PDA

View Full Version : How do you make symbols with keystrokes?

Hakuna Makarla
03-06-2005, 07:20 AM
I see all over people making weird symbols and such, how does one do it with the keyboard? is there a site that has them all ? I really would like to know how things are done! also I saw where some one here put a little pic of a girl with braids in one od her sentences. how does one do that? or put different smilies in here? thanks so much

Alex S.
03-06-2005, 07:29 AM
Can you point me to examples of weird symbols and the girl with braids?

If you just mean special characters, that is done by useing HTML character codes to get symbols not on your keyboard. You can find a list here http://www.tntluoma.com/sidebars/codes/

For example: ℜ

Opus1guy
03-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Also (if you're using Windows) there should be a handy little tool called "Character Map" right on your computer already.

You go to the Start Menu (most likely on the lower left of your desktop screen) and then go to Programs and then Accessories. If you don't see it listed there, continue on into the Systems Tools and you'll find it there.

It will bring up a window showing all the different characters. Then you can select one and you can either "Copy" it from the tool or just read the keyboard shortcut for that character that displays in the lower right of the window.

Hakuna Makarla
03-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Also (if you're using Windows) there should be a handy little tool called "Character Map" right on your computer already.

You go to the Start Menu (most likely on the lower left of your desktop screen) and then go to Programs and then Accessories. If you don't see it listed there, continue on into the Systems Tools and you'll find it there.

It will bring up a window showing all the different characters. Then you can select one and you can either "Copy" it from the tool or just read the keyboard shortcut for that character that displays in the lower right of the window.

This stuff went right over my head LOL! thanks for trying to help me. I saw where Adrianne wrote a word then put a line thru it once, I was wondering how to do that to but I think I better stick to blond jokes and not try to do things that go way over my head :rolleyes:

SallySkellington
03-06-2005, 10:56 AM
This stuff went right over my head LOL! thanks for trying to help me. I saw where Adrianne wrote a word then put a line thru it once, I was wondering how to do that to but I think I better stick to blond jokes and not try to do things that go way over my head :rolleyes:

That's part of VB code. Just put {strike} {/strike} around the words you want a strike through (and remember to use [ ] instead of {}).

Hakuna Makarla
03-06-2005, 11:11 AM
?????
so I put [ ] around the word and put this / thru the word? [wo/rd]

ok it did not work

SallySkellington
03-06-2005, 11:17 AM
If you click on the reply button on my post, you can see exactly how it's done.

Like this!

Hakuna Makarla
03-06-2005, 11:24 AM
If you click on the reply button on my post, you can see exactly how it's done.

Like this!

ok dokie ! cool!

thank you Sally :)

mystycalchyk
03-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Oh and the 'girl with the braids'...that was me http://www.uruobsession.com/staff/Mysty/mystysig.jpg

Thats a pic I use as my avatar elsewhere. I drew it years ago using the basic paint program that comes on the compy. I have it uploaded to my site and then using [img] tags put it here. It's not a pic that can just be created using 'keystrokes'

The two main 'keystroke' characters I use are 'º' and '¢'.

º (the degrees symbol) is created by holding the ALT key and on the 10 key numberic key pad typing in '0186'

¢ (the cent symbol) is created by also using the ALT key and the 10 key pad and pressing '0162'

play around with the ALT key and the 10 key pad and you will find several :)

SzczerbiakManiac
03-09-2005, 01:30 PM

You go to the Start Menu (most likely on the lower left of your desktop screen) and then go to Programs and then Accessories. If you don't see it listed there, continue on into the Systems Tools and you'll find it there.And if you still can't find it, go to Start, click Run, type "charmap" (without the quotes) in the box, and then click [OK].

hbquikcomjamesl
03-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Also (if you're using Windows) there should be a handy little tool called "Character Map" right on your computer already.And if you're on a Mac, you should find something called "KeyCaps" among your desk accessories. For Linux, at least if you're using Gnome as your GUI, it would be "Character Map," the same as in WinDoze.

davebert4
03-26-2005, 06:46 AM
testing my countdown clock