PDA

View Full Version : Maliboomer vs. Tower of Terror?

Pages : [1] 2

thinktink
10-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Hi, I noticed that the height requirement for TOT is only 40in. while the requirement for MB is 52in. Is the drop less on the TOT then the MB? I'm a wimp and won't go on the MB but I would like to go the TOT if it is a little milder then the dreaded MB :rolleyes: I have no problem with any other rides, I love Calif. Scream. Just not a big fan of the freefalls, I think my stomach is the one who does'nt like it, cause my brain says "go for it!". :D

mystycalchyk
10-07-2004, 10:15 AM
I will never..not once ever go on Maliboomer, but I love ToT :). So yes, it's definitely 'milder'. Maliboomer terrifies the snot out of me :eek:

itig
10-07-2004, 10:19 AM
ah come on, it's not that bad :) I rode MB on my last visit and it's over before you know. GO FOR IT!

thinktink
10-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Thank you, I can't wait now to go on the TOT!!!

GrumpyUTboi
10-07-2004, 10:29 AM
doesn't MB shoot you up then let you free fall, kind of like bding on a rocket ship?

CoasterChickie
10-07-2004, 10:32 AM
The Maliboomer is nothing....just enjoy the view for the few seconds that you're up at the top. It's over before you know it! Tot, on the othere hand, takes you up and down over and over and over again!! :~D

mystycalchyk
10-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Maliboomer is the bastion of all evil. The 'puke guards' should be evidence enough of the horrific snot depleting scare one would receive upon attempting to experience said attraction.

Tower of Terror while also a free fall does not insist that one see how stinking high they are going before the drop. The drop is not the problem, in my case, its the height that one must travel which which to drop. Which is the part of the whole thing that, as I have previously mentioned, scares the ever living snot out of me :D

rentayenta
10-07-2004, 10:35 AM
I haven't been on either of them. I cannot wait to take my 7 y/o on ToT. She likes scary things and has a strong stomach so I think she'll dig this.

itig
10-07-2004, 10:38 AM
I asked the CM about the 'puke guards' and she said they were to block the screams from travelling so far...

mystycalchyk
10-07-2004, 10:39 AM
I asked the CM about the 'puke guards' and she said they were to block the screams from travelling so far...

That's what they want you to believe :~D

Emma
10-07-2004, 10:42 AM
I completely disagree...

The Maliboomer is a walk in the park compared to TOT. TOT is actually scary.... Maliboomer is a cheap version of Knott's Supreme Scream, but in the opposite direction, and not nearly as high.

jasonpbyu
10-07-2004, 10:42 AM
M.B. is childs play. if you want the snot scared out of you, ride the 'big shot' atop the stratosphere in las vegas.

http://www.stratospherehotel.com/las_vegas_stratosphere_ride.html

you're already almost 1000 feet above the 'strip' and then it shoots you up... now that is terrifying.

Leap for Joy
10-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Maliboomer is easier for me to take because I know what to expect. Tower is great fun, but you drop (faster than freefall) and you rise over and over again, and the drop and rise heights vary. The lack of foreknowledge freaks me out way worse than the height, and the height is plenty.

But I still go! :D

mystycalchyk
10-07-2004, 10:49 AM
M.B. is childs play. if you want the snot scared out of you, ride the 'big shot' atop the stratosphere in las vegas.

http://www.stratospherehotel.com/las_vegas_stratosphere_ride.html

you're already almost 1000 feet above the 'strip' and then it shoots you up... now that is terrifying.

umm. yeah. no

hubby has ridden though...several times. It scared him snotless too :fez: . But he's a freak. He loves the Maliboomer too BTW.

I will admit I have never ridden the Maliboomer. I actually got into the queue once but couldn't go through with it. All I could remember was the time a couple of years ago that I rode the Scream Machine thing at Knott's Berry Farm and literally I shook for 10 minutes afterwards. It was the single worst 'ride' experience of my entire life, and I swore I'd never do anything like it again.
We were about halfway up...my hands were all sweaty and slipping on the bars and I was freaking out. I had my eyes closed and was crying to my hubby that I changed my mind and that I wanted off! When we got to the top, my eyes were still firmly shut and we were just hanging there during that pregnant pause before they plunge you to your death and he cheerily says "honey! look! I can see Disneyland from up here!"

I would have smacked him had I been able to let go of the vice like death grip I had on the thin flimsy little metal tubes that were the only thing keeping me from plummeting the 598347734589457645688 feet to the ground.

Riding the ToT was HUGE for me. I was really scared. But once it was over I was OK :fez: and now will ride it again.

Emma
10-07-2004, 10:52 AM
All I could remember was the time a couple of years ago that I rode the Scream Machine thing at Knott's Berry Farm and literally I shook for 10 minutes afterwards. It was the single worst 'ride' experience of my entire likfe, and I swore I'd never do anything like it again.
We were about halfway up...my hands were all sweaty and I was freaking out. I had my eyes closed and was crying to my hubby that 'I changed my mind...I wanted off!"

