PDA

View Full Version : What should be in Sleeping Beauty's castle?

Disneynerd
09-06-2004, 07:37 AM
I think there is a restaurant and gift shop inside the castle - is there anything else in there?
Does anyone think there should be some sort of dark ride or walk thru inside?

merlinjones
09-06-2004, 07:52 AM
The Disneyland castle features a walk-through diorama telling the story in window setpieces (closed since 9-11). The original version, designed by Eyvind Earle, Claude Coats and Ken Anderson featured stylized three-dimensional flats in the style of the film, amazingly cool (see the 60's era Fantasyland View-Master reels for a shot of Aurora form this diorama). This was replaced by a "doll and puppet" version, reminiscent of the Main Street Emporium Window displays, in the 1970's. (No restaurant in our castle - - too small).

Disneyland Paris has a great set of props, tapestries and stained glass windows that tell the tale. And a dungeon/cave with an AA Dragon under the castle.

I always thought it would be cool to have Aurora's bedroom, full size, at the top of the stairs (there is just enough room) - - used as a fancy meet and greet (she sits on the bed, floating lights representing the fairies outside a fake window). ...With a modified Eyvind Earle style set of diorama windows leading up and down the staircase. Basically, the first half becomes a queue for Aurora.

Incentive for Disney to do this: They could sell a lot of photos to little Princesses.

The Dragon cave could be built alongside the castle in the area behind Plaza Gardens... where a planter berm is now.

Susan L
09-06-2004, 08:19 AM
I always thought it would be cool to have Aurora's bedroom, full size, at the top of the stairs (there is just enough room) - - used as a fancy meet and greet (she sits on the bed, floating lights representing the fairies outside a fake window). ...With a modified Eyvind Earle style set of diorama windows leading up and down the staircase. Basically, the first half becomes a queue for Aurora.

Incentive for Disney to do this: They could sell a lot of photos to little Princesses.

The Dragon cave could be built alongside the castle in the area behind Plaza Gardens... where a planter berm is now.

That's a great idea. As a former little girl the castle walk through was always disappointing to myself and my sisters, we would always go through and at the end say "is that it". It would also be very cool if you could go outside upstairs and take in the veiw.

SarahShep
09-06-2004, 08:11 PM
wow...merlin, that is a fabulous idea! Too bad you don't work for/with/as someone who could implement that. And I know how crabby legal gets when "regular people" make suggestions. Maybe someone should slipe Ouimet a cocktail napkin with the essentials of the plan written out... LOL! Truly, though, genius idea. I love the dragon thing...it sounds way too cool.

Susan L...I feel ya about the boring thing. There are pictures of me in a stroller, when I was about 5 or so, sleeping quite soundly as my family is walking through the castle!

Christiii
09-06-2004, 08:18 PM
I just usd to LOVE it..still would it it was open...I was a big barbie fan when I was a kid tho..so that may explain it. it always seemed so magical and secret to have it hidden in the castle..I wish it was still open..and that they would add the dragon..that sounds really neat!

rentayenta
09-06-2004, 08:33 PM

My girls loved it the way it was but this is also a fantastic idea.