PDA

View Full Version : Do you "have" to do a Character Breakfast?

digdug
08-06-2004, 09:03 AM
We are leaving for DL on Sunday. We are staying at the PP hotel ( concierge level). I'd like to eat breakfast at the hotel on at least one of the 3 mornings we'll be there. Does everyone have to pay Character Breakfast prices? I'd rather just have breakfast and forget about the characters.

I guess I am under the impression that if you eat at the hotel, that's what you get. Can anyone clarify?

stan4d_steph
08-06-2004, 09:36 AM
As far as I know, there isn't any way to eat breakfast at PPH without having the characters. Storyteller's at GCH also has a character breakfast, but it's easy to avoid them if you choose to, so if you're looking for a table-service option, that might be the way to go.

Whitewater Snacks in GCH has a counter service breakfast that I enjoy; there are no characters. The breakfast biscuit sandwich is very good.

You also might try La Brea Bakery in Downtown Disney. The serve breakfast and it's on the way to the parks.

digdug
08-06-2004, 09:50 AM
stan4d_steph,

Thanks for the 411!! I've heard good things about the Whitewater Snacks in GCH. That may be a good choice for lunch as well.

CoasterChickie
08-06-2004, 10:19 AM
I don't think the character breakfast is automatically included with the PPH hotel. It costs about $25 per person. We're getting 2 free breakfasts with our travel package, but I'm letting the boys have them because I'm not a buffet kind of gal. There's a breakfast place right in the lobby where you can spend less, eat less, and not see any characters. :)

JeffG
08-06-2004, 10:59 AM
You might also want to try the Catal Uva Bar or Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney. I've heard good things about the breakfasts at both locations, although I haven't tried them myself (I'm not often at the resort early enough...)

-Jeff

Surfingstitch
08-06-2004, 11:03 AM
I believe there is a different side of the resturant if you don't want to do the character breakfast.

I was staying at the GCH and had regular breakfast at the Storytellers Cafe. I saw Chip, Dale and Pluto. They came by, but I didn't have to pay any extra charges.

I would contact the disneyland info line to find out about dining options.

tod
08-06-2004, 12:13 PM
When we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel a few weeks ago, we had an excellent breakfast at Granville's, a quiet oasis next to the razzmatazz of the nearby Goofy's Kitchen and substantially cheaper: If you don't want to go the stuff-yourself-with-all-you-can-eat with character interaction™ route it's a viable alternative. If Granville's weren't so doggone expensive for dinner I'd go back in a minute. The room has an understated elegance that would probably look beautiful in subdued light (appropriate to the early hour, the lights were up to full brightness at breakfast).

Not sure about the options at Paradise Pier, but I'll bet there's something that can accommodate you.

--t

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
08-06-2004, 02:24 PM
You might also want to try the Catal Uva Bar or Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney. I've heard good things about the breakfasts at both locations, although I haven't tried them myself (I'm not often at the resort early enough...)

-Jeff
WE ate at the Rainforest cafe in april and had the breakfast. It was AWFUL!!!!! Some of the worst food any of us had ever had. Tasted like it was all kept for hours on a steam table (and we got there at opening) and was rubbery, cold and HORRIBLE.

The Catel breakfast on the other had, was really really yummy.

rentayenta
08-07-2004, 05:10 PM
WE ate at the Rainforest cafe in april and had the breakfast. It was AWFUL!!!!! Some of the worst food any of us had ever had. Tasted like it was all kept for hours on a steam table (and we got there at opening) and was rubbery, cold and HORRIBLE.

The Catel breakfast on the other had, was really really yummy.

Ditto on the Rainforest Cafe. The food and service are horrible. It's like Denny's with a theme and pricier.

GrumpyUTboi
08-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Tod,

Of the subject for just a second. In your signature you have quote you have a link to a website that at the end states that if Gore would have been elected that the terrorists that attacked America would have been stopped? Is this what you believe?

tod
08-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Tod,

Of the subject for just a second. In your signature you have quote you have a link to a website that at the end states that if Gore would have been elected that the terrorists that attacked America would have been stopped? Is this what you believe?

I have responded to this privately. Let's keep this thread on-topic, shell we?

--t

CarlieB
08-08-2004, 05:02 PM
I can totally recommend Uva as a great place to get breakfast - we loved it there. We also had breakfast at the RFC and it was good, but then we had dinner there later on and it was pretty bad - not sure if I'd go again.

merlinjones
08-08-2004, 05:06 PM
You can have breakfast sans characters at the RiverBelle Terrace in Frontierland, nice view too.

missm
08-08-2004, 08:22 PM
I ate at the Rainforest Cafe and loved it. I loved the food, the wait staff, the atmoshpere, the drinks, everything. I've never had there breakfast but there dinner is great. Expensive though. How much is the Granville breakfast? Just on average. Also, I haven't done a character breakfast since I was a kid (I'm 25 now). In your opinion should I do one on my next trip. I have some newbies coming with me that are also my age. Would it be too cheesey?

cstephens
08-08-2004, 09:13 PM
How much is the Granville breakfast? Just on average.

Here's the current breakfast menu at Granvilles: http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/granvillesbreakfastmenu.html.

Also, I haven't done a character breakfast since I was a kid (I'm 25 now). In your opinion should I do one on my next trip. I have some newbies coming with me that are also my age. Would it be too cheesey?

Whether or not you do a character meal really depends on whether or not you and your friends would find it interesting and fun. Some people don't like the character thing at all, so doing a character meal is going to have no appeal for them. The age of the people involved really has nothing to do with it. Out of all the times I've been to a character meal, I think there were only 3 or so occasions when a small child was present. Usually, it's just been all adults. We love going to character meals because the characters are usually quite playful, and they seem to enjoy being able to "play" with adults as well as children.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-08-2004, 09:50 PM
As far as I'm concerned, breakfast is the last meal of the day at which I'd want to spend a lot of money on something heavy, or "all-you-can-eat," much less with character interaction added. I'm usually only at DL for breakfast once a year, but when I'm there, I normally get something fairly light and inexpensive at the River Belle. (Before it was completely ruined, I did breakfast at Carnation Main Street, and before that, the late lamented Town Square Cafe.)

When visiting WDW, I normally eat breakfast in the hotel food court. Usually just oatmeal and toast. And the only character meal I have is the Liberty Tree character dinner (which I thoroughly enjoy).

As far as I'm concerned, donuts (or cinnamon rolls, or various sweet pastries) are dessert, not breakfast.

And even though I have not visited the site Tod's signature links to (nor will I probably bother to do so), I would certainly agree with the assertion that if Gore had been elected, the atrocities of 2001 wouldn't have happened. The Clinton Administration did more to deal with the terrorist threat than any other administration, and would have done far more, except for stiff, totally partisan, congressional opposition. President Shrub, on the other hand, spent his first eight months in office going out of his way to play chicken with terrorists.

Matt Hamand
08-09-2004, 11:48 AM
When we stayed at the GCH 3 weeks ago we ate breakfast on Sunday at Storyteller's. The off the menu options were pretty good and the buffett was excellent.

There were a few characters, Chip, Dale, Pluto, but htey weren't too in your face. Well Chip kind of was, but I think that was because my wife and I got there at 7:00 am when they first opened. There was no one else for him to interact with.