PDA

View Full Version : Project Runway -- no untagged spoilers until Saturdays

Pages : [1] 2

Drince88
07-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Just thought I'd let people know that Project Runway is starting tonight. There's actually two episodes - one a 'pre-season' show, and then the season opener.

I figure we shouldn't put untagged spoilers in the thread until Saturday - giving people 1 day to watch a recorded show - after that, they need to just avoid the thread. Sound reasonable? Tagged spoilers are ok before, but we should still be kind to those in the Pacific time zone and not tempt them too much.

Sound reasonable?

I haven't paid attention to any of the ads, other than to know it's starting, so I have no thoughts about what we might see this season - but I'm sure there will be some train wrecks and some gorgeous outfits (and a lot in between!)

KJSJpipe
07-28-2011, 06:13 PM
I just finished watching the preseason show and the 1st episode is just starting.
Some of the people who were a 'No' are too funny. A favorite part:

Q:Why is your collection not on hangers on a rack?
A: I don't think my clothes should be on hangers. :| :confused:

New Orleans lady
07-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I missed it already,but I will catch it later.

Drince88
07-29-2011, 05:15 AM
During the selection show
It REALLY looked like Tim was relating very very strongly to Bert's story of why he got out of the fashion industry. I hope they're able to show some 'connection' between Bert and Tim - if nothing else Tim being able to reference back to common life experiences when most of the designers were still in diapers. I just think that will be nice.

I was pleased with the winning design, and totally agreed on the bottom 3.

Oh, and Heidi's reaction to a certain designers accessory during the selection show! That was funny!

Tinkermommy
07-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Happy Saturday!

This should be a fun season! I think some of these contestants are going to be very interesting.

A group of Internet friends started a pool, and we all had a designer randomly picked for us after the initial elimination. So now I'm rooting for Laura Kathleen ("Barbie").

I also agreed with the bottom three. I'm having trouble believing Anya's claims of having no experience and then whipping out pleated pants and a detailed shirt. I'm just not sure what to think of that. I was touched by Bert's story (and Tim's reaction to it). I hope he does well and gets over his nervousness. I'm glad the person who went home went home. I found that whole thing he said about how Nina was looking at him sort of disturbing. Maybe he was joking, but I kept thinking, "Dude! You know there's a camera there, right?" :p

The previews for next week looked pretty intense. It seems awfully early in the season for so much conflict!

mom22gls
07-30-2011, 06:01 AM
I agree about that contestant's comment that Nina was "looking at him." I did not get that impression at all. What was interesting in the pre-show was how many times Seth Aaron applied before he was accepted-I really like him, as a person and as a designer.

mom22gls
07-30-2011, 04:22 PM
I understood why Tim would not let anyone add any clothing to what they were wearing, although at that point they had no idea what the challenge was going to be so it probably would not have helped them. One woman wanted to put on a bra, before going out into the street-I would too. Theoretically, she could have used it to add structure to a top or dress, but she would have had to try to cut it down to a model's figure-she is a pretty curvy girl. They provided a lot of notions, and she probably could have found sufficient materials to use, so she would not have had to sacrifice a bra.

Drince88
07-31-2011, 06:53 AM
I think I would have grabbed the bra anyway. Or pleaded with the producers/camera operators/whoever to have someone get it for me when I realized we were going to be working all day. She was old enough and curvy enough that there WERE exceptions that needed to be made. I mean, it's not like she was model age/size - she was the one that kept making comments about feeling 'old' when she looked at the rest of the group. Unless they did put it with her scrubs - and if they didn't, they need to have more women over 30 on the production staff!

Tinkermommy
08-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Happy Saturday! My thoughts, in a nutshell: how in the heck did they choose Oliver over Anthony Ryan? The two dresses were very similar, but half of Oliver's dress was made with "fabric." The rest of it was covered with a material at least two other people used. I thought it was thick enough to be unflattering on his model. The judges' only complaint about AR's dress was that it was too short. It's not like there were cheekage (I made that up...LOL) issues. Puh-leeze.

I thought the judges were unfairly harsh with Fallene. I suspect she can be more playful in her designing than she was, but what's wrong with a fall color palette? I thought her dress was cute, and the skirt showed a lot of work. I'm baffled as to why they sent a Joshua home after making such a stink about the pee-pee pad dress. (I did like the color and top of the pee-pad dress, however.) And what's up with Bert? I like him, and would love to see him make a comeback. But to phone it in because he had immunity? I think the judges will be much harder on him next time because of it. I hope he steps it up, because if he doesn't, I don't think he'll be around long.

I think the designers each season are getting better and better. I remember seeing in early seasons some garments made of unconventional materials and thinking they were just awful. I thought all of the designers actually did pretty well this week, and were quite creative.

Drince88
08-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Totally in agreement with you Tinkermommy.
I was the third top 3 outfit the one with the aquarium rocks? I thought the design on that one was really nice.

