PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside vs All-Star Movies vs Coronado Springs?

dsnylndmom
06-10-2003, 08:08 PM
We have our FTP booked for the ASmo, but my husband is seriously debating moving up to a moderate(WL is a stretch but there's still a very small possiblity) So my question is if he does decided he wants to upgrade which would be the better choice, POR or CS? Or just basically which is the best choice of the three, POR, CS or ASmo?

This is our first family trip to WDW and my boys are 4.5 and almost 9.

TIA for any help
Tina:confused:

diznut
06-11-2003, 05:34 AM
Let me start by saying I have never stayed at POR so I can not give any input there. We have stayed at both ASMo and CSR and loved them both. It really depends on whether or not you are planning on spending a lot of time at the resort or if you are going to be in the parks all of the time. My boys really loved ASMo and they were close to the ages of yours when we went, so I'm sure that they will love it if you end up staying there. If you want more of a resort feel, then I would choose CSR. The pool and play area are great for the kids, and the grounds are beautiful and relaxing. Don't let people scare you away with the "it's too spread out" suff. It was not near as bad as people had led me to believe, and there are 4 bus stops so you won't have to walk far no matter where you stay. I really don't think you can go wrong with either of these choices. Have a magical time.:)

Main Street Magic
06-11-2003, 07:53 AM
I'll take the other side and say that I've only stayed at Dixie...(oops Port Orleans Riverside).... twice now and loved every minute. We''d go back in a heart beat.

Will the kids love it? Sure. The Ol' Man Swimming pool was real great and there are plenty of things for them to do (like a video arcade, etc.)

The adults will love the ambiance of the resort and the food court has something for everyone. We'd be there on our next trip except we decided to go hog out and check out the Animal Kingdom Lodge this trip (since it is just us adults). The next trip (hopefully with the kids and a grandson) will be back on the River.

mad4mky
06-11-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Main Street Magic
I'll take the other side and say that I've only stayed at Dixie...(oops Port Orleans Riverside).... twice now and loved every minute. We''d go back in a heart beat.

Will the kids love it? Sure. The Ol' Man Swimming pool was real great and there are plenty of things for them to do (like a video arcade, etc.)

The adults will love the ambiance of the resort and the food court has something for everyone. We'd be there on our next trip except we decided to go hog out and check out the Animal Kingdom Lodge this trip (since it is just us adults). The next trip (hopefully with the kids and a grandson) will be back on the River.

What she/he said.
We loved it both times there. We went the first time without kids...the second time with kids.
Our girls loved the waterways through the resort...and the bunnies hopping around. They loved fishing at the Fishin' hole...and enjoyed using the Ol' Man swimming pool, as well as the pool near our room.
One day, my middle girl could not go swimming...so she and I enjoyed the Arcade...and we had a blast.

If (and when) we go again...we would consider using the same resort as well...

MOsa2
06-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Ive personally stayed at both the ASM and POR. POR is an extremely nice resort that Disney has done a superb job recreating the look and feel of the south. Its extremely relaxing to come back to the resort after a long day at the parks and admire Disneys creation, with its lovely waterways and southern charm. It is also a lot quieter than the AS resorts, partly due to how spaced out everything is.

I also think the pool at POR is more fun for the children than the ones at the ASM. One reason for that one, the waterslide! The arcade is a lot of fun too. Not saying that the ASM is not an extremely kid friendly resort, because it definitely is, but POR is nicer overall I think. Nice for both the kids and you!

Have a fun trip!

Kristin
06-11-2003, 09:58 AM
I sure don't know if this will help or just make you more confused but we have also stayed at the All-Star Movies and were very pleased. I knew what to expect with the room-size and all. We are a family of four (6 and 4 year old children) and did fine. The DISNEY atmosphere was wonderful and the kids loved the pool. Now saying all that, we also booked a FTP and decided that this was our chance to stay at a Deluxe resort. We chose the WL because our children are still Magic Kingdom kids and would stay there all 8 days if we would let them. I guess what I am saying, is that the ASMo was wonderful but with this package if you can upgrade, I say go for it- if it is just to see what the other resorts are like!!!

keggyandbobert
06-11-2003, 12:45 PM
I have stayed at Coronado Springs, and Port Orleans Riverside. I won't stay at All Star. (Sorry - I don't want to offend anyone with that. There are too many places off Disney Property that are a lot nicer that I would rather stay at and being a Florida resident we will always have a car.)
Anyhoo - back to the question at hand. If you can afford to go to a moderate I would. I have visited an All Star room during Guest Relations training when I worked at WDW. Also I have eaten in the food court on a couple different occassions. I think that the rooms would be a little small for a family of four. You could definitely do it and hundreds of families do, but if you can afford to upgrade, do it!
Now - on to Coronado and Dixie (sorry!) Riverside. I have stayed at Riverside twice this year and am going on Friday for my third, twice previously. I have stayed at Coronado once this year and once previously. They are hard to compare. If given the choice I think I would choose Riverside for the fact that it is in closer proximity to most of the parks (excluding Blizzard Beach and Disney's Animal Kingdom). The rooms are similar in both resorts - theming being the only difference.
Coronado is a little more spread out than Riverside - but the Coronado food court - is better than any other on property (IMO). Both resorts have great pools and smaller pools if you need some peace.
We have had better customer service at Coronado. Both times we have stayed there the staff at check in has been superb asking what our plans were so they could put us in a room closer to the pool or closer to the main buliding if need be. At Riverside evrytime we have stayed there this year we have gotten a Cast Member who could have cared less.
Anyway, the close proximity of Riverside to DTD, EPCOT, and MK make it a plus for us. The boat ride to DTD is wonderful!

I hope my ramblings help!