PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland has implemented the new SAP program

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29

amailmanyouknow
01-29-2004, 03:57 PM
<<And yes, this is a snarky post that probably has misspellings in it. >>

LOL If you spelled anything wrong, don't you feel bad about it.

Did you know dyslexia doesn't have anything to do with poor sentence construction and punctuation?

Snark, snark ;)

~N

adriennek
01-29-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by amailmanyouknow
Many autistic kids are into trains. A group of people from the Asperger's listserv on the East Coast went on a trip to a train museum. It was a big hit. For all kinds of reasons.

So, there are still activities at a Disney Park that an autistic child could be interested in, learn from, etc.

I personally think that it's dangerous to pigeon hole any child with generalizations, autistic or not.

And, finally, you challenged mad4mky, saying that you could not see why mad4mky would justify taking her children to Disney World during the off-season. None of mad4mky's children is autistic, so these concerns would not apply to her.

You asked two questions:

"Why do you think Disneyland can really be considered "educational"" And "I am really trying to understand here how an amusement park relates to the 'real world', as you mentioned. Can you please explain that to me? " And I think I answered both of those questions.

Not every IEP has the same goals on it. I'm quite confident that many of the activities I mentioned could fit into many IEP goals.

Adrienne

Forbin
01-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Really? you mean dyslexia doesn't switch

in-c-i-t-e with

in-t-i-c-e switching the c and t?

That's new to me! I guess I DO qualify for a SAC!

SacTown Chronic
01-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Dyslexics of the world untie!

ToursbabeC3po
01-29-2004, 05:19 PM
A neurotypical child will most definitely be into things like these. But autistic children, not necessarily. Some will be. Mine wouldn't. Concepts of whys and Hows are too abstract, and as such, he couldn't care less. And any kind of abstract math, well, forget that.

my son is obsessed with star wars and star tours and If there are any new video games at Inoventions.....OH yeah and When they changed the Carpet and the flooring at star tours he would not ride it for three months he hates change!

ToursbabeC3po
01-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Can't you get him to stop? I'm just curious b/c my son will start to make noises as well and I just tell him to stop and he listens. I've seen other parents in my circle here (with autistic children) do that as well.

Yes, I can tell him to stop sometimes he can sometimes he can't he does it out of nervousness and excitement, but going to Disney is a fun time for us not a time to tell him to be quiet. It is a place where I let him express himself with all the "sound effects" he makes. He has to control all his Autistic behaviors all week at school why should I make him while we are out having fun? He is not trying to be bad it is just a way he expresses himself. It does not bother me at all but it is disturbing to others which I can understand.

Forbin
01-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by SacTown Chronic
Dyslexics of the world untie!
OH OH OH !...<--- (Remember I'm dyslexic)

Loric
01-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by adriennek

OT for the forum but- EPCOT- Social Studies, and I think science

Adrienne

You just broke my heart.

But, good thing, an inspirational quote I read on a billboard two days ago said "Admitting ignorance is showing wisdom."

Yes, Epcot's Future World is cram packed with science. Schools all over the state actually mount field trips there for this reason. Disney has always strived to educate and entertain at the same time. It's one of the core values that Walt beleived in. Epcot is the epitome of this ideology.

In short - Spaceship earth cronicles the history of communication; Energy is about the sources and uses and new ideas; The Land covers hydroponics, mans symbiotic relationship, and earths habitats/ecosystems; Living Seas covers underwater habitats and exploration; Test Track is about technological advancement and industrial progress; and then there are of course the world cultures in World Showcase.

Tangent over.. We now direct you back to your original thread already in progress.

cstephens
02-05-2004, 10:20 AM
FYI, this was posted on another discussion board:

From the Disneyland(R) Resort Cast Portal:

Just added: New Program for Guests with Special Needs
Date: 02/04/2004

Don't know if it's any different from what they've been saying, but it does answer one question that occurred to me last night.

Mod note: Because this is from an internal Disney source, it falls under our copyrighted material policy. If you can provide a link to another source, please do, or if we can find it as a press release, we'll repost it. Thank you- AK

Forbin
02-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Well now its a rubber stamp instead of hand writing on the SAC.

Hmm...so now we get a GAC. I gotta check those out.

Loric
02-05-2004, 04:51 PM
*does a li victory dance with Teri*

We were right! We were right!