If the dog-bed fleece top had had a little bit more of a scoop or v neck, it might not have seemed so 'thick' But they were enamoured with the ombre effect of the bedding skirt (which wasn't very ombre, not enough overlap in the colors for me to consider it other than a wide-blend line) - yet the bird seed had the same effect, done with a much less forgiving material. I mean he had to line up those sunflower seeds to get that to work.

I wish the dog cone of shame skirt hadn't been totally trashed. Add something under it to avoid the cheekage, but the start of that was really cool. At least she realized the skirt was too short.

Drince88
08-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Interesting episode. I sort of liked the matador pants, but they had to have been paired with something less costumey if it was going to work.

Bert really was quite a jerk this week - and I can see him being frustrated with someone having no clue about the difference between Elizabethan and Victorian, but he didn't handle it well. There fabric choices - though - oy vey.

Bert and Victor aside - I was glad that they made the decision they did about who was given the boot. Not sure how much the producers told the judges, but at least they figured out that Fallene didn't actually sew anything. It's been eons since I've sewed anything, and was Mom taught, but I learned fairly early on that those big lines on the patterns weren't there for decoration.

mom22gls
08-14-2011, 06:27 AM
This episode showed something more than designing and sewing talent. They do these crazy team challenges, which don't seem very relevant to the competition, but they are, because they show the ability to act in a professional manner, and to manage people resources, as well as materials. This is an important trait, if a person is going to be running their own line, they need to manage their staffs effectively, even when dealing with artistic divas. Instead of standing there helplessly, the nice young woman could have suggested that she do things within her capacity, like sewing the miles of straight seams to make a skirt or pants for a person on stilts. Her partner, instead of cutting her down, and, essentially, gossiping about her to other competitors, about the grain thing, could have suggested that she do something within her capacity, like sewing the miles of straight seams. The producers and judges know the score-there are cameras everywhere, and the universe will pretty much align itself as it should, at least until the finals. I don't think Bert is going to make it too much longer-he's talented, but he is dealing with a lot of emotional stuff, and, perhaps because he is significantly older than most of the others, does tend to take a paternalistic attitude, which would be annoying if you were on the other end of it. The surprise to me was Laura, not because of the product her team produced, which was great, but because of how well she "played with others." She had made a comment about knowing fashion from a young age, because her family had the resources so she could shop at high-end stores, and she was very familiar with lots of designers. At that point, she came off as the snooty rich girl., but when it came down to doing the work, she was pleasant, professional, and smart.

KJSJpipe
08-19-2011, 05:47 AM
I thought it was interesting that one of the designers called out the one of the bottom two that did not go home. The one who stayed said something to the effect that she would have been fine with going as the other person wanted to be there more and needed to win more. The designer asked if they mentioned that to the judges, the answer was no, why would I?. Umm because you don't care if you are here and the other one did?
Also do you think that Victor was right in not saying any thing about the help that the one designer ( I forget her name) got with her finishing? He made it sound like the other person did half the work but from what we see it was not that much. It seemed not to be a big deal to me but maybe they did not show all that happened with it.

Tinkermommy
08-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Also do you think that Victor was right in not saying any thing about the help that the one designer ( I forget her name) got with her finishing?

Her name is Anya, and that's a very interesting question. Laura stepping in to help her finish was taped, as was the assistance she received with the dye, so I doubt the judges were totally unaware. I've seen past episodes where the judges questioned the designer when they had assistance, indicating to me they have some idea of what happens in the workroom. I wondered why it never came up.

Tim last week referred to Oliver and Anya as a "dream team." That baffled me, as she is supposed to have so little experience, and it's so early in the season. Where did that come from?

I keep wondering if they decide the winner before the competition even begins. Very few people agreed with, or even understood, Gretchen winning last year. It will be interesting to see if Anya, the girl who supposedly didn't even learn to sew until after she applied for the show, wins. She's currently the fan favorite, and only one other person is even close to her. I don't get that, either. I don't dislike her at all; I just don't get what's happening with her.

KJSJpipe
08-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Her name is Anya, <snip> She's currently the fan favorite, and only one other person is even close to her. I don't get that, either. I don't dislike her at all; I just don't get what's happening with her.

I agree, she is supposed to be so new to it but seems to be able to some pretty good work.
Very weird.

Tinkermommy
08-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Hmmm...I think I get the fan favorite part of it. Anya is apparently a former beauty queen from her country who helped design some of her own outfits. She also apparently has...er...somewhat of a scandalous past. I couldn't understand why they would put someone on the show who has almost no sewing experience when sewing is such a HUGE part of the competition. Methinks maybe they were going for the ratings.

Drince88
08-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Methinks maybe they were going for the ratings.
NO WAY!!!
That couldn't have been it!!!

