PDA

View Full Version : Laura Ingalls Rocks: The Little House on the Prairie Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

merlinjones
09-18-2003, 10:17 PM
I loved the early seasons. Nellie and her mom rule.

Don't like any of them after Mary goes blind and everyone gets married and moves and comes and goes and they add alot of sappier characters and too many very special episodes and it all goes to hell. Boring husbands!

NBC needs to restore these shows from the original negatives. The transfers look like bad 80's telecine from tired 16mm syndication prints.

Gemini Cricket
09-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Mary was a menace.

1. She almost burns down the prairie when she dropped her glasses and the sunlight magnified through them...

2. She spent the sunday school fund on snake oil remedies even though the money was meant to buy Reverend Alden a bible.

3. Mary almost burns down the barn when she was studying in the hay, fell asleep and accidentally knocked over the lantern.

4. She came in 2nd place in the mathematics championship in Minneapolis.

5. She and the kids get stuck on a runaway caboose...

It never ends for poor Mary. They should have shipped her off to boarding school early on.

:D

stinkerbell
09-19-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
Mary was a menace.

Spoken like a true gay man.

It never ends for poor Mary. They should have shipped her off to boarding school early on.

Curiously sounding like a straight man........;)

I'm blanking on the character's name (shame on me), but he was in Heathers and in real life he's Albert's brother.......anyway......he had really, really pretty eyes. I think he's on Jag, now, although I've never watched that show.

Ugh.......what's his name???? Help! :eek: Anyway, he had really pretty eyes. I fancied him. A lot. I think his mom died. I can picture the whole family.......dang. I need my TV back. We've been three weeks without TV and I need a retro TV fix, badly. It's like my brain is melting without it.

MammaSilva
09-19-2003, 07:22 AM
The actor your thinking of is Patrick Labyorteaux. On Jag, his character is Bud Roberts, on little house he played Andy Garvey.

Patrick Labyorteaux (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Lot/9236/pl.html)

Gemini Cricket
09-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
Curiously sounding like a straight man........;)

:p

Does anyone else remember how the series was running like normal, and then all of a sudden it was 'Little House: A New Beginning'? The intro where Carrie eats hillside was gone and it was all about Laura and Almanzo. That's when the show truly took a dive. Suddenly, Ma and Pa are supporting characters and Nellie gets married to be replaced by Nancy (who arrived in Walnut Grove in a cage of some sort).

I also seem to remember Almanzo and a male companion going to San Francisco for something, they get their wallets stolen by an old woman in the street and they end up in a Japanese spa taking a bath with a naked Japanese family. (I kid you not. It may sound like a mo fantasy, but I swear I saw it.) :D

One of my favorite episodes has to be the one where Nellie and Laura fight in the mud. Almanzo comes and rescues her and Pa punches him out thinking he took advatage of her.

That one and the one where Laura pushes Nellie in the wheelchair.

stinkerbell
09-19-2003, 10:01 AM
Nancy (who arrived in Walnut Grove in a cage of some sort).
And rightly so!

Andy Garvey! Thanks, MS!

MammaSilva
09-19-2003, 10:07 AM
You're welcome SB!

We actually have his autograph and a pic of Brandy with him at a Special Olympics Summer games from way way way back in the day :) Both brothers were there handing out awards.

I couldn't believe how they managed to make Nancy even WORSE than Nellie was 'at that age' but they did!

One of my favorite episodes.....the one with the midget that ends up saving Nancy in the well.. after Mrs. Olsen had been such a witch to him!

Another...the glass window (classic)

Another.... Laura helps Nellie cook dinner for Alanzo.. Nellie is taking credit but Laura spikes the meal with PEPPER!

A tear jerker.. when they blow UP Walnut Creek in the series finale...

justagrrl
09-19-2003, 10:55 AM
I was enjoying this thread and checked on google for little house sites. I came across this one with a list of things school teachers could and couldn't do in 1915. Thought you might find it amusing.

http://www.littlehouseonprairie.com/web/rules.htm

Gemini Cricket
09-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl
I was enjoying this thread and checked on google for little house sites. I came across this one with a list of things school teachers could and couldn't do in 1915. Thought you might find it amusing.

http://www.littlehouseonprairie.com/web/rules.htm
Geez. No bright colors, 2 petticoats, no ice cream parlor, no men... no wonder they always looked so sullen in all of those old pictures.

Remember Lucy Lee Flippin who played Eliza Jane Wilder? Her look fit the bill exactly.

So the little person from the circus saves Nancy from the well and Nells' sister is the "fat lady" in the travelling circus which came to town... interesting.

Khiori
09-19-2003, 12:59 PM
egads, I've just spent the past two hours reading websites about Laura Ingalls Wilder lol. I'm gonna lose my job if I keep this up - which is really sad cause I'm self employed lol

Gemini Cricket
09-19-2003, 01:12 PM
I just found Allison Arngim's (Nellie Olsen) website (http://www.hgd.com/alison/index.html). It's pretty funny.

Khiori ~ Have you seen actual pictures of what Charles Ingalls looked like? :eek:

Brace yourself. Here's a real picture of Charles and Carline Ingalls: Click here. (http://www.startribune.com/stonline/images/news91/1lhtr28.l.jpg)

mad4mky
09-19-2003, 02:04 PM
My favorite thing about attending my first Down syndrome convention....The guest of honor was Michael Landon!! He was the key speaker at the big dinner on the Saturday night of the convention!

For a Little House, Joe Cartwright...and Highway to Heaven fan...that was HEAVEN!!

He spoke wonderfully...and hugged all the kids in his sight.:D I got his autograph...and lots of pictures.

I am just thrilled to read how many other folks love my most favorite show of all time!

Since TBS stopped airing the show each and every weekday morning...I have tuned into The Hallmark channel...which runs the episodes each weekday evening.

Laura and Mary...and of course Pa and Ma...live on in the Mad4mky household*!! :D

**much to the chagrin of several family members! ;)

Gemini Cricket
09-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
Laura and Mary...and of course Pa and Ma...live on in the Mad4mky household*!! :D

**much to the chagrin of several family members! ;)
Cool.

Hey did you ever think about the beginning of the show? I mean Carrie takes a huge dump down the hill and Ma and Pa are just laughing away. How mean is that? :D

justagrrl
09-19-2003, 02:25 PM
This is what Nellie has to say about Pa - in "real life"

"He wasn't this really saintly person. He had a very volatile personality. He smoked and drank heavily, liked to party and tell obscene stories. He was hardly the part he played on TV"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.hgd.com/alison/landon.html

Gemini Cricket
09-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
"He wasn't this really saintly person. He had a very volatile personality. He smoked and drank heavily, liked to party and tell obscene stories. He was hardly the part he played on TV"

Apparently, this was the dirt on Landon throughout his career. No one really talked about it much in the media. They didn't want to scar his reputation and the reputation of the books he was depicting. I guess...

Khiori
09-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Khiori ~ Have you seen actual pictures of what Charles Ingalls looked like? :eek:

Brace yourself. Here's a real picture of Charles and Carline Ingalls:

Yeah I have :) I have several books with their real photos. In one book there is a photo of Ma and Pa when they were newly married - they were a nice looking couple! But I guess prairie was hard on a person :erm:

stinkerbell
09-24-2003, 10:29 AM
I watched "Eight Rules" last night, hoping for some John Ritter closure.....and the Katey Sagal character thought she was pregnant. I said to stinky pete, "Betcha she's not pregnant, just going through menopause."

He shocked and amazed me with, "Wasn't that a Little House episode?"

Whattaman! :)