Seriously, wether it came fromn WDW or not, the SAC stamped card system works much better.

goofy4041
02-05-2004, 05:05 PM
we shall see i still think Disney did the right things to change. I just dont think this is good. WDW is WDW Disneyland is just that Diseyland, dont think things that work in one will always work in another. They are not the same and never will be. IMO
You can Flame me if you choose but Disneyland was not nade the same as WDW, So dont compare them in the same light.

teri
02-05-2004, 05:51 PM
:cool: I knew he had a heart.

adriennek
02-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Loric
*does a li victory dance with Teri*

We were right! We were right!

Seriously, wether it came fromn WDW or not, the SAC stamped card system works much better.

Uhm, I have yet to see the evidence that says that this system is "working" at all at DLR.

Adrienne

Loric
02-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by adriennek
Uhm, I have yet to see the evidence that says that this system is "working" at all at DLR.

Adrienne

Uhm, it like totally starts working in March! Yah! they'll oficially start using it then! Like, OMG! Can you believe it? It was all like typed out with words and stuff in the official releases..

AK - I have yet to see evidence that you have any more idea what you're talking about than anyone else here.

BJW
02-06-2004, 12:55 AM
What a crock! This is just the same system with a stamp pad instead of a black marker. How do they think this is helping things? Rides have already been rejecting the SAC. Also, CMs are supposed to accept people in their entrances based on needs indicated with the black marker. They want specific issues regarding the problems the guest has (see my thread about talking to the GC CM about SAC) and do not just issue the SAC on endurance issues. People with endurance issues are advised about fastpass and wheelchairs. The system Emmer is offering is not different at all, just uses the stamp instead of a marker. This is a precursor to prohibiting handicapped guests at theme parks (at least on the rides), which will probably happen sometime in the next 10 or 20 years. Already a local carnival-based childrens park in my area has a sign that says something like "anyone with crutches, casts, or any visible physical disability will be prohibited from riding the rides." I've seen this at carnivals as well. The day is coming when it will be at theme parks too.

justagrrl
02-06-2004, 07:32 AM
And it still doesn't address what, if any, accomodations will be made to autistic children. Have to go and find out in person, AFTER paying admission to the park for that one.

scaeagles
02-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by BJW
This is a precursor to prohibiting handicapped guests at theme parks (at least on the rides), which will probably happen sometime in the next 10 or 20 years. Already a local carnival-based childrens park in my area has a sign that says something like "anyone with crutches, casts, or any visible physical disability will be prohibited from riding the rides." I've seen this at carnivals as well. The day is coming when it will be at theme parks too.

I haven't read much of this thread, and have no experience with being disabled (not to offend - differently abled?) or going to a theme park with a person with physical limitations, but isn't this a function of the litigious society we live in? Perhaps an answer to that is some sort of liability waiver, not only for those with physical limitations but for all.

Again, I am not attempting to be ignorant - I have stated clearly my inexperience with such issues.

I cannot imagine, however, with the ADA, that disallowing equal access will ever happen - it's too open to lawsuits and government fines.

As a casual attendee of DL (twice a year), I see (though have never had reason to use) accomodations for special needs most everywhere. Is it possible to meet the needs - perceived or real - of all guests?

Darkbeer
02-06-2004, 08:03 AM
From yesterday's OC Register article...

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=79510

Disney officials pointed out that the ADA requires them to provide equal access, but not "superior access." They still will assist people with special needs, but Disney will "tailor solutions" on a case-by-case basis for anyone not in a wheelchair, officials said. Instead of issuing one pass that fits all - from a broken arm to mental retardation - new cards with up to eight stamps will offer various levels of assistance. The "guest assistance card" will be similar to the one used at Walt Disney World in Florida.

Disney consulted with several disability advocacy groups for guidance on the new system. Disney also consulted the Department of Justice, and attorneys advised the resort to stop accepting documentation of a disability. Instead of addressing the disability, Disney officials want to focus on the person's needs at the parks.

Representatives of the Dayle McIntosh Center in Anaheim, a nonprofit group that advocates for people with disabilities, praised Disney's new system. The center also provides services without asking for proof of disability.

"I'm sure there will be some hiccups until they get it just right," said Rebekah McIlhenny, the center's community-relations director. "But (without limitations) it would be like passing out a handicapped sticker to anyone who says they are disabled. The abuse would be extreme."

teri
02-06-2004, 09:05 AM
justagrrl, if they are modeling it by the WDW GAC, then autistic kids will get the "alternate access" stamp. This is a flexible option, for those of us who know what it is like to take a high maintenance child to the parks. In general, since we are trying to improve our kids frastration tolerance and practice appropriate behavior, we try to use regular lines. When there are other factors involved (a high-stim queue, touchy queues, noise factors, long waits) there are the options of using the FastPass line, which allows you to move through using the usual distraction, desensitization and attention techniques. If the queue is overwhelming, there is the option of the alternate entrance. Once you have a kid trained for the queues, the FP lines are a much better option.

