PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: My Homecoming (long)

blusilva
05-14-2005, 02:52 AM
Tonight was my first trip back to the Park after a 10 month AP hiatus. The objectives for the evening: get my new pass processed, watch parade, grab a hub spot for the fireworks, sing like the birdies sing, get golden ears, go home.

Well, Friday the 13 had some strange luck in store. But it all worked out in the end!

Stuck in traffic, it took me two hours to get to the Park - about 45 minutes longer than I had hoped. I managed to get in the gate just as the 7:45 parade started. My friend was camped out at a primo spot at the hub - I just couldn't get there. In fact, I couldn't get anywhere. People were packed in six deep and just not moving. I took advantage of the stall to hop into the AP Center and get my pass. I missed a good chunk of the parade, but liked what I was able to see. I was impressed by the Lion King float (the animatronics on that are really amazing!) and was thrilled that the final float featured the music "Hail to the Princess Aurora", who is my fave.

I saw Maynerd at the Opera House and said "hi"! That was a special bit of homecoming to me, because to me he's the ultimate CM. I've seen him at attractions all over the Park, and he's always funny, friendly and a showman.

I tried following the last float down Main Street. It was a crush of people, barely moving. Crowd control? None. Sidewalks? Hopelessly gridlocked. I finally managed to get to my friend and we jockied for position for the fireworks. Despite some confusing instructions given by the CMs as to which side of the ropes we needed to be on, we found a spot which was as good as it was going to get - behind a tree at the back of the hub on the Plaza Inn side. OK, so the tree was bad luck, and partially blocked our view of all the big bursts, but we had a good view of the Castle and the Matterhorn.

Thanks to the Mouseplanet staff for the terrific article a couple of days ago about primo viewing spots, my first experience with this show was incredible. I don't know if I could do it again - I hate having waited in a spot for well over an hour only to have some family of six with two strollers jump the rope and get in my personal space when Tinkerbell is flying. My only complaint about the show is that only a tiny fraction of people will ever experience it as it's meant to be seen. I felt bad for everyone behind us who wouldn't be able to see the castle lighting effects, or thrill to fireworks whizzing all around them. But I also was grateful for my Mouseplanet-induced good luck to know exactly where we should go!

I adored the Pirates segment and the tribute to ATIS and the Subs. It really choked me up.

Then, the aftermath. We were herded in babysteps with the teeming thousands from our side of the hub into Frontierland. It was the only option. Not a good plan. I hope they get the crowd control figured out before the summer starts. It's going to be seriously dangerous if it gets much worse.

Starving, we paused briefly at Zocalo, only to find it closed. So we jumped back into the mosh pit moving in the direction of Stagedoor Cafe. My friend spotted a table in the very back, between Stage Door and the Riverbelle and went to stand in the glacial line for food while I held the table. By the time our order was ready, Fantasmic! came to life, and to our surprise we found out our seats were pretty good!

We hung out about a half an hour to avoid the herd, and then made our way over to Adventureland intending to see the Tiki Room in all its new glory....alas, it was closed. But the Dole Whip stand was open! That's gotta be a first! I was very impressed with the refurbishment of the outside of the Tiki Room and the Adventureland gates. I've never seen it so vibrant.

Next mission was the golden ears, which I've coveted ever since the first picture was posted here. But, whoa, everyone else in the Park had the same idea. So, Opera House it was. I really liked the pre-show exhibit, but thought the film was a bit too cutesy. When it was over, the hat line stretched all the way into the post-show lobby, so we accepted that the golden ears were just not to be ours tonight.

As we stepped out into the night, who do you think we happened to see entertaining a very light crowd in a nearly hidden corner? Mickey himself, all spiffied up in his party clothes! We shared hugs, thanked Mickey for the celebration and told him we'd be back soon (to which he gave us two thumbs up!). Then the clock struck midnight and "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls...." Time to leave.

Well, almost. The wait for the tram was 40 minutes long.

All manner of luck tonight. But it was magical. And I'm glad to be back home at Disneyland!

Hakuna Makarla
05-14-2005, 06:27 AM
very nice report, seems way to buisy for me wow I would never survive! Glad you got to do almost everything, hope you get your ears before summer crowds :)

Shortiemetoo
05-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Wow!! You saw all the major shows in just a few hours!!! Glad you had a good time and hope you find ears soon!!!! :fez:

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Sounds like you accomplished what you wanted to.

blusilva
05-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Yes, we had a terrific time. And I'll get those golden ears soon! I'm sure of it!