PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland No longer Giving SAP

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mkyears
12-14-2003, 11:23 AM
My Parent's went to Disneyland this past friday my dad having some health problems went to get a Special Assistance Pass and was denied. From what he said they were saying he needed to be in a wheelchair to receive one. Geez I guess Matt is quicker than I thought. During the last Al Lutz article he was describing how this would take place did not think it would be that soon. How do you guys feel about this? I personally don't know how to feel my dad really does have a hard time going to the parks but he still want's to go having the special assistance pass made it easier for him.

Omar
12-14-2003, 11:41 AM
I have 2 friends that have medical problems. One was in a major motorcycle accident and the other is a bank teller and was held up, and fell and injured his leg really bad. He was on a cane for a while now he doesn't need it, but it still hurts. They both get the SAP because they need it. The wheelchair thing is just for Disney to make money. There is another person who has heart problems and only goes to the Millionaire show and can't stand in the queue lines for long. She doesn't need a wheelchair, but she need the SAP. To rent a wheelchair it costs $8 and you have to get one just to get a SAP. I think that is Absurd! Well Disney will be Disney and they never do anything the logical way.

(angry)Omar

AVP
12-14-2003, 11:52 AM
mkyears,

Tony has checked with Disneyland, and was told that there have been no changes to the SAP policy, and that guests do not need to use a wheelchair in order to obtain an SAP. I am trying to get more information from Guest Relations.

Can you be more specific about what happened with your parents? Is your father disabled, and what type of accomodation does he need?

AVP

dsnyredhead
12-14-2003, 11:56 AM
I find this a little hard to believe. I have a disability that does not always require a wheelchair. It really depends on how bad of a day it is acting up. If I absolutely need a wheelchair and can't walk at all, I will get one.

In the past, you either had a wheelchair or an SAP. The SAP was for those who didn't require a wheelchair but had difficulty navigating the lines due to a medical disability. I hope this is not the end of the SAP's but I guess I will find out in a few weeks when I return to the parks.

Thanks for checking into this AVP & Tony. Hope it hasn't changed that badly.

Omar
12-14-2003, 12:01 PM
My point exactly. I don't think that Disney should require you to have a wheelchair. AVP if you can get any more infomation make sure to pm me or post it.

Omar

dude
12-14-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by mkyears
My Parent's went to Disneyland this past friday my dad having some health problems went to get a Special Assistance Pass and was denied. From what he said they were saying he needed to be in a wheelchair to receive one. Geez I guess Matt is quicker than I thought. During the last Al Lutz article he was describing how this would take place did not think it would be that soon. How do you guys feel about this? I personally don't know how to feel my dad really does have a hard time going to the parks but he still want's to go having the special assistance pass made it easier for him.

Did your father go request an SAP at Disneyland or DCA? My friend needs an SAP, but not a wheelchair, and at DCA he gets it no problem. Once he tried getting one at Disneyland Park, and they gave him grief about him needing a wheelchair to get one. They eventually gave him one. Basically, at DCA, they'll give anyone an SAP.(that was sarcasm, please dont go get one if you dont really need it) Funny thing is, the SAP is valid in both parks. Next time your dad goes, (if you are APers) go into DCA, get the SAP, and then go to Disneyland Park. It'll work just the same.

danyoung
12-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Omar
To rent a wheelchair it costs $8 and you have to get one just to get a SAP. I think that is Absurd! Well Disney will be Disney and they never do anything the logical way.(angry)Omar

It's my understanding that Disney may be making adjustments to its SAP program thanks to all of the TOTAL IDIOTS who abused the system, getting SAP's for their perfectly healthy parties cuz it got them past the long lines. I'm guessing that the Disney legal team is having a hard time settling on how much proof they can demand before a SAP is granted. A wheelchair isn't even proof, as you need no proof of injury to get a wheelchair. And you certainly can't ask a guest to prove that he's really hurt. How do you do that anyway, in the case of less obvious conditions as back pain, bad feet, etc.

Hey, if I were a scoundrel, I'd pay the 8 bucks for the wheelchair, use it to get my SAP, and then dump the chair! This is the kind of thing that people have been doing. You see them all the time, even keeping the chair and swapping out who gets to ride the chair at this line. It's really disgusting, but a solution isn't all that easy.

Omar
12-14-2003, 12:43 PM
Ok Dan I can't believe you would just sit there and call the people idiots because they have gotten the pass. I have never accepted a SAP and never will, unless I get injured. I hope you will retract your statement about calling people idiots.

Omar

dude
12-14-2003, 12:51 PM
I think he was calling the people who get an SAP without a real injury idiots...

TP2000
12-14-2003, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure that the "legal department" has to do much of anything regarding SAP's. When it comes time to drastically change the SAP program, and I think that change is coming sooner than later, the legal department won't have too much to say about it. Disneyland is under no legal obligation to offer such a courtesy as an "SAP", it's just one of those things they do for people because it would be nice to offer in small numbers.

Yes, "legally" they have to ensure any new construction or major reconstruction of existing facilities meets the building codes for wheelchair accesibility. And the legal department probably has a small input on that, behind the much larger input the building designers and engineers do when it comes to meeting modern building and construction codes.