This is probably the time to note that I am writing a book of strategies for using vacation venues to promote pragmatic language and social communication, sensory integration, and emotional regulation in kids with neurodevelopmental issues. That is one of the reasons why this issue is so high on my attention right now. (It won't be about which hotel to stay at, or how to get passes, believe me.)

goofy4041
02-06-2004, 09:17 AM
FYI Knotts berry Farm already has a no ride thing going. I know this because this summer when i was there they would not allow me to get on the rides. So i went and got my money back and told them they are not Disneyland anyway.just FYI:D :fez:

MammaSilva
02-06-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Loric

AK - I have yet to see evidence that you have any more idea what you're talking about than anyone else here.

Excuse me, I might be a bit biased here and will freely admit that I consider AdrienneK a friend, I've had the pleasure of being a guest in her home and I've had the honor of taking her sons to DL along with my daughter, niece and nephews. So having posted that little 'disclaimer'

LoriC, that remark comes across as very rude and was uncalled for, you can't know how or what information AdrienneK has, as a member of MP staff, as a good friend to several different people who use the SAC/SAP HCA facilities she's very aware of what it takes to make the system 'work'. She researches her information and then researches a bit more to make sure she finds every snippet relevant to the topic as possible. If you need evidence that AdrienneK 'knows' what she's talking about I strongly suggest a trip out to the home page and just do a search, she's probably forgotten more about how to deal with special needs guests at DL than most guests ever knew. Notice I am saying DLR, Not WDW....they are two different locations and two different sets of circumstance.

Might I ask, how long ago your last visit to the DLR with a special needs guest was to base your opinion on?

cstephens
02-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by goofy4041
FYI Knotts berry Farm already has a no ride thing going. I know this because this summer when i was there they would not allow me to get on the rides. So i went and got my money back and told them they are not Disneyland anyway.just FYI:D :fez:

What was their reason for not letting you on the rides, and which ride(s) are you talking about specifically?

goofy4041
02-06-2004, 09:55 AM
Because of my legs. I was ran over by a tank and i wear braces on them and they said that it was a medical issue. They did not want to take the responsibity for any thing even when i said i would sign a waiver no go.

I told the guy i have been riding these rides for years but that did not matter. So we left and i will not go back ever. I still like the rides but what can you do?:fez:

JeffG
02-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by goofy4041
FYI Knotts berry Farm already has a no ride thing going.

I didn't know that the policy had extended to Knotts now as well, but when my wife and I visited Cedar Point (which is owned by the same company) a couple years ago, they did have a policy in place where they would ask you to specifically identify your condition when requesting a special assistance pass. The passes had to be issued by an area manager, who would then look the condition up in a database to determine whether or not there should be restrictions placed on what attractions you could visit. With the park's emphasis on thrill rides, the idea was clearly to try and prevent guests with disabilities from going on attractions that would be unsafe for them.

In my wife's case, they didn't have specific restrictions for her disability, so they stamped on the pass "ride at guest's discretion". Their system overall actually worked quite well. The pass allowed entrance via the exits for the smaller rides while using a return-time system for the most popular attractions. Basically, you went to the entrance to the attraction where a greeter would then note a return time on your pass (as well as applying a stamp for authentication). You could not get a return time for any other attraction until the time for the first had passed.

The return time was equal to the current estimated wait time for the attraction. They also gave the option of adding a little additional time (usually 15 minutes or so) to the return time for special seating requests (such as front seat on a coaster). At the return time, the guest and his/her entire party was then admitted via a specific entrance for disabled guests. On most rides it was the exit, although some of the newer ones had a separate gate.

One particularly nice feature was that even rides with wheelchair accessible queues allowed us the option of getting a return time if we wished. During our visit, we did wait in the accessible queue for Millenium Force once, but also rode it a couple additional times using the return time feature. This was a good way of recognizing that disabled guests don't always need a wheelchair as well as providing a means for guests with low stamina to make better use of their time, by riding shorter-wait attractions or dining and shopping while waiting for return times.

Overall, their system worked quite well and is one that other parks should emulate.

-Jeff