PDA

View Full Version : Rose Bowl-Bound USC and Michigan Football Teams To Make First Official Pre-Bowl.....

Darkbeer
12-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Disneyland Resort Press Release

Rose Bowl-Bound USC and Michigan Football Teams To Make First Official Pre-Bowl Appearance At Disney's California Adventure(TM) Friday, December 26

ANAHEIM, Calif., Dec. 7 -- Now that Southern California and Michigan have won berths in the 2004 Rose Bowl GameŽ in Pasadena, what are they going to do next? They're going to DISNEYLANDŽ!

USC and Michigan, slated to battle in the January 1, 2004 match-up at the Rose Bowl, will make their first official pre-Rose Bowl appearance on Friday, December 26, in Disney's California Adventure park at the Disneyland Resort. The two squads and their coaches will experience a festive "Welcome to California" in a colorful 2:30 p.m. ceremony overlooking the park's seaside-theme Paradise Bay.

The teams' December 26 visit is an official Rose Bowl event held in cooperation with the Tournament of Roses, and the players and coaches will be joined by the Rose QueenŽ Megan Chinen and her Royal Court. USC Head Coach Pete Carroll and Michigan Head Coach Lloyd Carr will be featured participants in the afternoon ceremony, along with several selected players including Southern California Quarterback Matt Leinart and Wide Receiver Mike Williams, and Michigan Quarterback John Navarre and Running Back Chris Perry. As part of the visit to Disney's California Adventure, the teams will also enjoy many of the attractions found throughout the park.

The 90th edition of the Rose Bowl will be played in Pasadena on Thursday, January 1, 2004. The Trojans have a record of 11-1 overall this season and were 7-1 in Pacific-10 Conference play. Southern California last appeared in the Rose Bowl in 1996. The Wolverines are 10-2 overall and went 7-1 in the Big Ten Conference. Michigan last appeared in the Rose Bowl in 1998.

MonorailMan
12-07-2003, 08:10 PM
Let's get picky....

Originally posted by Darkbeer
Now that Southern California and Michigan have won berths in the 2004 Rose Bowl GameŽ in Pasadena, what are they going to do next? They're going to DISNEYLANDŽ!

USC and Michigan, slated to battle in the January 1, 2004 match-up at the Rose Bowl, will make their first official pre-Rose Bowl appearance on Friday, December 26, in Disney's California Adventure park at the Disneyland Resort.

Uhh. No. They are not going to Disneyland. They are going to Disney's California Adventure. The two are not the same. Get it straight Disney. ;)

Now if you said, "There going to the DISNEYLAND Resort! That would be better. :)

As part of the visit to Disney's California Adventure, the teams will also enjoy many of the attractions found throughout the park.

There's an overstatement. :D :fez:

:~D

Morrigoon
12-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Not only do we get shafted out of a trip to New Orleans, and forced to march 6 miles (rose parade) because of a computer, but to add insult to injury, the team is appearing WITHOUT us???

(We'll be at the real park a few days later)

Darkbeer
12-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Poor Morrigoon... you should be enjoying some good Cajun cooking instead of marching 6 miles on New Year's Day, but..... the BCS SUCKS!!!!:fez:

But you should be thanking the team, they are being forced (by contract) to go to DCA... and they are not making you go.... Heck, if you marched down the parade route at DCA during the day, the guests would expect a day parade every day, and we can't have that....:rolleyes:

So think of it as a plus..... while you get to be a bee with a magic light saber during the holidays......:p

Morrigoon
12-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Hey, we're a lot more magic than anything that park has going for it, LOL!

jrad32
12-08-2003, 07:43 AM
BCS = Bungled Crappy System

Anyone for a little something called playoffs, or would that make too much sense?

mamabot
12-08-2003, 08:03 AM
As I have heard the playoff possibility explained is that the universities would make too much money off of the plaoff games and they would have to share some of the money with the players, which would violate the whole pay for play policies that the NCAA has in place.

Now, if the other lesser NCAA College Football Divisions can have a playoof system, why can't Division 1A? Pete Carroll eluded to a playoff system in his interviews on Sunday.

I am still hopeful that the Rose bowl committee and the Pac 10 powers that be let the BCS know how flawed the system is. I think it is no coincidence that the Pac 10 is the only BCS affiliated confrence that has not sent a team to the national title game, even though the Pac 10 has had 2 instances where it could have had a team in that game.

BTT
12-08-2003, 11:27 AM
The kicker to all of this is that USC can still win the national championship on the AP poll, because sports writers are not required to vote the winner of the "national championship" game as #1. Only the coaches poll is required to do so.

Ben T.

Brian Noble
12-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by mamabot
I think it is no coincidence that the Pac 10 is the only BCS affiliated confrence that has not sent a team to the national title game, even though the Pac 10 has had 2 instances where it could have had a team in that game.

When I was an undergrad at Cal, we used to complain about East Coast Media Bias (tm) all the time. Then again, Cal's never been all that good, so it never really mattered in the end. ;)

voldemort21
12-08-2003, 01:23 PM
You ask me its a conspiarcy to keep the pac 10 out of the national title game. Cougar fans are with you USC at least this one is.

Rangnar
12-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Welcome to the official 'Pac 10 teams shafted by the BCS' club. Us ducks are still bitter about the 2001 selections. This latest snub to USC will hopefully make them overhaul it, or scrap it.
I'll never again say this but - go USC (they are just lucky they didn't have to face Oregon this year).

hazlnut
12-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
(We'll be at the real park a few days later)

Just curious, what instument do you play, Morrigoon?

Sing, Sing, Sing was great on Saturday. Especailly the drumline.

eor1222
12-08-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
Poor Morrigoon... you should be enjoying some good Cajun cooking instead of marching 6 miles on New Year's Day, but..... the BCS SUCKS!!!!

I'm not even a big Trojan fan, and I have to agree. I love the history of the Rose Bowl, but USC should be in the Championship.

Somehow, there's an awfully stinging irony about this... they can't even go to the "simulated" New Orleans in the Magic Kingdom, and are sentenced to the second-best choice at the Resort.

Just the man keepin' you down again...