PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Closure

Disneyfun
05-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Okay I have looked back and tried to find th eorginal post but some one asked about why Pirates whas going to be closed for so long. I do not now if they ever got a reply BUt I might have some information.
I was listening to an old pod cast from mousepod, And he quoted an aritcle by Jim Hill Tha talked about a night time version Of Pirates. It sounds very interesting and if they pull it off I want to be there! This change would take a bit of time Which could be the reason for the long closure.
So from the great vine of he said he siad.... This is what I got~

GrimGrinninGhost
05-13-2005, 10:49 AM
I think I know why, they added a new ater affect at the pirate ship battle where water shoots wayyyyyyy up in the air, get an umbrella lol...thats probably why it was close because one week i was there it wasnt there, next week it was...so thats my guess

bradk
05-13-2005, 10:49 AM
the last unofficial update i've heard was that the daytime/nighttime scenario in POTC was placed on the backburner and not even being discussed at the moment.

the reported definite changes being made to POTC include a new digital / stereo sound system complete with new audio tracks. it's also probably receiving a thorough cleaning a la tiki room.

Powerslave
05-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Here's the "DisneyLies" site post: (take with a HUGE grain of salt -- and a chuckle!!)

http://disneylies.com/rumors/index.html

Will Disneyland be making changes to the Pirates ride so that it is a different ride at night? (2/16/05)

A recent online article revealed that Disney is indeed considering adding to the beloved Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, giving it the capability to turn into a very different attraction after the sun goes down. Inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (and its upcoming sequels, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearls, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl III), Imagineers have drawn up preliminary plans for a ride modification which would make Pirates a horrific ride after the sun goes down.

The plan is to expand the ride's path into the current boat storage area, through unused (and badly flooded) areas of New Orleans Square's underbelly, and out to the Rivers of America (much as Splash Mountain briefly enters the river). In this new ride section, to be used only at night, horrifying dead pirates with flesh hanging from their bones would attack passing guest boats, firing cannons and throwing knives while singing a "corrupted" version of the famed Pirates song. In scenes unfit for small children, skeletal pirates will sell their captives into slavery and chase after women for food they crave but can not enjoy. When guests reach the Rivers of America, they will find themselves face-to-face with the Columbia, decked out in pirate gear, and firing upon them with all guns.

Initial plans call for adding some 600 feet of ride experience, adding 90 animatronic figures, and adapting all current figures so that they can switch to scary "night mode" on command. An alternative, "Eisner safe" proposal has also been drawn up which includes putting scary hats on existing animatronic figures (including pigs and cats) and instructing cast members to scowl.

It is expected that a final okay for these modifications will not be given until guest reaction to the "it's a small world" nighttime overlay "werewolves of the world" can be measured

Shortiemetoo
05-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Wow, how long and when will Pirates be closed? Thank you!

Disneyfun
05-13-2005, 11:05 AM
How long will it be closed?
I herd something like three months.

As for the night Pirates yes This is what I heard too except..... I do not hink They (Disney) Would ever! Allow a ride not suitable for kids.... And two there is no way they would have the ride go int Riversa of America and inter act with the Colimbia. This would mean the end of FAnstasmic or POTC would have to be closed during the show. DO not seeing htis happening real soon.

ken001b
05-13-2005, 12:58 PM
WOW People!!!!

He said to take it with a grain of salt.

The entire story was written in an extremely sarcastic tune.

I am sure the updated audio and slight tweaking with a few animatronics is on the way...but by no means was the rest of the article meant to be taken literally.

AmandasDad
05-13-2005, 01:35 PM
It is expected that a final okay for these modifications will not be given until guest reaction to the "it's a small world" nighttime overlay "werewolves of the world" can be measured

I got this image of all the small world characters with red glowing eyes and fangs singing:

It's a world of horror
A world of tears
It's a world of death
And a world of fear
There's so much that we scare
That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all

nsyncitnd1787
05-13-2005, 07:22 PM
I got this image of all the small world characters with red glowing eyes and fangs singing:

It's a world of horror
A world of tears
It's a world of death
And a world of fear
There's so much that we scare
That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all

that's funny. i can picture it now.... ~humming the tune~ it's a world of horror... lol so funny.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-14-2005, 09:09 AM
I will be VERY disappointed if that night time Pirates ride happens. My 3yo loves POTC, he would ride it all day long if we let him. I would not take him on what is described in that "rumored" story. That sounds to scarey for kids and it would be stupid in my opinion to change a classic.

The ride will be down when we go this fall. I don't know how we will explain it to our son. He will be devastated. At least RR will be open, that is his second favorite. And hopefully he will be 42 inches and can go on Mulholland Madness, he has been wanting to go on it since our last trip. And is eating all his dinner so he can grow tall enough for it. LOL

vegasmommytoDL
05-14-2005, 10:00 AM
hopefully he will be 42 inches and can go on Mulholland Madness, he has been wanting to go on it since our last trip. And is eating all his dinner so he can grow tall enough for it. LOL

Awww my 3 year old really wanted to get to 42 by the time we take our trip in 3 weeks... she has been eating like I told her to and everything. I was afraid she would be a smidge too short but I found some Disney Princess sneakers with a semi-platform bottom lol. It puts her at 42. When we go to carnivals and they say they need to measure her.... she stands on her toes! One of the carnies taught her that once and now she always does it. I think I'll tell her not to do that at Disneyland.... they would probably think I put her up to it.

Don't worry guys... I only let her get away with that if she is only about 1 inch short. I won't put her in danger!