I did the exact same thing the first time I rode that... About halfway up, I was looking up and going, "How can we possibly not be to the top yet??? I want OFF!" I was seriously wanting to scream down to the ride operator to SERIOUSLY let me off the thing,

But it was actually really fun... It's the anticipation that's scary, not the actual fall. :D

Pedro2NR
10-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Maliboomer is cake. Don't worry about it. If you can enjoy the drops from CA Screamin' then you can also enjoy the drop at ToT and Maliboomer. There is at least 1 person who is scared on ToT everytime I go on it. When it's over, they always enjoy it bcuz they know they have survived a ride with a drop that isn't scary. The ToT is not scary. People always clap at the end cuz its fun not scary. I've never seen someone who was scared after coming out of that ride.

mystycalchyk
10-07-2004, 10:55 AM
I did the exact same thing the first time I rode that... About halfway up, I was looking up and going, "How can we possibly not be to the top yet??? I want OFF!" I was seriously wanting to scream down to the ride operator to SERIOUSLY let me off the thing,

But it was actually really fun... It's the anticipation that's scary, not the actual fall. :D

no.

I am not lying...the scream that ripped from my soul was the most primal sound I have ever heard in my life. It came from my toes and tore through me like a whirlwind.

If someone were to create for me my own personal private hell I would be forced to ride that thing over and over.

mystycalchyk
10-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Oh and yes, I am a drama queen.

I own it proudly. Tis what I am

*slaps on a tiara and walks around the thread*

:fez: <-- well a fez aint exactly a tiara, but it gets the point across :p

Lekta
10-07-2004, 11:51 AM
As far as I remember, and this is coming from one that needed to be forced on the Maliboomer, it only presses you quickly up, and gently lowers you down. My first experience on it was memorable indeed. Not only was I terrified of it, but, there was a teen ager next to me that was singing songs to God before take off.... if there is one thing that will frighten a person who is already frightened, it is someone singing the praises of God so that his impending journey will be safe.... :D

The difference between it and ToT is that ToT shoots up up, down, up, down, up down... Whereas the Maliboomer only shoots you up, then you glide down much slower.

My opinion is that ToT is a much more frightening ride if you are scared of the drops, while the Maliboomer is much more intimidating because you can see how high it goes and the speed at which it gets there.

I personally LOVE ToT and feel that the Maliboomer isn't at all frightening in comparision. If you can get past the part of actually seeing the height with which you will be sent at a high speed, it is a breeze.

Best of luck to you!

Disneyfreak
10-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Tower of Terror is worse, it is scarier then maliboomer. Those screens are also to block projectiles from hitting your face. Once there was a swarm of bees hanging around maliboomer and without those masks then there would be a problem wouldnt there? :fez:

Earkid
10-07-2004, 12:11 PM
I learned this in a Psychology class:

Being excited and being scared are identical emotions in your brain, it just depends what you decide to call it.

I have gone on both rides one time. I loved them both and was shakey after each. I will probably go on them again but I don't go on them every visit. While waiting for MB to blast off I kept saying to myself....you're excited, you're excited. LOL

I really enjoyed the bouncing after the initial MB blast off. Seeing the park from that high up was cool and you knew when you were going to go back up and down. In TOT you never know when the next drop will come and I don't like not being able to see where I'm going. It kinda gave me a headache, but still fun. I gave DH a pretty good bruise on his thigh where I grabbed and hung on for dear life. Luckily my hand wasn't a couple of inches higher. LOL

Darkbeer
10-07-2004, 12:24 PM
FYI, the difference in height limits has to do with the restraint system, and how the seats are designed. On the Maliboomer there is NOTHING besides the harness that holds you in, on ToT you are in a car, and the seatbelt system works better for smaller folks.

tahnok100
10-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Maliboomer is nothing compared to Supreme Scream. Maliboomer is shorter, slower and there is less time for anticipation.

You want scary? Try going on Supreme Scream on a windy day. Oh, and get a seat that faces the shadow so you can see just how high you are and how much higher you are going.

Maliboomer on the other hand is much tamer. You really don't have time to think about it too much, just enough time to enjoy it.

BTW, I ride both every chance I get ;) .

tinklover25
10-07-2004, 12:51 PM
I loved ToT but I wasn't sure if I would fit on Mali I am on the large side and I couldn't tell if the harness was just overhead of if it had to seat belt in..Anyone know or has anyone about 5'2 290 been on?

Earkid
10-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Sorry I don't remember specifics of MB except that it has the shoulder harness and I think a buckle between your legs?

My DH is 6'5" and about 260 and he has ridden MB several times and has never mentioned it being a tight fit.