PDA

View Full Version : Article in WIRED on Disneyland Hong Kong

coronamouseman
01-29-2002, 07:03 PM
Since there is no "site" for Disneyland Hong Kong, this site seemed the closest ("Disney Asia Site").

Article in WIRED magazine on Disneyland Hong Kong - very interesting to note that Disney has a much larger stake (something around 40%) in this park than in Tokyo parks.

Article also explores the issues of bringing American culture to China and potential pitfalls of such "cultural invasion".

Also interesting to note the writer's take on the Disney Corp's methods of operation .........

Iceman
01-30-2002, 04:32 PM
I haven't seen the article yet, but I'm looking forward to checking it out. By the way, I thought Disney had a 49% stake in Tokyo Disney. :confused:

Brad
02-13-2002, 03:26 PM
If it is true that the WDC has a smaller share in HKDL, that would explain its lacklustre opening lineup.

I say, let the OLC buy the WDC lock stock and barrel and be done with it.

Iceman
02-14-2002, 12:29 PM
I have now read the Wired article, and it was written with the mainstream media's usual bias against all things Disney. In fact, it was the cover story--how American culture is drowning the world using Disney as the case study. How typical!

barryb
02-15-2002, 02:21 AM
Hi,

The article is now online at

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.02/disney.html

BarryB.

coronamouseman
02-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Iceman: I guess the following little nuggest I pulled out of the article weren't perceived by others as interesting:

(1) Disney is upping their stake in this park - that they would be in for 40% on a venture which does appear to have some risk is something I found significant

(2) The discussion of how Disney was building an infrastructure to deliver Disney cartoons and shows to Asia was significant in my mind and illustrated perhaps one of Disney's greatest marketing ploys in establishing a synergy between their shows and their parks. Remember how the old Disneyland show would present some cartoon or made-for-tv film and then jump to some "informational" spots on Disneyland park?

(3) Yes, the article was focused on Disney but rightfully so - Disney is one of the most recognizable American franchises in the world so why would their attempts at success overseas not be headline stuff? I suppose one could look at Coca-Cola or McDonalds but since they already are worldwide that would be old news ..........