PDA

View Full Version : Trains reversed at DLR tonight?

Illy
03-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Hi guys,

I just got a text from one of my friends at Disneyland right now saying that something happened on the railroad around the park tonight. Her train made an unscheduled stop slightly after Small World, and the conductor announced they had to back the train back up into Toontown Station and shut the whole railroad down for the night.

When she asked what happened, she noted that some of the Cast Members looked kind of paniced, and would only answer that "This is the second time in 7 years they've had to reverse a train.

Does anyone know what's going on? Did something big happen?

iceman559
03-02-2012, 05:50 AM
Hi guys,

I just got a text from one of my friends at Disneyland right now saying that something happened on the railroad around the park tonight. Her train made an unscheduled stop slightly after Small World, and the conductor announced they had to back the train back up into Toontown Station and shut the whole railroad down for the night.

When she asked what happened, she noted that some of the Cast Members looked kind of paniced, and would only answer that "This is the second time in 7 years they've had to reverse a train.

Does anyone know what's going on? Did something big happen?

Well right past IASW going clockwise (normal operation) is where the switch to bring the trains out from the roundhouse is. If you look at satellite images of the area, you can barely make out the train tracks in the concrete, but they're there. It's easier to just see the monorail beam heading back (they are stored/repaired above the railroad engines). A few years back, I was on a train that departed TT stations and stopped right on that railroad crossing. We were stopped there for about 30 minutes until two guys on a golfcart came over from the backstage area (the roundhouse presumably) carrying a car battery. They swapped it out and we eventually got back under way.

Since I haven't seen anything anywhere else, I'm assuming it's nothing BIG. How late at night was it? It's possible maybe another train broke down ahead of them and since it was so late, they just decided to shut the railroad down the rest of the night instead of rushing to fix it to get it operating again. Also, if it was really late, perhaps a train was taken off and somebody forgot to throw the switch back to the mainline. Many pretty simple possibilities. I'm sure the CMs just get panicky when anything out of the norm happens.

Also, I hope the CMs only mean it's the second time in seven years they've had to back up a train with guests on it...because they back them up every night into the roundhouse...

ralfrick
03-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Perhaps related to work at the TL station?