PDA

View Full Version : Peoplemover coming back?

ozbeauticn
10-20-2004, 08:54 AM
I met a lady at Disneyland and we were talking about different rumors we had heard and things we knew were being worked on, but one thing she said I hadn't heard here yet. She said, very matter of factly, that they habve been working on the peoplemover track and that it WILL be opening the same time Space Mountain does. I was like "Didn't Rocket Rods totally destroy the track so they would haev to totally rebuild it?" But she said that it would be really easy for them to put it back to peoplemover and thats what they were doing. She claimed to have friends that were CMs so she knew all of this for a fact. She also said that the new Space Mountain will be totally different and include loops and all that scary stuff. Is she just hearing diffferent rumors than I am? What do you think?

sediment
10-20-2004, 08:58 AM
She is yanking your chain on many levels. I wouldn't believe a word she says.

Andrew
10-20-2004, 08:58 AM
To take your questions in reverse order:
Space Mountain will be more or less exactly the same as it was when it returns, except that the on-ride soundtrack system will be integrated into the new cars and should actually work reliably. The track layout will be exactly the same.

Poor budgetary decisions (cutting the banked turns on the track) led to the structural weakening of the PeopleMover track by the Rocket Rods. An engineering survey could determine whether the track is still safe (or could be strengthened) for use with a slow-speed system. Given that fifty-year-old freeways and eighty-year-old bridges are routinely upgraded in this way, I'd think it wouldn't be too difficult.

Disneyfreak
10-20-2004, 09:21 AM
What she is saying is all false and that is a fact. Space Mountain will have a new track which is the same layout as the old one, a new soundtrack with trains, and new state of the art effects. The peoplemover track isnt possible to regain by the time space mountain returns and that goes double for the submarine voyage. If any of this is going to happen, it will happen around 2007/2008 when they redo tomorrowland again.

Forbin
10-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Maybe her 'friends' that are CMs are people who looked at Buzz Lightyear and went 'Wow I think they are bringing back the peoplemover'. And the CM? Charlie and Mike. :) Who aren't Cast Members, just some people who start with C and M.

jrad32
10-20-2004, 12:17 PM
I would like the Peoplemover back, but this woman's stories are all screwed up when compared with more reliable Disney sources at this and other websites.

oregontraveler
10-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Space Mountain has been down for refurb for how long? Who thinks they can get Peoplemover up by next year, either the hopeful July 17 date or the planned Novemeber re-opening.

ModHatter
10-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Space Mountain has been down for refurb for how long? Who thinks they can get Peoplemover up by next year, either the hopeful July 17 date or the planned Novemeber re-opening.

All things considered, Space Mountain is a much more complicated job than PeopleMover. The trouble would not be a time frame to complete the work. The trouble would be budgeting the money.

The rumor I have been hearing intermittently is that Tomorrowland will get another overhaul shortly after the 50th celebration is over. If PeopleMover is coming back, I would say it will be budgeted for that project, no sooner. But, I'm definitely hoping I'm wrong.

DisneylandForever
10-20-2004, 04:42 PM
I read something on SaveDisney that did say the PeopleMover might indeed make a comeback, but like DisneyFreak said it wouldn't be till 2008.

averagedork
10-20-2004, 06:01 PM
People mover= the imfamous makeout ride.

It'd be cool to have it back though. Through Star Tours it's still intact. Can they bring back the sky way too?

ModHatter
10-20-2004, 06:08 PM
People mover= the imfamous makeout ride.

It'd be cool to have it back though. Through Star Tours it's still intact. Can they bring back the sky way too?

Now now, your Omnimovers are the quintessential makeout rides. Oh, how I mourn the loss of ATIS... But PeopleMover was the rest your dogs ride. And if Tomorrowland ever hada full slate of open attractions, you might need a place to cool your heels again.

Opus1guy
10-20-2004, 06:15 PM
They might just throw and couple of Peoplemover trains up there and create a static display. You know? Like that Orgasmatron thing where the Rocket Jets used to be that doesn't do anything. All that hardware and I bet it doesn't even pick up DirectTV.

It would make the tourist photos look more interesting, at any rate. :(

ExPeRiMeNt629
10-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Space is going to be brand new, its not goint to have the same old track layout, it has been totally redone inside and out. Whats the next rumor their going to bring back Captin EO with a Peter Pan theme??

Opus1guy
10-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Whats the next rumor their going to bring back Captin EO with a Peter Pan theme??

That would make sense in a disappointing sort of way:

Tomorrowland, Neverland...what's the difference.

SoCalSteven
10-20-2004, 07:20 PM
EDIT: Removed.

Disney Vault
10-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Space is going to be brand new, its not goint to have the same old track layout, it has been totally redone inside and out. Whats the next rumor their going to bring back Captin EO with a Peter Pan theme??
I am almost 100% sure it is the same track layout. The inside had been all redone and there will be a brand new track but it is still going to the same track layout.

ModHatter
10-20-2004, 09:30 PM
I am almost 100% sure it is the same track layout. The inside had been all redone and there will be a brand new track but it is still going to the same track layout.

Well... I think it's somewhere in the middle. If I recall correctly, there will be a little "smoothing" to solve some areas were built before the computer era, but yes, aside from a few corrections, it should be the same layout.

SoCalSteven
10-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Well... I think it's somewhere in the middle. If I recall correctly, there will be a little "smoothing" to solve some areas were built before the computer era, but yes, aside from a few corrections, it should be the same layout.
I hope there is more banking than the old track. It was a little rouch in places where the track didn't bank.

BJW
10-20-2004, 11:18 PM
I don't know whether this means anything or not but I was on the Disneyland Railroad today and saw the old maintenance bay door for Rocket Rods was open at the back of the Innoventions building. You could see it when you look up before the train goes in the grand canyon tunnel. I don't know if this would have anything to do with a new pm or not. :confused:

ModHatter
10-21-2004, 12:47 AM
I don't know whether this means anything or not but I was on the Disneyland Railroad today and saw the old maintenance bay door for Rocket Rods was open at the back of the Innoventions building. You could see it when you look up before the train goes in the grand canyon tunnel. I don't know if this would have anything to do with a new pm or not. :confused:

Well, in the Today's Pics thread someone posted a picture of that. I suspect it is probably being used to install or remove an upstairs Innoventions exhibit, but I have no idea.