PDA

View Full Version : Pottermore!

Pages : [1] 2

Tinkermommy
07-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Anybody else have kids who stayed up all night to try to be one of the first million into Pottermore?

The Tinkerteen's bff stayed overnight with us, and they started trying to get in at midnight. (It was the first of seven days during which you could attempt to be part of the beta testing.)

They were disappointed when nothing happened at midnight, but they were so determined to get in that they decided to stay up all night. One of them was on my computer monitoring the site while the other had the Tinkerteen's laptop open to surf. When it popped up later, I think they woke the whole neighborhood up!

In a nutshell, you have to solve a clue which has to be entered at a web address you don't know completely until you solve it. (It's explained well on the site.) If you or your kids are going to try it, I suggest you have the books handy. The first clue came from Book One; I suspect the second will come from Book Two. Last night, the clue was to figure out how many breeds of owl were on the sign at the owl shop, then multiply that number by five, and enter the answer at the end of the provided web address.

From there, you're taken to a page with a bunch of floating feathers. You have to click on the magical feather (which soon becomes obvious). If you're successful, you'll get the registration page. There is a limited number that will be allowed each day.

While they got a congratulations message, the registration page didn't pop up. They were SO bummed thinking that many people had gotten in before them. I went in and tried it on my husband's computer (thank goodness I married a techno-geek so we have a houseful of computers :p), and had the same result. I tried it again, however, and got the registration page. They both tried again, and also got the registration page.

We received confirmation e-mails to activate our accounts, but it said we may have to wait a few weeks to get access as they can't let everyone in the beta site at once.

So, if you're going to try, gather the books, and if you don't get the registration page, go back and enter the clue again until you do. Good luck!

kaykayf
08-01-2011, 03:05 PM
wow this sound intense. what time did it finally go up?

mousecanuck
08-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Very cool! I know my daughter has been on checking things out yesterday and today. Don't think she was too concerned about being in the first million but do know that she and a few of her friends will be in there regularly. AND DS just found a Potter friend! He's not quite 13, most of his friends are either not into it (don't read enough, don't care for HP movies, or not allowed to watch [churchy families]) so this kid, who's family is also Christian but who doesn't let it ruin the fun and also celebrates Hallowe'en, is someone he met through Youth and is a fan, so now we're all stoked for HP and Pottermore. Gotta start planning a party for the final movie to DVD release date (sometime in November, couldn't find a date yet). THEN it'll be over...I think... :)

yellowrosedtxn
08-02-2011, 05:48 AM
THEN it'll be over...I think... :)

LOL it will NEVER be over!!! As Dumbledore says:

"You will find that I will only truly left this school, when none here are loyal to me."

I just think it is going to be a VERY long time before Harry Potter dies down. Or it could be like the Disney franchise and only grow. I can see another park being put in Califorina, London and other places around the world.

AJDerrick
08-03-2011, 07:45 AM
I got in this morning! It opened at a civilized time and it didn't even take too long. Super excited!!!

yellowrosedtxn
08-03-2011, 07:52 AM
I got my e-mail on Monday. I was excited about it. Let the Journey begin!

cheshirecatgirl
08-04-2011, 01:54 PM
I keep checking, but I never get there at the right time. Either it hasn't opened yet or it's closed for the day. Unfortunately, I can't just be on the computer all day waiting for it! But if I don't get in early, that's cool. Something to look forward to for Oct. I'm a bit late to the game when it comes to HP, but I have officially become obsessed! I plan to try making some HP character dolls soon. Either cloth or felt, I haven't decided yet.

yellowrosedtxn
08-05-2011, 05:38 AM
Hopefully you can get in by tomorrow. At least it is a Saturday, but I don't know "when" they will actually open the site up.

AJDerrick
08-05-2011, 10:41 AM
From the Pottermore blog:

UPDATED: So far, all the clues have appeared in the early hours of the morning in my time zone. Will this continue for the remainder of The Magical Quill challenge?
We know that Harry Potter fans around the world are taking part in the challenge, so we will be varying the times that the clues are revealed. We can tell you that the final clue (Day 7) will be released between 12:30am and 3:00am BST on Saturday 6 August.

It appears that the window is typically open for an hour, so hopefully this will narrow down your checking times!

yellowrosedtxn
08-05-2011, 10:50 AM
I know most everyone can figure out their timezones, but to be helpful.

EST is 5 hours behind England
CST is 6 hours behind.
Mountain is 7 hours behind
Pacific is 8 hours behind
Alaska is 9 hours behind
Hawaii is 11 hours behind.

cheshirecatgirl
08-05-2011, 07:06 PM
I just got in! 7PM pacific time. I suddenly remembered to check and the clue was still open and I had to try twice to get the page with the quill, the first time it said there was an invisibility cloak over it, but I tried again and got the quill and registered! Confirmed email came right away and I have a username! So excited! I didn't think I'd get in!

AJDerrick
08-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Excellent! Let the next wait begin, lol.

cheshirecatgirl
08-15-2011, 03:38 PM
I've been hanging out at a Harry Potter forum a lot lately! Quite a few people got their welcome emails today and have gotten into Pottermore. I've read all the spoilers and it sounds really cool. I love the descriptions of the houses and the pictures of the common rooms, and some of the characters' backstories. I can't wait to get in myself!

