PDA

View Full Version : Most cherished souvenir?

Pages : [1] 2

Jon Vincible
10-13-2001, 03:49 PM
What's your most cherished Disneyland Sourvenir? Doesn't mean the most expensive, just the one you'de fret over most if it got lost or something. Mine would have to be my Indiana Jones hat, not the most expensive thing in the world, i think it was $30? I love it though, i think i'll buy another.

Largent81
10-13-2001, 03:51 PM
My first mickey ears from my first trip to disneyland when I was about 2. It is so little!

zapppop
10-13-2001, 04:56 PM
I have Storybooks of Peter Pan, Cinderella, Snow White, Lady And The Tramp, Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty, each with a 12" vinyl record.

I also have a 7" vinyl record of the Main Street Electrical Parade with pictures on both sides.

mad4mky
10-13-2001, 08:46 PM
Many years ago, (New Years's Eve 1979), my then future father in law bought me a 14kt gold Mickey Mouse stick pin, and a nice Mickey Mouse music box. I cherish both, he was a special man, and I miss him dearly. I only wear the stick pin on special occasions, and get many compliments. I have never seen one like it since.

Jon Vincible
10-13-2001, 09:35 PM
I shouldnt've started this thread when i had such a crappy souvenir! lol. =(

Largent81
10-13-2001, 09:49 PM
What's wrong with your souvenir?

Jon Vincible
10-13-2001, 10:31 PM
Well, everyone else has these heartfelt stories of their souvenirs. How they got them a long time ago, and they mean a whole lot. I just bought mine at the Indy shop after my dad gave me 30 bucks. My souvenir doesn't really compare...

Largent81
10-13-2001, 10:36 PM
That sounds heartfelt to me. I also love my Disneyland hooded sweatshirt jacket. Someday you'll look at that hat and think of a great day you had at the park and all the memories of that day. Every souvenir is Special.

Morrigoon
10-13-2001, 10:42 PM
Nonsense, it's something you place great value in, whether or not there's a story. Maybe that hat's seen you through some hilarious times, or just because it reminds you of how happy and comfortable you feel when you're at the park.

Mine is a little brass key, about the size and appearance of an uncut house key. It has the castle raised up on one side of it. Doesn't seem like much does it? Well, like previous ones, it has a story....

My grandmother was a newspaper editor back in the days when that was quite unusual, ie: the 50's. She got in to DL on Opening Day (Press Day). She took my dad, then 13, and my cousins Vicki and Ron. Vicki is my dad's niece. Each child that went that day recieved one of these keys. The importance was that it was good to get them into Disneyland free for the rest of their life. This was of only minor importance until Eisner did away with the ticket books and went to general admission. Of the three children who went, Vicki was the only one who still had the key. Several years ago, knowing what a Disney nut I am, she gave it to me as a birthday present. Naturally, I was going to Disneyland to celebrate my birthday, so I brought it along and tried to use it. Well, after 40 minutes of asking around, they finally found an old timer who remembered the keys. They said sure I could use it to get in BUT- I'd have to turn over the key for a Golden Lifetime Pass. I said NO THANKS! I kept the key and paid to get in (okay, my mommy paid to get in... I was still a kid when this happened). I still have the key. Thought I'd lost it for a while there, but luckily it was located. I now keep it in a glass-topped box so that it's big enough to not lose. I'm sure its valuable, but I'm not selling. :) It's my "family heirloom", a reminder of my cousin, and the grandmother I never met.

FEJ
10-14-2001, 12:14 AM
A couple of Ticket books, with a few tickets in them, and my old 30th Anniversary ID badge from when I worked there.

jslivinski
10-19-2001, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
... BUT- I'd have to turn over the key for a Golden Lifetime Pass...

You turned down a Golden Lifetime Pass, are you nuts. :D Seriously, that sounds like a wonderful souvenir, I think I would have done the same thing and then kicked myself forever, think of all the money you could save on passes.

Actually, your key reminds me of what would have to be my favorite souvenir, it's not Disney related, but it is a key. It's a plastic elephant key from either Fairyland or the Zoo in Oakland. It's one of those that you used to use (and still do in San Francisco) to hear a description of the animal/story you were looking at. It's old and chewed up, but it's MINE!!!

Disney souvenir, isn't anything I've had long, in fact I bought it on our trip last January. It's a glass Dumbo from the glass shop on Main Street. I bought it because it reminds me of my daughter who was Dumbo last (and this) Halloween.

mad4mky
10-19-2001, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by jslivinski

Actually, your key reminds me of what would have to be my favorite souvenir, it's not Disney related, but it is a key. It's a plastic elephant key from either Fairyland or the Zoo in Oakland. It's one of those that you used to use (and still do in San Francisco) to hear a description of the animal/story you were looking at. It's old and chewed up, but it's MINE!!!

