PDA

View Full Version : HoJo Anaheim?

Gr8Scott
10-21-2003, 01:45 PM
Hello everyone. I am heading to Disneyland in late February 2004 with my wife and two sons (8 & 9) and I was wondering if the Howard Johnson Anaheim Plaza was a decent place to stay. I have already booked it but there is still time to change it if the place is a dump. Last February I stayed at the Ramada Main Gate (next to the Best Western Anaheim Inn) and was not at all impressed. The rooms were very dirty. The only good thing was the short walk to DL. I am hoping to stay in a clean hotel next time around and I still want to walk to the park. Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.:)

fairytalelover
10-21-2003, 01:50 PM
I loved it. Nice Rooms, 2 pools, game room etc...but be sure to ask for a room away from the freeway. We had to change rooms, it was so loud. Also you can ask for a room with a big balcony for the same price. They are very nice. Of course you will be here in February when it is cold so it may not be useful to you. We sat out after getting back from DL on a nice warm summer's eve. Hojo is right next to a restaurant and walking distance from DL and other places to eat. But, it is not as close as Candy Cane Inn and The Carousel Inn etc...

Gr8Scott
10-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Cool. They told me I will get a room with a DL park view so I am assuming that it is not on the interstate side of the complex. I am from the Great White North (Canada) so Febuary/March weather in Anaheim is T-Shirt & shorts weather to me. LOL

fairytalelover
10-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Well in that case ask for the rooms with the large balconies. The other balconies are so small that only one person can go out there at a time.:D

They have very pretty fountains and lights in their trees which makes a very nice atmosphere to sit out at night.

From Canada? I used to live in Vancouver a long time ago.:)

MickeyD
10-21-2003, 02:21 PM
I just stayed there on Saturday night, in a room right on the freeway, and didn't hear it at all. I didn't even realize how close the freeway was until I went out on the patio.

I would definitely say it was a decent place to stay. I had a really nice room, although I read somewhere (either here in a thread or on the MousePlanet review page) that not all of the rooms have been upgraded so if you don't like the room you're in, request a new room. I found the front desk to be very accommodating.

AVP
10-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Seven people have reviewed the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrahjph) on our fabulous MousePlanet Restaurant & Hotel Review system. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi)

The average review is 5 Planets, with only one 4-Planet rating in the bunch.

Be sure to add your own review once you return, to help future vacation planners!

AVP

fairytalelover
10-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Yes I would like to add that the front desk was very acomodating to us also.

Andrew
10-21-2003, 03:00 PM
We stayed there once. Parking was horrid, but there was some construction work going on in the lot at the time so it has probably improved. We were also in a freeway-side room, and there were no sound issues for us. Biggest problem was probably the walk to the Resort--it's quite a bit farther than any of the others on Harbor between Ball and Katella.

We typically now stay at the Hilton Garden Inn on Harbor near Chapman. It's not walking distance, so we either drive or take the shuttle. Since it's actually in Garden Grove, not Anaheim, it's not on the ART line and so the shuttle is free (though somewhat sporadic).

mrcoffee
10-21-2003, 03:05 PM
I've stayed there twice, and both times, I really wasn't impressed.

The first time: We let them know that we needed a handicapped capable room. (She's my grandma, with a false leg. She's easily able to get around, but she does needs rails to at least use the restroom.) She also travels in a wheelchair. They said that they didn't have ADA compliant rooms, and we said that's fine.

Of course, they didn't say that the rooms-with-rails is at the very back of the hotel. And to get to the room, you have to go down a curb. (No ramp available.)

We decided to give them a second chance, and this time, just didn't tell them that we needed a special room, and we got one in the front tower on the 4th floor. Not too bad. But the air conditioner was loud. Very loud. (And it felt more like a swamp cooler, not dry, cool air.)

They're okay, but we're not super-impressed. I much prefer the Candy Cane.

sleepyjeff
10-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Howard Johnson rooms are, how you say, not very consistant. They have some really nice recently refurbished rooms...but they also have some older rooms that are less than threadbare. If you get one of there older rooms(and you will know it almost immediately) turn around and take the long trek back to the front desk and DEMAND a recently refurbished room...don't settle for anything less. These rooms exsist.......make them give you one:)

Otherwise, this Hotel is not too bad. It has a good location, nearby resuarants( I love Acupulcos Breakfast Buffet), and very nice landscaping. If you like to swim, try to get a room near the quite pool....much more relaxing than the main pool:)

Hojoanaheim
10-21-2003, 07:54 PM
I just thought I'd clear up some comments concerning our hotel rooms. There are NO rooms in the hotel that haven't been renovated. The Acapulco restaurant no longer exists; It has been replaced with Mimi's Cafe, a wonderful family restaurant that has received the rave reviews by Anaheim visitors. Also, the Main Pool (including the children's wading pool, whirlpool spa and sprayground area) has been completely renovated. Thanks folks for the wonderful reviews - we really do try our best to please every guest.

sleepyjeff
10-21-2003, 08:07 PM
Oh, no. Acapulco is gone:crying: I guess it has been 2 and half years since my last stay there. I've stayed on site my last two visits:) I will miss the Acapulco though......I really liked that breakfast buffet they had.

