PDA

View Full Version : What was Light Magic?

FantasmicFanatic
09-25-2004, 12:01 PM
I guess I never caught Light Magic when it was around. What was it? Why did it require these projector towers in Fantasyland? Shouldn't there have been projectors along thw whole paradre route? It was a parade type thingie right? Please tell! Provide pics! I MUST KNOW ALL! :-)

Thanx so much in advance y'all!

FF

Andrew
09-25-2004, 12:09 PM
You have mentioned That Which Must Not Be Named!

Here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/search.php?searchid=55144) are some search results; you'll find your answer there.

sami869
09-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/search.php?searchid=55144) are some search results; you'll find your answer there.

That seems to just take you to a page saying "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. "

cryan71
09-25-2004, 07:19 PM
A bad dream.

SallySkellington
09-25-2004, 07:37 PM
That seems to just take you to a page saying "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. "

Weird. It was working a few hours ago.
:confused:

JEFFJAGUAR
09-25-2004, 07:57 PM
One of the biggest mistakes the morons running DL ever made. It was supposed to be the reason they ditched the Main Street Electrical Parade and it was or should have been still born.

It lasted I think 1 season as the closing activity at DL where it stopped several times on the parade route and did its sad thing.

karl
09-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Since I was only inflicted by a few showings, I may be able to provide some sort of description...

A set of identical, very heavy floats would arrive under cover of night. Hundreds of miles of fiber optics would pulsate color and perform every cool thing they could do in the first minute. Frightening beasts would jump out and pull children out of the audience to dance with them. To cap the horror, everyone (well, only 1/4 of the people who could see the screens) would watch a very mushy commercial. Then they would vanish.

No, that wasnt it..

Ok, well, I can say it involved Pixies who tried performing Riverdance.

Numerous changes were made to the show. It only stopped at its a small world mall, and Main Street. If you werent in the right spot... It clogged Main Street.

Oh yeah, something about the very first dress rehearsal sold as the premiere to thousands of annual passholders.

D-lander 1956
09-26-2004, 09:48 AM
It was a horrible, lame and ________(insert any negative adjective here) attempt at a show/parade. Just awful!

Subsonic
09-27-2004, 09:12 AM
I was working there when the parade opened. When there was talk about all this fiber optic I was actually excited. I was hoping for an "updated" electrical parade. Which I think there still should be. Even though the technical concept of Electrical Parade wasn't that complex it still looked fantastic. Anyways, I then heard that the parade was going to stop at locations and do it's show. I've never agreed with that. I believe Lion King did that as well but at least Lion King took up a lot more space. Light tradgic was small in comparison. But yes, what Karl said, Riverdance just came out and was hugly popular. Disney completely embraced that and didn't didn't do something original. It was simply a huge disappointment. Some pixies dancing around with kids while a cheesy ad played on a movie screen. It was like that luminaria, I believe it was called, at DCA.

Andrew
09-27-2004, 09:41 AM
The fiber optics on Main Street, however, were beautiful. I believe they've since been removed.

Subsonic
09-27-2004, 09:57 AM
Fiber optics can be totally cool! I agree, it looked great on Main Street. I hope the next parade will be good. They just need a sweet upgraded EP :)

nursemelis374
09-27-2004, 10:04 AM
I am still trying to forget about the horror that was Light Magic

sediment
09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
Jim Hill did a six- or seven-part never-ending series on Light Magic. Couldn't find it on his site. Might have been at one of his temporary homes. Might have been here.

Here you go (Google never fails):

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=323

There is a box at the bottom with all the rest of the parts. Have fun, and remember, it was a previous management.

Permanecer Sentados
09-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Light Magic was just about the most wretched thing I have even witnessed in person. I was at the AP Premiere and vividly remember the crowd's not so nice reaction. I remember going to City Hall to complain. Not surprisingly, many others had beaten me there. It was one of the truly surreal moments in my life. In a BAD, BAD way.

AliciasMom
09-28-2004, 11:02 AM
I remember watching the television premiere of Light Magic with my family. I can remember my dad saying "They replaced the only thing (MSEP) I like at Disneyland with this piece of ______!" and the rest of my family (including me) just having a WTF look on our faces the whole time. Light Magic was a sad, sad thing

Merm8fan
09-28-2004, 12:31 PM
I agree that Light Magic was not a good idea for a "parade," and certainly not to replace ELP. However, I thought the music was wonderful (I still have an old park CD and listen to it on the drive to every DLR visit) and it had those awesome fiber optics. It's too bad there wasn't an effort to keep the fiber optics running as some sort of nighttime flair along main st.

tstan70
09-28-2004, 01:03 PM
So, after reading Jim Hill's articles, it sounds like there were a few people that got rich from slamming Light Magic on the internet - namely Al Lutz.

Does anyone know if Lutz was one of the two AP holders that were telling everyone to get refunds that fateful night? Sure sounded like that to me

sediment
09-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Famous, maybe. Not necessarily rich. (He begs on the internet instead of using pop-ups. Hard to tell which is the better business model.)
Did those people who got refunds give them to Al Lutz? Is that what you read? Just wondering.