PDA

View Full Version : New pricing/portions at Brennan's cafe

Morrigoon
10-20-2003, 12:15 AM
So, tonight we decide to sup at the takeout cafe of Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. Po' Boys are the order of the day. Huge portions that they are, we have always viewed Brennan's as an affordable alternative equivalent in price/desirability mix to Whitewater Snacks. Unfortunately, due to some recent changes, Whitewater Snacks no longer has a value equal.

Why, you ask?

Let's start with their new 32oz. soda (which is what they automatically ring up unless you specify the smaller, older soda size). Keep in mind that sodas are refillable there, and 32 ounces is a HUGE cup...... oh, and it costs $3.79 :eek:

Then there's the sandwiches. One of the things which made Brennan's a good value was that the portions were so big, it was easy to split a po'boy with another person. Imagine my shock when, instead of a large plate covered in sandwich and positively dripping with seasoned fries, I recieved a paltry paper "basket" (the variety commonly associated with fish n chips) with a smaller sandwich and a mere handful of cajun fries. Now remember that the price has not gone down and I was splitting this meal. :mad:

The sandwiches are good, and yes, those cups hold a lot of soda, but it's ridiculous to pay nearly $15 for sandwich, fries and a coke.

So Brennan's loses some reasonably regular customers. By shrinking their portions on the sandwiches, they have not convinced us to buy twice as many, they have convinced us to buy food at Whitewater Snacks. And the soda? Four people, perfectly willing to pay $2 each for their own cups instead shared one, split four ways by virtue of water cups acquired at Wetzel's. On tonight's meal, Brennan's lost around $4 from what they would have earned on soda if we'd each bought our own at a cheaper price. On future meals, they've lost the entire tab. For around $15, I can have three courses at Ariel's Grotto. For what I used to (and usually still will) spend, I can eat at Whitewater snacks. Sorry Ralphie, the new price scheme doesn't fly.

lisap
10-20-2003, 06:36 AM
I'm sad to hear that. Brennan's has some of the better take out food in DTD. Did the Beignets' prices get raised as well?

Doodle Duck
10-20-2003, 06:46 AM
Somebody come up with an eMail address and a name.
Not cool for the 'coolest' place in DTD.

HBTiggerFan
10-20-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Doodle Duck
Somebody come up with an eMail address and a name.
Not cool for the 'coolest' place in DTD.

As you wish ;) (http://www.rbjazzkitchen.com/feedback.php)

fairytalelover
10-20-2003, 10:10 AM
We went to the Jazz Express place at DTD and it was not very good at all. It was over priced for lousy food. I had the Jambalaya which was basically a very small amount of overly cooked and sticky rice with maybe one or two pieces of shrimp and sausage in it and that is it. Yuck!

cstephens
10-20-2003, 11:04 AM
My husband and I have only eaten at the take-out Brennan's counter once. We both had the jambalaya, and it was so bad that we each had a couple of spoonfuls before throwing the rest away and getting a Mickey pretzel instead.

fairytalelover
10-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
My husband and I have only eaten at the take-out Brennan's counter once. We both had the jambalaya, and it was so bad that we each had a couple of spoonfuls before throwing the rest away and getting a Mickey pretzel instead.

Well, I just complained about that very thing at the site that HB Tigger Fan supplied us. I told them that the Jambalaya was horrible and the food was over priced for the amount and quality served, in addition. Within minutes I received an email back aplogizing and they are sending us a coupon for a free meal at the Dining Room part.

It was nice of them that they responded so quickly and I didn't expect the coupon. I just wanted to let them know so they can impove it. I have never been to the dining room part and hope the food is not as horrible as the Express. Well, I guess we will give them a try and see what happens.

Demigod121
10-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Just FYI - Disney does not own those concessions at DTD, the concessions rent the spot in DTD to put their restaurant. So if you complain, go straight to the manager or company that owns the restaurant. I'm not sure if Disney would/could do anything if you complain to them, but adding them to your list of contacts to complain to couldn't hurt any.

-Demigod

fairytalelover
10-20-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Demigod121
Just FYI - Disney does not own those concessions at DTD, the concessions rent the spot in DTD to put their restaurant. So if you complain, go straight to the manager or company that owns the restaurant. I'm not sure if Disney would/could do anything if you complain to them, but adding them to your list of contacts to complain to couldn't hurt any.

-Demigod

The site that HB Tigger fan supplied was the restaurant's site.

MonorailMan
10-21-2003, 04:58 AM
Want pictures of this horribly sized meal?

Well, Holly and I were at the time that Morrigoon spoke of, and I took pictures!

Here they are! (http://groups.msn.com/SmallSandwiches/shoebox.msnw?Page=1) :) :D :geek:

Doodle Duck
10-21-2003, 05:38 AM
We have always had excellent service in the dining room. I won't use the Express anymore for the opposite reason. Surly, unsmiling help behind the counter. Do not react to a greeting or a thank you from the customer. I felt like I was interupting or bothering them by ordering.
Do the dining room.

Thanks for the eMail address. We don't want this place to get like Yriba!!!!!!!!!

Aimz
10-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Somebody please tell me that the beignets haven't been tampered with! Those are the only things I buy at the Express counter. :D

Not Afraid
10-21-2003, 08:25 AM
I don't mind the food at the take-out, but I'm not too upset about the changes. I prefer to eat in the restaurant, but budget-wise, the take out is sometimes necessary.

However, the Beignets are a staple when the park closes early and Techie7 is with us. Nothing better than a group of friends sharing a couple of bags of beignets, covered in powdered sugar.:fez: I sure hope those don't change - or I'll join the letter-writing campaign.

fairytalelover
10-21-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Doodle Duck

Thanks for the eMail address. We don't want this place to get like Yriba!!!!!!!!!

What's Yriba?

Demigod121
10-21-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
The site that HB Tigger fan supplied was the restaurant's site.

I know, just emphasizing!

-Demigod

olegc
10-21-2003, 11:34 AM
IMHO one of the main reasons for reducing portion sizes at the takeout (besides the profit) may also be the fact that over the last few months I have noticed that the Dining Room did not have a lot of business - but the takeout window had tons. In fact once there was a line out the door at takeout and only three patrons could be seen on the downlstairs tables in the dining room.

So - if you want to have customers come in to the dining room then don't offer them an alternative location. Sure, some will go to another restaurant but others who really want Cajun and Creole cuisine will stay. That's the idea - and the risk - of running the restaurants in the high priced area of DTD.

Brennan's will get a benefit once the patina group opens the new Mexican place across the way (the old Y Ariba place). With overflowing crowds and no outdoor tables (since all would be taken) due to the "new" factor some will opt for outdoor tables across the way. Not guarenteed but most likley to happen...

Note the new deli - Napolini. Portions right now are pretty good - but $2.00 for a snickers bar? well, I should have known....

Oleg

Morrigoon
10-21-2003, 06:12 PM
Well, we used to have to fight for tables out front of the cafe... this time there was plenty to choose from. Shooting themselves in the foot, IMHO.

ununoctium
10-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Want pictures of this horribly sized meal?

Well, Holly and I were at the time that Morrigoon spoke of, and I took pictures!

Here they are! (http://groups.msn.com/SmallSandwiches/shoebox.msnw?Page=1) :) :D :geek:

The first picture makes me sad! I miss DLR's yellow bags when you buy something... all i want is a yellow bag.

Back to your regularly scheduled conversation!