PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody identify this Twilight Zone (or Outer Limits, or whatever) episode?

hbquikcomjamesl
07-02-2004, 10:25 AM
I've suddenly got this plot, from some "weird" TV series episode, stuck between my ears:

It involves a wager of some sort, with the loser losing a finger. And in the obligatory surprise ending, we find that the woman who was making the wager is missing most or all of the fingers on one hand.

Lani
07-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Could it be this episode (http://www.tvguide.com/tv/showguide/ShowPage.asp?iprogramid=624039)?
Man from the South: A man (Steve McQueen) is drawn into a wager over whether his cigarette lighter will work 10 times in succession. At stake: a luxurious car and a finger.

Lani
07-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Yup, I believe it is (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-238/epid-42875/). :)

JeffG
07-02-2004, 11:01 AM
That episode was also remade as one of the segments in the pilot movie for the mid-80s revival of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". The remake starred John Huston, Steven Bauer and Melanie Griffith and included cameos by Tippi Hendren and Kim Novak.

-Jeff

hbquikcomjamesl
07-02-2004, 12:55 PM
To coin a phrase, "Goood Eeevvenninng"

Thanks. I didn't even think of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and I think that must have been the only episode thereof I ever saw.

--
JHHL

sediment
07-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Also redone on HBO's "Tales From The Crypt." I think.

Mukta
07-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi,
Actually this reminds me of a short story by Stephen King that I read. It is called quitters Inc. a man wants to quit smoking and an organization offers to help him. If he smokes, they kidnap his wife and cut off her fingers, electrocute her etc. At the end of the story, he has quit smoking and he is at a party with another guy who uses Quitters Inc. They comment on how difficult the program was and the man's wife holds up her hand and she is missing several fingers.
This was used in a movie called Cat's Eye which uses a cat to tie together several of King's short stories.