:D

I agreed with the decisions - though do women in high fashion that are Nina's age actually go braless frequently? I mean someone asked that - and I wasn't sure if the uncomfortable laughter in the response was because it was an 'inappropriate' question (like asking Nina how old she was), inherently obvious (because of course she wouldn't wear a bra most of the time) or inherently obvious (because of course a woman over 30 wears a bra most of the time).

mom22gls
09-04-2011, 04:46 AM
With regard to the "avant garde" challenge, the contestants were told the designs were not "runway looks" but artistic interpretations, and they should be really creative. Certainly the quality of construction had to be there, but I expected them to use more unconventional techniques. When it came time for the judging, a lot of the remarks related to whether the design was flattering or wearable, which should not have been particularly relevant-they treated the designs the same as any other runway challenge. I thought most of the designs, with the possible exception of Anya's, were basically runway looks-they seemed pretty safe, and the only unusual techniques were things like fabric painting. They were all afraid to seem "costumey," but that approach should have been appropriate to that particular challenge.

Drince88
09-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Aside from that part of it, I REALLY liked the idea behind the challenge. Get your inspiration from this artist's work, that you're going to help them with.

The kids were a bit of a riot. I loved the girl who really wanted to wear the outfit, and did ALL the talking when Tim came up to them.

The shape of Bert's pants were sure 'out there' - but he could have done so much using a different construction technique for the embelishments. I mean, really, surging on the outside and stuffing?

That wolf painting was VERY powerful! I can't believe she did that in such a short time.

mom22gls
09-04-2011, 10:50 AM
The kids were impressive-both talented and confident.

Drince88
09-10-2011, 05:44 AM
A group of Internet friends started a pool, and we all had a designer randomly picked for us after the initial elimination. So now I'm rooting for Laura Kathleen ("Barbie").

I happened to go through and read this thread from the start --- looks like you got a good one, there.

I agreed with the judges this time around, on both ends of the spectrum - but I thought it was interesting that the producers did not 'telegraph' through the editing that it was Anya who won. I would have thought, based on the gushing shown in the editing, that it would have been one of the boys.

Joshua is getting on my nerves. Bert is far from blameless, but the DRAMA from Joshua is so over the top.

Are there more team challenges this year than in the past? I know they have to do different things each year to keep everyone on their toes, and it makes for 'better' TV to have more drama. But sheesh.

And I REALLY wish they hadn't made the fabric challenge a team challenge. ALL black and white prints, really guys? ONE person gets a pass on that (Anthony Ryan). At least the winning team did some interesting things with it.

Tinkermommy
09-10-2011, 09:09 AM
...that the producers did not 'telegraph' through the editing that it was Anya who won. I would have thought, based on the gushing shown in the editing, that it would have been one of the boys.

I agree with you! I do recall Anya making one statement early in the episode about how she'd been in the top, never in the bottom, and that she'd never won. Maybe that was it?

It blew my mind that after praising Viktor's gown and saying Oliver's jacket was "what we've been waiting for," they chose Anya's simple dress. Especially after past episodes in which they've griped about contestants making that same silhoutte over and over. The only unusual thing that dress had going for it was the low back, which was reflected in most of that collection's pieces. In all fairness, I confess that I am developing an anti-Anya bias because I've become convinced she's a pre-chosen winner rather than a real contestant. She's charming and quite likeable, but I've never seen a PR contestant get as much help as she received in past episodes, and nobody ever calls her on it.

Are there more team challenges this year than in the past?

I think so. It certainly feels that way. If I remember correctly, they've done just a few team challenges in the past -- a pair, and a group. I could be wrong. But this season, it feels like they're doing it every other week, and it feels VERY much like they're just doing it to see contestants fight. If I wanted to see people fight, I'd watch one of those real housewives shows.:p

Josh (who is the Tinkerteen's contestant in our group) lost any sympathy I might have had for him. What a bully! I suspect when we found out why he was testy we were supposed to feel sympathy for him, but all I could think was how incredibly mean he is. It seemed like Bert was making an effort to be a team player this week, and then the judges blasted HIM for the strife in the group. Seriously?

I'm really not enjoying the show as much as I have in the past. Since it moved to Lifetime, it feels a lot more staged to me. Other than being in the pool and rooting for Laura Kathleen, I admit I really don't care who wins this season.

Drince88
09-16-2011, 09:14 AM
SOMEONE needs to work with clients more and get off his high horse.

I don't like boobies because they ruin the line of the clothes....I don't like working with clients because they have <<gasp>> opinions. Please.

KarenW2
09-16-2011, 12:16 PM
I couldn't believe that! If the person really wants to become a real designer in the REAL world in the future, they will have to work with clients who actually have an opinion and have real bodies, not just stick thin models!!

I was surprised the person was safe, since I didn't like what the person produced!!

mom22gls
09-16-2011, 02:02 PM
It was funny how everyone worried so much about the guys, and it turned out that the women, the actual clients, were all beautiful. Yes, they had different body types, but they all looked lovely.