We have two of those keys!! (and 3 from the S.F. Zoo) We used to go over to Fairyland all the time, until it got so run down. And it was expensive to go. We havn't been back since the refurbishment. Have you gone since then? If you have, let me know how it is.

innerSpaceman
10-19-2001, 02:32 PM
Hey Morrigoon - on behalf of my legal profession, I must urge you to (against all odds) SUE the Disney Co. for wanting you to give up a truly valuable collectible in order to get the benefit promised by virtue of that key. They should not insist you make the Solomon choice between the incredible heirloom key and the lifetime pass you are entitled to. I understand your selection, as the key is the real treasure - but a lifetime pass has substantial value. Press your case in the press and in the courts.

Of course, if you don't want all the bother of that, it's completely understandable - but they shouldn't be allowed to get away with such a completely nasty thing. Not since making the kindergarten in Florida remove all their Mickey Mouse paintings have I heard of something so despicable perpetrated by the Disney Co.

Lani
10-19-2001, 03:32 PM
How much is a golden lifetime pass worth, anyway? Is this something you can buy?

hbquikcomjamesl
10-19-2001, 03:47 PM
My October 17th T-Shirt. With my pictures from that night a close second, and my Light Magic Passholder Party pin third.

stan4d_steph
10-19-2001, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Hey Morrigoon - on behalf of my legal profession, I must urge you to (against all odds) SUE the Disney Co. for wanting you to give up a truly valuable collectible in order to get the benefit promised by virtue of that key...

Or you could try and write letters to TPTB. This might be a good first step. I think there's a thread somewhere that lists people to write to complain. Make sure you cc everyone on the list so they all know who gets the letter. This seems to have been more effective for others in the past.

I like my little fiberoptic-looking light-up Tinkerbell. We always used to give my dad a hard time about all those glow-in-the-dark things. He's a chemist, so he would give us a talk on how it was so easy to make them that he could get the chemicals and mix up something for us for about 40 cents. Of course he never did and I finally guilted him into buying me the Tinkerbell after all these years. ;) I also really liked my Davy Crockett hat and musket when I was younger.

lisap
10-19-2001, 04:21 PM
Man, do I feel lame. I always choose candy from the mainstreet shop instead of anything tangible!! Should have saved my candy wrappers...;)
I do have a little New Orleans square pin from when I went to grad night. As people came in the main gates, they would be given prizes--maybe it was the 30th anniversary? I think mine was a booby prize cause the guy in front of me got a beautiful Mickey watch. Oh well. Still have it after mumble mumble years.

stinkerbell
10-19-2001, 04:42 PM
A Happy (the dwarf) button I got when I was 2, 26 years ago. Every once in a while when you met a character, you'd get a button. I remember my sister lost my Dopey button. I still have some tickets in a booklet somewhere...... I also have my first Mickey Mouse T-shirt from when I was 19 months old. But it's that button that I think of.

blusilva
10-19-2001, 05:14 PM
Right now I have two faves: a paperweight with an Uncle Walt quotation about happiness and a lenticular post card of the burning village in Pirates. They keep me in touch with my favorite place on earth while I earn the money to go there.

Morrigoon
10-19-2001, 05:56 PM
After writing a whole (canceled) post about why the value of the key lies in its not being used, I'm suddenly wishing I'd never told anyone about it - don't want any ebay competition if anyone ever puts one up there! Heh heh heh. Jeez, I should put that thing in a safe deposit box!

pixiepal
10-19-2001, 06:01 PM
Mine is a Tinker Bell postcard that my grandma (who is now deceased, but who I was VERY close to) sent to me from Dland when I was just 6 years old. She wrote a cute little message to me on the back, and mailed it from Dland.
That, along with her gold wedding band that was given to me on the day that she passed away, are my two prized possessions!

FEJ
10-19-2001, 07:04 PM
I just found my paperwork from when i was Hired
by Disney to work at, in their words, "Coke Terrace" (Tomorrowland Terrace). The memories i have from each visit are the most cherished souveniers i have)

Nigel2
10-19-2001, 10:05 PM
I never noticed this untill about a week ago, I was cleaning in my desk, and I came upon a small enamel button pin thing and it had crabby donald duck in a space suit and the word tomorrowland on it. I know its arround 20 years old because thats when I rember getting it. Also with that key thing, you probably couldn't sue anyway since the famous words "Subject to change without notice" are in the new disney mantra.

innerSpaceman
10-19-2001, 10:34 PM
sorry to have made a big deal about your cool key, Morrigoon. Didn't want to contribute to making you feel umformforable about revealing it. I can tell it is a true personal treasure, dear to your heart, with pure emotional connections. It just struck me as such a magical thing, that I thought you deserved to have you key and lifetime Disneyland, too.

As a cooler head suggested, maybe a couple of well placed letters might do the trick, and of course, you need do nothing more than enjoy your key. But I can't shake the feeling that the key was meant for you to keep and was truly meant to be the key to Disneyland for you. Perhaps it already is.

FEJ
10-20-2001, 07:49 AM
originally posted by by Nigel2
Also with that key thing, you probably couldn't sue anyway since the famous words "Subject to change without notice" are in the new Disney mantra.

"The subject to change" might not have been used when the key's were handed out.
I can see Disney's point, you show key, get lifetime pass, hand key to friend, they get pass, and so on...
a few well placed letters wouldn't hurt and may provide a way to resolve the problem.. maybe some type of hidden marking on the key so it cannot be used again?