PDA

View Full Version : Rental car to get from LAX to DLR, How's the traffic on Sat afternoon/evening?

disneyberry
04-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Okay, now I'm starting to reconsider not having a car... Plus car rental rates are very cheap for the weekend we're coming. (And this would make getting to Souplantation so much easier.)

The only thing holding us back is we hate getting lost while driving and we're wary of the L.A. area traffic.
So, how is the traffic going from LAX towards Disneyland on a Saturday afternoon to early evening?

We can choose from a non-stop flight arriving 6:30pm in LAX or a connecting flight arriving around 3pm in LAX.

Also, is this an easy drive? Or is it easy to get lost? We don't normally drive since we're from NYC and don't own a car. We only drive on vacation (at WDW) or when visiting our folks down the Jersey Shore. Hence... our navigational and driving skills aren't so great. :(

TIA for your help!

Niwel
04-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Traffic times vary. One recent Saturday there was an Angels game and a U2 concert the same night only a few blocks apart. I've done it in about an hour on a Friday.
It is fairly easy to get there -- the signs are marked and you won't have to take streets (except from the car rental place to the 105 and the 5 to whatever hotel you are at, but the rental place should be able to highlight a map for you).
Take the 105 East to the 605 South to the 91 East to the 5 South... 105 has a carpool lane as does the 91 (although there has been construction on and off).

Hope that helps :)

disneyberry
04-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks. So I guess I might want to look up if any events are going on that Sat (5/14). Do you think there'll be a big difference in traffic between 3pm and 6:30pm? Since I have a choice, I'd rather pick the better time.

Also, it'll only be myself and DBF. Is 2 people enough to be in the carpool lane?

Niwel
04-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Two people works for carpool - even if it is just you and a child ;)
3 p.m. might be a better time ... then you can enjoy an evening at Downdown Disney since it will take you time to get your bags and the car and get to Anaheim and check-in...

SarahJanet
04-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Keep in mind you can always rent a car in Anaheim and just take the shuttle from the airport. I live in fear of the LA freeway, so this suited us just fine. A number of the hotels along the strip have car rental offices.

disneyberry
04-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Keep in mind you can always rent a car in Anaheim and just take the shuttle from the airport. I live in fear of the LA freeway, so this suited us just fine. A number of the hotels along the strip have car rental offices.This would add extra cost to it though. We'd have to pay $30 one-way for supershuttle to Anaheim on top of the rental car fee.

We're a bit scared of driving in L.A. also, that's why I posted this to ask about how bad the drive is from LAX to Disneyland.

I don't know, driving in L.A. is the only way the locals do it, but it's got such a bad reputation that visitors are afraid to drive. I guess being from NYC, where it's stupid to drive in the city, makes it even worse for us...

disneyberry
04-13-2005, 04:25 PM
BTW, so I take it that Sat 3pm traffic will be no different from Sat 7pm traffic?

teach
04-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Having just come back from a trip, the first time with a car rental, I highly recommend renting a car. The cost is really quite reasonable, the driving in the city is not as bad as described (with a bit of planning and a good map), and if you are planning to visit other areas, the car is invaluable. My opinion, go with the car rental.

spectromen
04-13-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm inclined to think the 7pm drive might be slightly easier. By that time, most people are heading towards LA/Hollywood and not down to OC, but it's a crap shoot.
The drive to Disneyland from LAX is easy and I can't imagine getting lost (then again I've been doing it for 30 years :) There's no reason to FEAR driving here - it's no different from any other major metro area, really. Those who are not from here are conditioned to believe it's some unfathomable beast when all it is is high population and nothing more. Don't stress - you're from NY, you know how to hustle and get where you need to go independently - this should be a walk in the (Central) Park. :)

JeffG
04-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Traffic can sometimes be very heavy on Saturdays, particularly if the weather is nice and a lot of people are getting out to do things. In the L.A. area, generally Sundays and major holidays are the only days that get something of a reprieve from rush hour, and even then there is still a chance at getting into some heavy traffic.

Fortunately, the route from LAX to Disneyland is somewhat in the opposite direction from the typically most heavy traffic flow in the area. You are moving away from the beaches and away from Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and some of the other higher traffic recreation areas. You still could run into some major traffic jams, but the odds are somewhat in your favor.

One thing I would strongly advise is to look at maps and work out one or two alternate routes. You should then listen to traffic reports (tune to AM 980 or 1070 for the most frequent reports) and make any needed adjustments to your route.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting lost, as long as you do take the time to work out the routes before you arrive. The major alternatives are pretty much all freeway routes and they do tend to be generally well marked. As a warning, you won't see any signs specifically directing you to Disneyland until right before the exits off the 5 and you also won't see signs directing you to Anaheim until you get into Orange County. Instead, you should just keep in mind that all the freeways you will be taking will be either eastbound or southbound and keep track of which should be which.

-Jeff

sunfun94
04-13-2005, 09:47 PM
It really is going to be a crap shoot either way...both times have their options and such..
as far as getting here to OC...it should be very easy....and the exits are marked well but they come up kinda quick sometimes...
405 south to 22 east to 5 north (where the 22 and the 5 meet is effectively know as the Orange Crush..its where 3 freeways come together but it is signed real well! ) and exit Katella turn Left .. drives you right into the resort area... :)
Have an awesome trip!

Bigiver
04-13-2005, 11:42 PM
We also just come back from a trip to DL. I also would highly recommend renting a car. The cost is actually some of the lowest rates in the country, for a week it was over $200 cheaper than Las Vegas. The freeways were not bad at all. The rental car company had a discription on how to get to DL and the Candy Cane Hotel where we stayed had a map for us on how to get back. We went to the ocean one day and downtown LA another. That was on a Saturday during Easter week and freeways were empty. That night however there was a concert at the convention center and it took us 45 minutes to get the five blocks from Interstate 5 to our hotel. When we come back we will rent a car again. Have fun, Bigiver

sediment
04-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Try to get a car with the GPS thingy and real-time traffic updates.
There are various ways to get from LAX to DLr. The optimal way can vary according to the traffic conditions. And unless you can understand speed-talk Traffickese that's performed on the radio, it's virtually impossible to know which way is best.
That said, The 105 to The 605 to The 91 to The 5 is a good one. (And if you don't say "The" we'll know you're from out of town.)

SCUBAbe
04-14-2005, 08:51 AM
one thing that is difficult to predict is traffic...it's southern cali.. there is always traffic. the question is then how bad will it be and that depends on accidents which can't be predicted. Two weeks ago I drove to DL and there was no stop and go traffic at all. last weekend the freeway was stopped for about 15 min nobody was moving. Some people in trucks were driving up over the dirt and off the on ramp to get off the freeway. It was crazy, but then it just opened up and I still don't know why it was stopped.

if you encounter traffic just go with the flow. there's nothing you can do about it. My father likes to complain the entire time and snap at people...which makes for a stressful ride. I just listen to music, roll down the windows, open the moon roof and enjoy the day...:)

D-lander 1956
04-14-2005, 11:27 AM
That said, The 105 to The 605 to The 91 to The 5 is a good one. (And if you don't say "The" we'll know you're from out of town.)

:D :D :D
Also to clarify, The 105 EAST to The 605 SOUTH to The 91 EAST to The 5 SOUTH and get off at Disneyland Dr. Ball Rd exit. :)

Rent a car-it's the ONLY way to get around here! If you are from NYC, traffic does not even compare to NY madness. The freeways should be fine on Saturday with the car pool lanes. Take Sediments advice above, map every thing out on Mapquest before you go, plus carry a good map and you'll be in DD by dinner!