PDA

View Full Version : A Day in the Life of a Disneyland Guest

splashmtngurl
06-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Sp here is one of the essays i wrote about Disneyland for my recent school project.

Let me know what you think!

splashmtngurl
06-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Over the past 50 years, millions of guests have entered Disneyland’s golden gates. Some enter in the hopes of uncovering the child within them; others enter in hopes of reliving fond childhood memories. Perhaps you, the reader, have never been to Disneyland. You may find it difficult to see Disneyland for more then an amusement park. You may not understand what Disneyland has done for the world over the years. It is possible you cannot visualize stepping onto Main Street or capture the essence of tumbling down Splash Mountain for the very first time. If this is in fact the case, I would like to travel to Disneyland, where I will show you this breath-taking world through the eyes of a Disneyland guest. From the moment they arrive in the park to the time they exit with a heart full of memories. So let your imagination run wild and prepare to embark on the journey of a lifetime. You, the reader, are about to experience Disneyland through the eyes of a Disneyland guest.
The sky is blue and crystal clear. A bubbly tune floats through the air, buzzing with excitement. As you cross the Disneyland Plaza you can hardly help but skip a little, in time with the lively song. Everywhere you look there are people. People laughing, dancing, taking pictures, telling stories, singing. As you join the crowd waiting to enter the park, you are overcome with the most complicated of feelings. Excitement for what lies beyond the golden gates in front of you, nervousness for what you may find. Somewhere beyond your range of thought, a bell chirps and the line begins to trickle slowly forward. A friendly cast member offers you a standard Disneyland park map as they slide your Disneyland passport through the scanner. Upon bidding you farewell, you step through the gate and officially arrive in the “Happiest Place On Earth”. At a lively pace you travel through the tunnel and step onto Main Street USA. On either side of you are quaint little buildings with gingerbread trim, studded with thousands of lights. Horse-drawn carriages and nostalgic omnibuses make their way down the paved street amongst the bustling crowd. The smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls and hot coffee drift from the Blue Ribbon Bakery, only to mingle with the sweet smell of Buttermilk pancakes at the Carnation Café. All around you are a number of goodies and treats you are dying to try but you know you must continue onward. A pang of disappointment for what you have left behind yet a throb of anticipation for what lies just ahead. And finally, the moment you have been waiting for, you arrive in the hub. Before you towers the beautiful castle. A sparkling array of pink and blue topped with gold spires and crowns. Below that stands the Disneyland Dedication Plaque, erected on that special day 50 years ago, when Walt Disney first dedicated his world of fantasy to the public. Satisfied with the moment, you are now ready to begin your day.
The drawbridge is down and the gates thrown open wide. A whirl of bright colors and happy faces blur to create a solid image of childlike imagination. You have just stepped into fantasyland, the one place you have dreamed of your whole life; a beacon of youth that represents Disney at its greatest. Upon taking your first spin in a Mad Tea Cup and thundering down the icy slopes of the Matterhorn Mountain you are ready to step into the world of tomorrow. Futuristically designed to capture the splendor of tomorrow within its attractions. You can race through space in matter of seconds or find out what its like to be shrunk to the size of a popsicle stick. Above you echoes the shouts of young ones, flying through the sky in their own personal Astro Orbiters. You are transported away into the future where everything coordinates with your imagination. Pleased with your ultra-modern voyage through Tommorrowland, its time to test your bravery in Adventureland. As you enter the damp depths of the Temple of Doom (Indiana Jones Adventure) in a worn safari jeep, your heart pounds wildly. With a scream and leap you are off on a journey that will send you into the heart of a forbidden temple where you narrowly escape being bitten by a snake and crushed by a 5-ton boulder. Time for something a little more simple. Pineapple Dole Whip in hand, you stroll leisurely into the Enchanted Tiki Room where you will encounter birds that talk and flowers that sing. Humming to yourself, you finally determine that its time to go in for a little more adventure. In New Orleans Square you are whisked back in time to the age of pirates, plunder and gory battles on Pirates of the Caribbean and then you hop on the Haunted Mansion to join the Happy Haunts in their midnight spree. The afternoon has grown quite hot; the sun splashed concrete radiating extra heat. Your frozen Dole Whip long gone, you decide to tumble down Splash Mountain with the hopes of getting soaked. As you near the watery briar patch, the flash of the camera overhead causes you to blink. This looks like fun. Right? Your fear begins to slowly ebb away as you cruise through the mountain amongst singing animals. Only does that fear return slightly as you take a free fall down the face of Chicapin Hill into the briar patch below. With a sigh of relief, you shake off the water and step back into the bright sun, time to take a breather.
Your special day is coming to a close, but its not over yet. As you head to Frontierland you anticipate the spectacular show that awaits you. You find your place amongst the crowd waiting along the Rivers of America, taking a seat on the warm concrete. The lights dim and the nighttime spectacular “Fantasmic!” begins. Water sprays your face as a parade of Disney animated movies waltz before your eyes. Applauding Mickey for his victorious dual with the evil queen Maleficent, you stretch your legs and walk at a brisk pace in the direction of Sleeping Beauty’s castle. Stopping in the hub, you arrive in time to see the castle lit up with thousands of pink and blue lights. The music begins and Tinkerbelle soars around the spires of the castle, beginning the salute to Disneyland’s Magical first 50 years. The last burst of color erupts in the sky, announcing the end of the “Remember… Dreams Come True” fireworks show. As you make your way down Main Street once again, notoriously delicious smells wafting through the air, you cannot help but giggle. The days events have proven so magical and memorable, its doubtful you will ever forget them. On your way out the gate you make a detour at the Disney Emporium to pick up a Disneyland Pictorial souvenir book. No, you will never forget. You exit the park to the upbeat tune of the Indiana Jones theme song. Sadly, your magical day has come to a close.
Time to return from your world of imagination. Hopefully you now understand the meaning of Disneyland. If not, let me explain. Disneyland may be popular for its creative use of urban technology and its abundance of fun attractions but it is known most importantly, as a dream. Disneyland is a giant dream, a dream that will continue to grow till the end of the earth. Through the eyes of a first time guest, Disneyland will appear to be a fanciful world where your dreams can soar and never stop. Even to the most frequent of guests, Disneyland will always provide the magic, luster and splendor as it did the first, fifth, tenth and twentieth times. Perhaps you can now imagine yourself tumbling down Splash Mountain or stepping onto Main Street. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Disneyland, seen through the eyes of a Disneyland guest.