Gr8Scott
10-21-2003, 08:35 PM
Wow! I didn't expect to get a reply from the hotel assistant manager. Hmmm. Maybe hojoanaheim could make sure I get a sweet room. LOL

Rangnar
10-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Yes, contact them directly and tell them you are a MPer. I did so and felt that they took very good care of my stay.

stinkerbell
10-22-2003, 09:35 AM
My review is on AVP's above link........or I'd do my millionth summary of how great the place is.

We loved the place! Would stay there every single trip, availability-willing.

Enjoy! :)

hefferdude
10-22-2003, 10:21 AM
We go with Hojo! Have a review posted on MP. We go to DL about 4X a year and always stay there. ( Booked 2 nights for a holiday stay early this December!:D ) And yes, it has been nicely renovated. The staff are always pleasant and the grounds nicely done. Really enjoy the fountains and trees at night! We usually ask for building 2 second floor or above on the west side towards Harbor Blvd. The freeway is noticable if you are in the parking lots but once inside the grounds and more so the rooms, you'd might not even know I-5 is there. Millie's right next door has a great
menu very reasonable priced.

Caveat -Our rainy season ( if we have one ) runs thru Feb so bring your wet gear just in case. The ARTs shuttle costs $3/day/person now. ( I think because we always walk.:confused: )

Wishful
10-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Sign up for the HoJo's frequent stayer or miles club before you leave. You may not stay at a HoJo's again, but being a hotel chain travel club member may give you some perks or upgrades.

I had 0 points with my Best Western card and got a free upgrade at a BW (not on an Anaheim trip) and breakfast each day of my stay and that wasn't included with my original room!

I got hooked on earning "Free" discounts after that and now I have 6 or 7 hotel points cards. Even having just the card can get you a discount a lot of the times when you are making reservations from what I can tell. I frequently check hotel prices for my hopeful April 2004 WDW trip and there is a difference between the member and non-member hotel prices.

You don't have anything to lose!

:D

W.

spectromen
10-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Gr8Scott, I've heard and read several times over the past 10 years that this is one of the best remaining HoJos in the country, so I think you're going to like it. I personally love the 70's architecture of the buildings which I hope never changes :)

When one thinks of a HoJo today, it's usually nothing more than a Motel 6 unlike in it's glory days of the past. But this one does stand out and Mimi's Cafe across the street is a great place to eat and was a respectful replacement for the former Acapulco's.

How nice to hear from the Assistant Manager, that is so cool that you read these boards! Thank you!

stinkerbell
10-23-2003, 07:35 AM
Not to knock Mimi's (don't want to start that fight......) but I just wanted to mention that Millie's is also very, very close, on the way to Disneyland if you're walking and kids eat free there. We've enjoyed our breakfasts there, and with three kids.....we always enjoy a good kids eat free deal.

Millie's breakfast portions are also incredibly enormous. We met another family there two weeks ago and they had blueberry pancakes that were huge (and looked wonderful!) and delicious french toast. My husband and I always enjoy the omelettes.

sleepyjeff
10-23-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
Not to knock Mimi's (don't want to start that fight......) but I just wanted to mention that Millie's is also very, very close, on the way to Disneyland if you're walking and kids eat free there. We've enjoyed our breakfasts there, and with three kids.....we always enjoy a good kids eat free deal.

Millie's breakfast portions are also incredibly enormous.

Yes, oh yes. I remember Millie's. Some of the best comfort food on Harbor(and that includes that theme park across the st);)

Gr8Scott
10-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Thanks everyone for all the help. I will definately keep my reservation and I will check into the frequent user card thingy. I mainly wanted to make sure that the HoJo wasn't dirty and neglected. We will likely only be at the hotel for a few hours each day anyway. My kids like to go for a wind down swim at the end of the day so I am glad to hear that the HoJo has a recently renovated pool area.
It is good to know that there are a few decent places to eat close by. We will eat breakfast at either Mimi's, Millie's or Denny's as they are all very close. We plan to buy lunch in one of the parks or in Downtown Disney and as for supper meals.... there was a Tony Roma's down the street last time I was visiting. Any other dining suggestions??? I don't mind driving a few miles for decent food. Mexican, Italian, Western, Chinese......It's all good.

sleepyjeff
10-23-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Gr8Scott
Any other dining suggestions??? I don't mind driving a few miles for decent food. Mexican, Italian, Western, Chinese......It's all good.

Drive up to Fullerton. Across the street from the train depot is a Spagheti Factory. Really good food and prices...........don't forget to get an Italian soda while your there.

:)

spectromen
10-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Or if you go a little bit farther up Harbor past the Spaghetti Factory, you'll find Angelo's and Vinci's on the right. That is an Italian experience like you've never had before.