PDA

View Full Version : Best healthy food?

Pages : [1] 2

My2kidsrule
05-24-2005, 07:26 AM
My wife and I were talking about this the other day, so I figure I'll throw it out there: What's your favorite "healthy" meal or snack at DLR?

She had mentioned that a pineapple wedge is better tasting and more refreshing than a churro, but the tendency is to get the churro because it's "park food."

Frankly, I end up just eating dogs and burgers at the parks, but I love the grilled BBQ chicken sandwich at Taste Pilots (without sauce). Anyone else have anything they eat that works in a cautious, well-rounded diet?

hlbtimes2
05-24-2005, 07:48 AM
I always buy fresh fruit at the fruit carts. That is as healthy as things get! I buy fruit almost every day, but have never had a churro. Dont get me wrong, I dont eat totally healthy while I'm there, I just like the fruit. LOL

rentayenta
05-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Pasta with red sauce from Redd Rocket's is fairly healthy if you skip the meatballs.

A pickle if you aren't afraid of sodium.

Almost any salad with the dressing on the side.

But honestly, watching what I eat is not usually a priority or even a thought when I am at Disneyland, although it should be.

A few years ago I was on Weight Watchers while at Disneyland. I managed to make wise food choices but I wouldn't recommend it. ;)

Wendi
05-24-2005, 07:53 AM
I like fresh fruit, but even better is the sliced caramel apple... hey, it's healthy, it's an apple!!! I like the tuna sandwich at Whitewater Snacks too, not sure how healthy it is, but it's gotta be healthier than all the deep fried alternatives. If we have dinner at Storyteller's Cafe, I almost always have the salmon. Yamabuki is my favorite restaurant in the DLR, you can find lots of healthy stuff to eat there. Trail mix is good, and theirs is pretty healthy too, no candy in it, just fruit and nuts.

My2kidsrule
05-24-2005, 07:57 AM
Oh, I'm not on some militant diet or anything. We're just pretty healthy people, so I was just throwing it out there. I figure if I have dogs and burgers, I'll just have a little longer run in the morning before the park. As a side note, it's weird, but the times we've gone to DLR and I don't get a run or some exercise in the morning are the times I'm actually more tired at night. It's like I need to warm up before the walking/standing/riding.

Disneyfun
05-24-2005, 07:58 AM
Down Town Disney has Jamba juice.
The pineapple spears are my fravotire quick snack, My daughter likes the apples off the carts.
Red Rockets has great Salads.

And to even out the Monti Cristo( sp) at the BB I always 1sat shae with some one and order a side salad.

I also like frozen bananas but I do not like choclate so I just take the chocolate off and NOw I have a frozen healthy snack.

Yes I know I am weird I do not like chocolate!

nursemelis374
05-24-2005, 08:00 AM
I second the pineapple spears!

stan4d_steph
05-24-2005, 08:16 AM
Tacos from Tortilla Jo's Taqueria. Delish!

PirateSmile
05-24-2005, 08:19 AM
The cheesecake. What? It's good for your soul...

PragmaticIdealist
05-24-2005, 08:24 AM
My wife and I were talking about this the other day, so I figure I'll throw it out there: What's your favorite "healthy" meal or snack at DLR?

She had mentioned that a pineapple wedge is better tasting and more refreshing than a churro, but the tendency is to get the churro because it's "park food."

Frankly, I end up just eating dogs and burgers at the parks, but I love the grilled BBQ chicken sandwich at Taste Pilots (without sauce). Anyone else have anything they eat that works in a cautious, well-rounded diet?

-Bean burrito with no cheese and no chips.... Rancho del Zocolo

-Vegetarian corn chowder.... Pacific Wharf Cafe

-Capellini Pomodoro.... Wine Country Trattoria

-Vegetable panini.... Wine Country Trattoria

-Mardi Gras Salad (red and yellow peppers; green apples; carmelized pecans; field greens) with no bleu cheese and no dressing.... Blue Bayou

-Vegetarian gumbo with Tabasco sauce.... New Orleans Square

Shortiemetoo
05-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Whitewater snacks grilled chicken sandwhich. Big enough you only need to eat 1/2 and it comes with a green chilli and avacado (good fat). Just say no mayo!!!! Yummmmmm

mousey_girl
05-24-2005, 08:56 AM
I enjoy the sandwiches at Carnation Cafe.

