PDA

View Full Version : 1/1 Changes in 50th Hotel packages

jiminycesq
01-01-2005, 01:42 PM
When the 50th anniversary packages first came online some months ago, for stays beginning 5/5/05, there was quite a response as I recall. At that time, I checked for some days around the birthday in July, but only very expensive packages were available. However, the deposits were due by 12/31 in full.

Looking at the "new" website mentioned on the boards yesterday (the 31st), I saw the link to a special online hotel offer and explored it a bit. It was the same offer available earlier - but, now dates around the birthday were open at the Disneyland Hotel! Still expensive - but not as bad as they had been earlier. Probably some folks cancelled and the spaces opened up. I noted that the "exclusive clock" offer had a little more descriptive detail. Now, I am hoping that some sort of event package will be available later, but I decided to make a reservation for three nights atarting 7/15 and went ahead and booked. After all, even though full payment was due, there is cancellation without penalty up to 30 days before arrival, so I considered it insurance.
And, it was noted that this package offer expired 12/31.

Being curious, I went back today (1/1) and indeed that package is no longer available. Now there is more of a routine "magic" package with early entry and some sort of anniversary certificate, but no clock. And, it wont take reservations starting 5/4 at any Disneyland hotel, but only 5/5 and on (it will earlier however - just not for visits starting on the 4th, if you want to be close by for gate opening). I had toyed with the idea of going then but figured if I was shelling out mucho bucks it should be on the birthday itself (I have never stayed at a Disneyland property).

Interestingly, though, the "magic" package with early entry etc. is available starting 5/4 at many neighbor hotels - at savings of several hundred dollars. Bear in mind that this package includes the "Toontown" early entry for one of the 4 days, and Fantasyland early entry for another of the four days (limited to Thursday or Saturday). I would assume since the 5th is Thursday that the Toontown early entry would be Friday and the Fantasyland Saturday, if anyone is curious about such things as I am. The good neighbor packages lack the birthday certificate but otherwise seem essentially identical.

Also, these packages assume that a one person four day pass is worth $159 apparently, since it is an additional $170 to get a premium annual passport with your package instead, and these normally are $329. Since my passport expires early May, I just might do that instead of the "normal" renewal. Sure, I miss some discounts, but then again, I get a room for several days at a saving of $159, effectively. Its all in how you look at it, but, if you are thinking of coming on "unveiling day", you might want to consider that as an option for getting an annual pass as well. However, I am not sure whether the AP upgrade is available with the Disney properties themselves, since they werent available beginning the 4th when I wanted to come. (Yes - I know the Park is closed that day, but I would prefer to not drive in on the 5th itself, and the 4th will probably be the biggest attendance day in DCA history!)

Just thought someone out there might find these changes interesting. I am glad I booked at the Disneyland hotel over the birthday, but still hope some package event will be available for that weekend through the Merchandise program, as is indicated as a strong possibility on the disneylandgallery.com website.

See you there folks !

jiminycesq
01-01-2005, 02:08 PM
In looking at booking directly through two neighbor hotels - Candy Cane Inn or BW Park Place Inn - the direct rate for 3 nights with your separate purchase of a Premium Pass at $329 is still significantly less than the "good neighbor" package offered through the Disney vacations website upgraded to an AP. So, you effectively are paying about a $75 or more premium for lanyards, early entry and coupon book. It might be a good deal for visitors, but if you are thinking of getting a Pass this year, I recommend booking directly with the hotel of your choice and buying your pass separately.

Of course, one should always check their options! But at least in this case, for the dates I was checking, going "independently" was the best rate.