Tinkermommy
08-15-2011, 06:35 PM
A cousin of my daughter's bff got hers today and has been playing. She's been giving everybody else a play-by-play that is making them all crazy with longing. :p

Apparently it has nothing to do with when you were able to register. My daughter and her bff got in the first night; the cousin who is playing got in toward the end. (Not a complaint; just an observation.) I hope my daughter's comes soon, as she has just under two weeks of summer vacation left to "veg" in Pottermore. Here's hoping!

AJDerrick
08-16-2011, 11:30 AM
I got in on day 4, I haven't seen anything yet though. It would really be better for me if they waited one more week, since I finish my Masters then and could give it my attention without feeling guilty! :p

yellowrosedtxn
08-17-2011, 06:59 AM
My daughter got in, as well as some of the people we were with in NY at the red carpet event. DD is a slytherin and at first she was not happy, but after reading the "requirements" to being a slytherin, she said it does suit her. She told me that when I do get my letter of where I am sorted, I should copy it all down and save it, then take screen shots of the wand and things like that.

She was having fun with being in and so are the others. I am jealous because I want to go in and play as well!

Congratulations AJ for finishing your Masters! That is awesome!

Tinkermommy
08-25-2011, 02:00 PM
The Tinkerteen and I finally got in today! I'd say "Yay!" but I'm a little frustrated with it. It's a beta test, so problems are expected, but I can't find anyplace that lets you give more than generic "agree-disagree" feedback rather than addressing specific areas of trouble.

I've been stuck in the Dursley's kitchen for hours. I've refreshed, re-entered, signed out and in, and still can't move. I can't zoom, nor can I click on any of the objects I'm supposed to pick up in the kitchen. The first time I click on any object, the "read about" section at the left disappears and doesn't come back. I can't even skip the room. I did a google search to see if anyone else had the same problem, but haven't found anything. I clicked the beta feedback button, but it only wants to know if the page loads well, if I like the graphics, if I'm happy, and how old I am. :rolleyes:

Did anybody who is currently playing have this problem? Or have you seen a good forum for this?

roosterroo
08-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Didnt have a problem in kitchen myself may be your internet was running slow so couldnt cope. I didnt think to look on here to see if anyone had got in, i personally dont know anyone else on site, so have no friends to duel with. perhaps we could add each other as friends on pottermore as we already know we are sane human beings from mouseplanet. I dont ike the idea of adding complete strangers on a site. I got my quill on first day and got into site thursday if that helps people still waiting

yellowrosedtxn
08-29-2011, 06:37 AM
I got in, got sorted and I am at the potions area. I made one potion successfully, after bombing another one. I didn't realize that making potions would take 80 minutes to do.

I don't know about the Dursley kitchen, but when I went into the great hall, I couldn't click on McGonagall to get sorted. I am in Hufflepuff.

My name in pottermore is WizardStorm80, if you want to friend me. I am still trying to figure everything out. I just need to take more time to figure things out and write down what I would like to see changed.

roosterroo
08-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Oooh im in hufflepuff too! Look out for a friend request from catgalleon47. I havent brewed a successful potion yet!

yellowrosedtxn
08-29-2011, 01:07 PM
I wrote down your name for Pottermore so I will remember who you are! LOL I am terrible with names in real life, let alone in Pottermore.

I will help you with Potions if I can. Can't wait to get back on and mess around with it.

roosterroo
08-29-2011, 01:46 PM
I think i just have to pay more attention when making potions, i get a bit excited and stir it the wrong way

cheshirecatgirl
09-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Are you guys still playing? I have still not gotten my welcome email. I really wanted to get it today, but nothing so far! I'll probably be one of the last beta testers let in!

Is anyone here going to Harry Potter Day at Disneyland? It's on Nov 6th.

Tinkermommy, did you figure out your issues?

I really want to be sorted!

AJDerrick
09-23-2011, 02:00 PM
My daughter got in, as well as some of the people we were with in NY at the red carpet event. DD is a slytherin and at first she was not happy, but after reading the "requirements" to being a slytherin, she said it does suit her. She told me that when I do get my letter of where I am sorted, I should copy it all down and save it, then take screen shots of the wand and things like that.

She was having fun with being in and so are the others. I am jealous because I want to go in and play as well!

Congratulations AJ for finishing your Masters! That is awesome!

Thank you, that's so sweet of you!

I'm in Slytherin also, so I'm glad to know I've got some good company in your DD. I'm QuestMidnight147 (I think...I still can't remember the darn thing!). I got through the first book, I think my biggest wish was that there was music. It seems kinda empty. The potions thing kinda made me nuts, but I'm pretty good at spells. I haven't gone back since I finished, since the main draw for me is the new JK content.

Anyone discovered anything fun?

Tinkermommy
09-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Are you guys still playing? ...Is anyone here going to Harry Potter Day at Disneyland? It's on Nov 6th. ...Tinkermommy, did you figure out your issues?

Some of the issues worked themselves out; others, I just went around. I confess I got bored very quickly, and quit going after I reached potions class. I was very disappointed in the game, especially since there were SO many things they could have done with it! One of my good friends, however, FINALLY got her welcome e-mail today and got sorted into Hufflepuff, where I am. She's very into Harry Potter, so I'm going to make myself go back in while she's exploring.

Yup, we're planning to go to HP Day. We went to HP Lite day a few months ago and had a great time at the little meet-up. Nice people. It should be fun! (I just wish the kids would be allowed to dress up like they do on Bat's Day!)