think of anythng to say.

To be honest , I probably wouldn't have said it, but I definitely would have thought it!!! :D

pirateabbie
06-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Before

Watch all my Disney DVDs in alphabetical order.
Read MousePlanet until I am forced to go to work.
Make a mix CD of Disney songs to listen to on the plane.
Make a list of all the restaurants where we want to eat.
Tell my sister she can't eat at 40 restaurants in 5 days.
Listen to my sister cry.
Tell my sister she can have churros between every meal.
Now my sister is happy.
Say, "I want to go now, now, now"

During

Ride Pirates over and over.
Buy a different "girly" hat each day.
Take a picture of each snack my sister eats.
Eat and drink too much at the Napa Rose.
Ride The Jungle Cruise at night.
Sing along in the Tiki Room.
Get as many fast passes as possible.

After

What? That's crazy talk. I'm not going home!

h_lehmann
06-17-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm from Southern California, so my patterns may differ from yours..

Before...
-- Pretend to my wife that the trip is a last minute idea, "since I have a day off from work, and I didn't really have anything else planned for today", even though I've been planning it for a week or two.
-- The night before, check diisneyland.com to find out what's open and what isn't.
-- The morning of the trip, check the freeway traffic web sites so that I can plan my drive to arrive at the the turnstiles exactly 10 minutes before they open.

During...
-- After entering the turnstiles, but before entering the tunnels, I say "We're in Disneyland!" to no one in particular.
-- Start the morning with breakfast at the River Belle Terrace; sit outside and watch the other guests arrive.
-- Ride Pirates at least once, because it's the best ride and no trip would be complete without it.

After...
-- No traditions here, other than getting back on the freeway and thinking about what I need to do at work the next day.

LOYL2DZNY
06-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Get a waffle cone every day and people watch from Main Street. I used to always get Fantasia, but now that it's gone, I get butter pecan. :)
:(

is this really true? no more fantasia ice cream?!?!

:confused:

disneygurl92
06-20-2005, 10:25 AM
I also live in sothern CA so i do things a little differently.

Before:
Study every disney web site, book, article, show, etc. that i can get my hands on.
Check Disneyland.com for showtimes and the atractions that will be closed.
Bug everyone by saying that they need to get ready faster so i can get to disneyland faster.

During:
Show off my Disneyland knowledge.
Eat at Pizza Port. ( I've been going with my friend and this is the only place she will eat.)
Buy as many souvenirs as possible.
Watch Fantasmic ( If my friend can stay awake long enough. She goes to sleep around 8:30)

After:
Cry really hard.
Brag that i've been to Disneyland. (Again)