tinkluver
06-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Very good! I could vision myself walking through the park. Oh how I wish I was there now! :D

sierranevada
06-05-2005, 11:31 AM
That was awesome (said as she wipes a tear from her eye :crying: ) Maybe if I get my non-disneygeek friends to read it, they might understand why I love the magic so!

Disneyland2004
06-05-2005, 11:44 AM
hahaha the color is wetellioned.

splashmtngurl
06-05-2005, 12:01 PM
thanks for the feedback, i didnt think anyone would read it.

pirateabbie
06-05-2005, 12:14 PM
That was a lovely essay! I sure hope your teacher agreed.

disneychelle
06-07-2005, 12:48 PM
That was sooooo good it gave me chills! You did fabulous in that essay you must be a disney junkie like the rest of us! :D :D :D I hope you get a fab grade on that and let us know!!!

The old man
06-07-2005, 02:27 PM
A slight critique--more paragraphs.

David

Eighty8Keys
06-07-2005, 02:38 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. For a few, brief minutes I wasn't in grey, rainy Portland. Thanks for sharing!

NYC
06-07-2005, 04:08 PM
I am a WDW veteran and planning my first trip to DLR in the April/May timeframe. Just want you to know that I thoroughly enjoyed your essay, and it makes me want to go to DLR now more than ever. Very nicely done. When time gets nearer to my vacation, maybe you can give me some much needed tips. I can sense your passion for DLR and have sooooo many questions for my upcoming trip.