But when it comes to doling out special passes that allow people with a bum knee to bypass the line on Splash Mountain, there's not much in the Americans with Disabilities Act that regulates what an amusement parks customer service department can or can't do in regards to customer courtesies.

Write your congressman if you feel Disneyland should be legally bound to offer SAP's to the general public. But for now there isn't much on the books regarding that customer service option.

millionairegirl
12-14-2003, 01:00 PM
I think they should require a doctor's note for people with non-obvious disabilities to get a SAP. I could see how that would be a pain to people who didn't know the policy before they came, but it does seem the most fair.

dude
12-14-2003, 01:11 PM
That reminds me of PE at school. "Please allow (name here) to acquire a SAP at the Disneyland Resort because he/she has (insert disease/disability). Regards, Dr. (insert Dr. name here). I really don't think that has to come to be. If you aren't in a wheelchair, but you are moving on crutches or a cane, or if you have a nice knee/leg thingie on, they should just let you have it, and trust in the honesty of the person, unless the numbers of SAP's going out each day begins to head north. Then we may see either an end to SAP, and you only get in the disability line if you have a wheelchair, or the Dr's note may actually come to pass.

sleepyjeff
12-14-2003, 01:14 PM
Ok Dan I can't believe you would just sit there and call the people idiots because they have gotten the pass. I have never accepted a SAP and never will, unless I get injured. I hope you will retract your statement about calling people idiots.

Omar

But they are idiots. Miscreants. Nare do wells. Really bad eggs. Are you actually defending people who abuse that SAP system? Or are you being sarcastic and I just don't get it?

:confused:

dude
12-14-2003, 01:22 PM
I think that Omar thought Dan was calling anyone who got an SAP an idiot, even though Dan was calling those who abuse the system idiots.

sleepyjeff
12-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by dude
I think that Omar thought Dan was calling anyone who got an SAP an idiot, even though Dan was calling those who abuse the system idiots.

Sorry dude. You said it first.

Sorry Omar. Dude already pointed out your mistake; did not mean to pile on:)

Omar
12-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Yes I understood. I though he was calling everyone who got one an idiot. That is true, the people who aren't injured get one when they don't need it, then I agree that those people are idiots. I still don't think you have to be so harsh though. The deal with the building codes for Disney I think they have some sort of featrue for every ride to help out the handicaped.

Omar

Cat H
12-14-2003, 01:50 PM
My mom is allergic to the sun and has breathing problems and therefore can only visit disneyland during the evening hours. I emailed the Disney people and asked if she would be able to get a special pass. They replied that she would have to get a notorized note from her doctor. Seems a bit harsh don't you think?

Omar
12-14-2003, 01:57 PM
Ok then Disney has gone too far. I someone has a alergic reaction to the sun and has breathing problems, that person must get a SAP.

Omar

Cat H
12-14-2003, 02:11 PM
My mom does not mind getting a doctors note for the pass, but having to get it notorized was going a bit too far. At least they did offer the pass without a wheelchair though.

Loric
12-14-2003, 02:12 PM
*sigh*

Ever feel the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing?

WDW figured this out years ago with the color-coded SAP system.

There is a specific "No sun" card even.

Why hasn't anyone told anaheim about it yet?

dude
12-14-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm going to make myself look real dumb, but oh well:

What does notorized mean?

Loric
12-14-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by dude
I'm going to make myself look real dumb, but oh well:

What does notorized mean?

Certified by a notary public. Someone who took a little class on how to be a notary. My mom is one.

Essentially, someone who is vouching for the other person vouching to be themself when they signed it.

In short "Dr. Applebee is only Dr. Applebee if Mrs. Schwartz says he's Dr. Applebee"

danyoung
12-14-2003, 02:48 PM
Yes I understood. I though he was calling everyone who got one an idiot. That is true, the people who aren't injured get one when they don't need it, then I agree that those people are idiots.

Thanks for catching up with that one, Omar - yes, that is indeed what I was saying.

As to the legal point, what I was trying to point out is that there will need to be some way of testing people to see if they warrant a SAP, as the masses have obviously proven their inability to use the system fairly. And the legal eagles will be in the middle of those discussions, trying to determine how far Disney can legally go in requesting proof of injury or need. In today's legalistic society, Disney can't afford to open themselves up to lawsuits from disgruntled folks who were horribly abused and scarred for life by being asked the wrong questions at the wrong time. Sad, but these are the times we live in.

EandCDad
12-14-2003, 03:30 PM
You could stop SAP abuse easily, don't make it a "free trip to the front of the line." Make someone with a SAP wait the same amount of time they would wait if they were in line. It takes the incentive out of getting a SAP if you don't need one.

Hopefully AVP will be able to clear up if there has actually been a change on this issue. Whatever the policy is, it should be clear.

Loric
12-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
You could stop SAP abuse easily, don't make it a "free trip to the front of the line." Make someone with a SAP wait the same amount of time they would wait if they were in line. It takes the incentive out of getting a SAP if you don't need one.

Hopefully AVP will be able to clear up if there has actually been a change on this issue. Whatever the policy is, it should be clear.

Thats exactly what the WDW color coded system does - why doesn't DL adopt it?