PDA

View Full Version : A New Idea for DCA

DisneyFan25863
12-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Ok, so I went to Legoland for my first time yesterday, and was amazed at the Miniland section of the park. It got me thinking about how much better Lego was than DCA. Which gave me an idea. Why not put a area in DCA that has tiny mock up's of different cities, landmarks, and areas of California? They could even (possibly) team up with LEGO and bulid it with LEGO's. I, personally, think that this would be a really interesting addon for DCA, and it could serve as a weenie twords some areas of the park. What do you guys think? :geek:

Lost Boy
12-07-2003, 09:25 PM
While I have never been to Legoland, I have seen the mini cities on TV and other places. I think it would be cool to put something like that in DCA. I have always loved minitatures and think the Lego mini mock-ups are fantastic. They have a store in DD so I don't see why something couldn't be worked up. It would certainly tie in to the California Theme since they seem intent on sticking to that while still doing things that are not really associated with California. Couldn't hurt.

uberfrau
12-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Not to be a killjoy (but I'm very good at it), but the last thing I want in DCA is another thing to *look at*. Its all well and good, and I agree ANYthing new would be better than nothing, but I think that would be something I'd look at once, and that's it, no mas, over and done with. If you made it into a ride, it would feel too much like StoryBookLand Canal Boats.

screamin4ever
12-08-2003, 12:59 PM
A dark ride where you "drive" through California landmarks with appropriate music playing I could see. California Here I Come? Or what about music themed to the different sets. I Left My Heart in San Francisco, I Love L.A., etc. (I would prefer a boat ride but I can't imagine that working on a trip through the entire state.)

DCA definitely doesn't need something else to look at.

On the mini landmark thing, if you really love it you have to see Minimundus in Klagenfurt (Austria if I remember correctly). It is nothing but Mini landmarks and it is excellent.

But Disneyland has Storybook Land and I can't imagine a better miniature display at the resort.

Morrigoon
12-09-2003, 11:29 AM
DL needs a Pirates-quality E-ticket.

Here's a thought:

Canal boat ride (Pirates, IASW), but it's a ride combined with a show (in other words... a Disney attraction, LOL). Take the old idea of the Country Bears, but move the audience through them. So you put the bears in situ singing their stuff while hunting in the woods, fishing in a stream, etc. Make it very Yosemite/Sierras like if possible. Have the longest number at the end of the attraction where boats are likely to back up, shortest vignettes at the beginning. And add a few drops in there (like right after "Ghost Riders in the Sky" or something).

Perhaps if they ripped up the kiddie adventure area and whatever's behind it (SF area, if I recall?), build it the way they did Pirates (eg, underground) and put stuff back up on top. Bear caves as part of a new kiddie adventure area would be cool (especially if there was a way to let them look in on the attraction?

They could add a restaurant, perhaps family picnic themed (since the attraction would be so Yosemite-like), and that would appeal to the mixed-age crowd better than many places at DCA, better covering the kidding demographic so underserved at DCA.

Tigertail777
12-09-2003, 12:08 PM
now there's an awesome idea morrigoon, but situate it somewhere around GRR to tie in with the whole bear thing.

as for the miniatures... hows about this: have a cool california cruise RESTARANT... there is several circles of boats (circles within circles to save space). You dine in these very slow moving boats that are about twice the size of a pirates boat, and have built in tables (like the drive in theater cars at mgm in wdw). There is a space between each big boat "ring" for the waiters to walk to your slowly drifting boats and serve your food. The scenery is miniatures of all the california attractions, and on a timer it changes from day to night every 20 minutes or so. (I know its hard to picture... I could draw it easier than describing it, but think of one of those sushi bars with the conveyer belts, but in reverse, you are the one moving on a circular path in very slow moving boats. ) It would be a great romantic place to dine simular to blue bayou.

o o o
o o
o o o
o o ------------inside boat circle
o k o o
o o o-----outside boat circle
o o
o o o

I tried to draw a diagram so the idea comes across better. The very center of both circles would be the kitchen, with order windows facing each direction for the waiters. For quick kitchen access a tunnel would be dug from the kitchen to outside the circles... sort of a mini "utilidor" for getting supplies to the kitchen, and for employees to come and go. The miniature dioramas of california would be the "walls" between the circles, with several hidden doors facing each direction for the waiters. And to be able to keep track of the where the boats are, each boat would have a sensor with a unique signal that would translate to what boat it was, and there would be a map on each side of the kitchen that showed electronically where the boats are, so the waiters can keep track of where to give each order. T add to teh ambience, have boat "radios" play california themed tunes, and a announce comes on every once in a while saying some breif thing about the scene you are passing, and have the loop be slightly different for each revolution up to 10 or so times, with a different loop that plays for the night time scenes.
And for extra special magic have fiber optics embedded in the painted "sky" of the backdrops that are computer controlled. SO if its someone's birthday in your party you tell the waiter, and someone in the kitchen can program the persons name into the computer. Then when you are dining, and night scene comes on, fireworks suddenly "light the sky" in the pesons name wishing them a happy birthday (the fiber-optics spell it all out like those programmable ad signs), and you could have a special audio birthday "loop" for the radio where the "DJ" on the radio gets everyone to sing happy birthday. You could of course also program this in the same way for other special events: anniversaries etc.

Now that would be a restaurant I would pay top dollar to go to, even if the food was only so-so. :D

(edit: evidentally my neat little diagram gets all jumbled up when I post this... so just picture a circle inside a circle with a big kitchen in the very middle)

Morrigoon
12-09-2003, 02:25 PM
The kiddie adventure area is just across the walkway from GRR.... so I already did that :)

motoxmagicdca
12-09-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by screamin4ever
A dark ride where you "drive" through California landmarks with appropriate music playing I could see. California Here I Come? Or what about music themed to the different sets. I Left My Heart in San Francisco, I Love L.A., etc. (I would prefer a boat ride but I can't imagine that working on a trip through the entire state.)

or california dreamin!