Lani
05-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Pasta with red sauce from Redd Rocket's is fairly healthy if you skip the meatballs.Depends on what you're watching. If you're avoiding white starches (as in low-carbing it), the meatball is fine, but the pasta is a big no-no. Either way, though, the red sauce is good... and considerably better than any white sauce (that's full of butter and flour). One really healthy option is the kid's meal at Plaza Inn with rigatoni noodles and red sauce. You can get beans as your side, and apple sauce as your dessert. Very reasonable portions and you're not overeating on the pasta. If you're really hungry, add a side garden salad for a really well-balanced meal.

In fact, I find that the kid's meals are a really good portion (and they're cheaper, too). They never hassle me for ordering a kid's meal, and these days the parks often provide a healthier option for your side, like baby carrots instead of fries in your kid's meal. Muy bueno!

I like fresh fruit, but even better is the sliced caramel apple... hey, it's healthy, it's an apple!!!Uh-huh. ;) Actually, caramel is not very good for you. It's made with milk, eggs, and sugar (or just tons of sweetened condensed milk). Plain fruit is much healthier.

TikiGeek
05-24-2005, 09:55 AM
The Vegi-skewers at Bengal BBQ taste great and are healthy too. ;)

Disneyfun
05-24-2005, 11:10 AM
The Vegi-skewers at Bengal BBQ taste great and are healthy too. ;)
Duh WHy Did I not say that!. ANd ofcourse if you are going for no carb there BEef and Chicken sticks are good too!

My2kidsrule
05-24-2005, 11:18 AM
You know, I wish the turkey legs were good for you. They'd be better if you took off the skin, but when I eat one, i literally feel the butter and salt oozing through my veins.

One thing I don't understand is why McDonald's at DCA doesn't include the grilled chicken sammich on its menu. only 290 calories with 2 grams of fat without the mayos. Oh well.

wenderella
05-24-2005, 11:20 AM
For those watching carbs...Bengal Barbeque is AWESOME! The Safari Skewers (bacon wrapped asparagus) is to die for. My kids call them crickets...I guess they look like bacon wrapped crickets to them. :D But the chicken & beef skewers are good snacks and that little bit of sauce won't hurt you. YUMMMM!

05-24-2005, 11:25 AM
I am in that 10% of the population who are very sensitive to salt.

And I gotta tell ya, the food at the Disneyland resort is salty.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
05-24-2005, 11:33 AM
The grilled chicken sandwich at WhiteWater Snacks. You can have them hold the cheese and/or the guacamole (although I'm a big fan of the nutritional value of avocado) and have them hold the fries. They'll also substitute tortilla chips if you like, not the healthiest snack but better for you than fries and 3 points per dozen. tod will tell you about me and french fries, every once in a blue moon I succumb to some and he'll say "what? You're eating deep-fried sticks of death?" They also have green side salads in the refrigerated case but I don't think they'll sub those, it would be an extra. Also brewed iced tea-a nice break form carbonated beverages.

-TLMt

mkcbunny
05-24-2005, 02:52 PM
When we are not succumbing to hankerings for salts and sweets, we go for:
- Fruit at the carts
- Salad at the Wine Country Trattoria
- Salad at the Uva Bar just inside Downtown Disney
- Frozen banana [Ok, it's sweeet, but it's just a banana]. But you have to be patient and wait for it to thaw out. They are ROCK hard when first out of the ice cream cart. you could break a tooth on one of those bananas. Five minutes of patience will save your teeth, and they taste better when they havee thawed a bit.

uvsc_wolverine
05-24-2005, 03:43 PM
The Monte Christo is healthy, right? Isn't it? Please?

MrsG
05-24-2005, 05:33 PM
I go for the pineapple spear everytime over the Dole Whip. And definitely the chicken and veggie skewers at Bengal BBQ (don't care for the beef at BBBQ).

disney jones
05-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Bengal BBQ chicken skewers.

kohl
05-24-2005, 06:42 PM
What about ice cream. It's calcium, RIGHT!!!!! :D

GrumpyUTboi
05-24-2005, 07:28 PM
The popcorn in Critter Country is really healthy, that is if you are not diabetic. You know the healthy popcorn I am talking about. The one covered in thick rich honey! Plus the little honey pot is pretty cool as well. (I can't wait till we go again so I can get another honey pot or three)