PDA

View Full Version : Dinner at Club 33 recommendations?

AmandasDad
04-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I'll be having dinner at Club 33 for my 40th birthday. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to have for dinner or dessert?

ken001b
04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
They just changed the menu over to their Spring menu in the past two weeks...the last time I was there I had the halibut with lobster and it was amazing.

Cant wait to hear what you think of everything.

sediment
04-12-2005, 01:24 PM
I'll be having dinner at Club 33 for my 40th birthday. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to have for dinner or dessert?
I think you'll be better off surprised.

Opus1guy
04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
They just changed the menu over to their Spring menu in the past two weeks

We dined there for dinner with friends from France just this past Sunday night (April 10th) and they still had the Winter Menu. Marcel said the new Spring Menu will be popping up around the 20th. Perhaps they were "testing" it when you were there or something?

I highly recommend the Chef's Prix Fixe Dinner Menu. It's 5 courses for $75 (a little 6th bonus course if you're dining with the Member). For an additional $35 you can get the wine pairing with a different wine with each course. Fantastic!

Rather go à la carte? Then just pick out something that sounds good to you, and it most likely will be! Of course, you can never go wrong with the Chateaubriand, IMHO. ;)

Enjoy!

AmandasDad
04-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Sounds great Opus. If the Prix Fixe something you have to arrange in advance?

AmandasDad
04-12-2005, 03:21 PM
And how is the wine selection?

Opus1guy
04-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Sounds great Opus. If the Prix Fixe something you have to arrange in advance?

Nope. You order it when you get there if it looks good to you.

And how is the wine selection?

Excellent. While Chef Marcel St. Pierre is primarily the culinary guy and Club Manager Jeff Plumb is the wine guy, they both collaborate on the parings and you won't be disappointed. Jeff knows how to find good wines at reasonable prices for this special menu. Jeff is very experienced in wines. He has a long resume in the wine business, and for Disney helped design and open Hook's Pointe when it converted from the old Shipyard Inn. In addition to managing Hook's Pointe, he managed The Wine Cellar and also helped create Napa Rose with Michael Jordon (and still advises), among other things. He's pretty much one of the tops in management in Disney's "food chain" and is generally credited by Club Members with "revitalizing" the Club's food and service after taking over the management of Club 33 a couple of years ago.

As a result, you not only get good parings on the Prix Fixe Vintner's Menu, but also a good value IMHO. And they are generally very liberal with their pours (and/or re-pours ;)).

I usually order it in some kinda humorous way like, "Gentlemen, I place my palate in your very capable hands and trust you to take care of it. The Vintners Menu with the paring, please." I've never been disappointed. :)

If my guests or I are more into the wine that night, we generally order à la carte on both the food items and the wines, so that we can bump up the wine experience a notch or two. But I don't think you'd be disappointed with the parings they've selected. Not at all.

I look at the Prix Fixe as a downright bargain. The Prix Fixe with one cocktail added, plus tax and gratuity, usually runs $150 per person. While à la carte usually ends up costing more with fewer courses because of the price of the bottles of wines we usually end up ordering.

KarenW2
04-12-2005, 04:57 PM
in all the times we've eaten at Club 33, I haven't seen what I would like on the price fixed meal, so I always end up going with my dinner ala carte. My husband has gotten it several times, with wine pairings, but was very disappointed one time in particular, when they specified a particular wine that would be coming with the meal and substituted one that wasn't even on the list, without telling him in advance and asking what he would prefer!

This was especially bad, because the reason he chose the price fixed with the pairings that night was because of that particular wine! He was told it wasn't available by the glass, but only with the price fixed meal. If he'd known in advance that they were out of it, he would've ordered something else.