PDA

View Full Version : Winnie the Pooh

mousterpiece
07-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Has anyone else seen this yet? I feel so bad for the movie, as it's opening opposite Harry Potter and is, thus, going to be pulverized. I saw this with my wife this morning (no kids with us, and we were the only ones there without any) and I really liked it a lot. I've got plenty of nostalgia for the old movie and the shorts, but I thought this new movie was sweet, cute, charming, and very funny. Highly recommended!

ChurroGirl
07-16-2011, 05:29 PM
DH and I haven't seen it yet but are hoping to go to an early morning showing next Sunday.

We love Pooh and Friends so it will be a must see for us.

Drince88
07-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Is the animation in the same style as the old ones (like Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree --- "Tut, Tut, looks like rain")?

THpoohbear
07-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes, Cathy! The animation is in that same style, backgrounds, and book pages (with Pooh walking around on the text) included. The film is beautiful. I really enjoyed it at my preview screening. I'm taking the family tomorrow night! And it was hilarious. One scene had me in stitches! Such a great movie for those of us who loves those 60's featurettes. The did a great job.

Drince88
07-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Uggg (in a good way). Now I have 3 movies on my list to see --- maybe if I get the lawn mowed early tomorrow I can at least go see one of them. (Cars 2, Harry Potter, Winnie the Pooh)

mousterpiece
07-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Of those three, I'd put Cars 2 at the end of the list. And, since Harry Potter's in every theater everywhere in the world and will be for a while, I say check out Winnie the Pooh if you get the chance tomorrow.

cheshirecatgirl
07-16-2011, 09:20 PM
My BIL took my 3 yr old niece yesterday. Apparently, she loudly proclaimed that she didn't like Winnie the Pooh and wanted to see a Barbie movie! I intend to see this one, perhaps tomorrow. I liked the preview of it, it looked like a nice version like the original, instead of all this modern junk.

THpoohbear
07-17-2011, 12:03 AM
A lot of people are giving Cars 2 a bad rap, but I really enjoyed it! It is not Cars 1. It is an international spy movie with the cars characters in it. The backgrounds are stunning and it is a very fun movie. Did I cry at the end? No. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have any emotional impact or character development.

IllusionOfLife
07-17-2011, 08:02 AM
I have no idea why Disney decided to commit box office suicide by going up against the most anticipated film of the decade. I really want to see Winnie the Pooh as well, but I'm not sure when I'll get a chance at this point. I usually don't have the time/money to see more than one movie a week and this week was Harry Potter, next week will likely be Captain America, and the week after will be Cowboys & Aliens. It would have been smarter to find a nice quiet weekend when nothing else major was opening (like how about last weekend?) and release it then.

mousterpiece
07-17-2011, 08:57 AM
ITA about the box office issue. Disney opened this in the UK in April; I kind of wish they'd done the same here, as it would've been a lot less crowded at the multiplex. I'm glad I saw it, but I know a lot of people who would also enjoy it aren't going to get a chance to see it until it's out on DVD, which is a shame.

Karin
07-17-2011, 05:15 PM
DH, Cub and I saw it today. It was Cub's first in-theatre movie! And it did not disappoint! The original 2D animation in the old style is sweet and nostalgic. When folks go to see it, you MUST stay til the end, after ALL the credits, for a special scene. We were the only ones left in the theatre after our showing and were surprised with the gift that was just for us!

And the short, The Balld of Nessie, beforehand was sweet and perfect!

mousterpiece
07-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Karin, I know that would've been the case yesterday, but unfortunately, I didn't realize that there's a scene after the credits until I was looking up the behind-the-scenes of how the movie was made. I'll be excited to see how that scene (I read a quick summary, and it put a smile on my face) plays out. I only wish one of the reviews I'd read in advance advised audience members to stay all the way to the end. Ah well.

cheshirecatgirl
07-17-2011, 07:31 PM
I saw this one today and loved it! Very sweet and funny. I loved how they kept the old style, and the characters were great. I stayed till the end of the credits and was glad I did! Too bad no one else in the theater stayed. And I LOVED The Ballad of Nessie! I wasn't expecting that, but it was cool.

adriennek
07-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I only wish one of the reviews I'd read in advance advised audience members to stay all the way to the end. Ah well.

We always, ALWAYS stay until the end. Always. ;)

cheshirecatgirl
07-19-2011, 08:46 AM
We always, ALWAYS stay until the end. Always. ;)

Me too. You never know! Esp with Disney/Pixar!

candles71
07-19-2011, 09:41 AM
I got a free movie ticket for it from my movie rewards. I had had to replace my Lilo and Stitch DVD, so I conviently had a code to input. The girls' tickets will only be $2 ( $5 tuesdays, minus $3 coupons from M&M's ;)) But it will have to wait for next week. Today I am driving one of G's friends to the airport in SF, she is off to Europe for 5 months, her dad has to work and her mom, and she, have no sense of direction.

Drince, I really liked Cars 2. I also, read an interview with.... (the guy who runs Pixar, Brain freeze) after I saw it, which added perspective to the movie that was great.

HTanner
07-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I have no idea why Disney decided to commit box office suicide by going up against the most anticipated film of the decade. I really want to see Winnie the Pooh as well, but I'm not sure when I'll get a chance at this point. I usually don't have the time/money to see more than one movie a week and this week was Harry Potter, next week will likely be Captain America, and the week after will be Cowboys & Aliens. It would have been smarter to find a nice quiet weekend when nothing else major was opening (like how about last weekend?) and release it then.

I think they did it to offer parents with small kids something to see. Which is GREAT! I fully intend to take my 7 and 5 year old to Winnie the Pooh and enjoy the quiet theater because they aren't yet in to Harry Potter.

IllusionOfLife
07-25-2011, 09:25 PM
I think they did it to offer parents with small kids something to see. Which is GREAT! I fully intend to take my 7 and 5 year old to Winnie the Pooh and enjoy the quiet theater because they aren't yet in to Harry Potter.

It is certainly good to have options at the theater, but my worry is, with three big blockbusters right in a row, Winnie the Pooh is going to be completely pushed out by next week. The movie theaters are going to give more theater space to Harry Potter, Captain America, and Cowboys & Aliens, and there will be no room left for Pooh. Also, consider that parents taking there kids to a movie typically aren't going to rush out and see it on opening weekend, and if the film only gets a three week run due to the competition many people won't get a chance to see it because they aren't necessarily in a hurry. Having seen the movie now, I think it would have been much better suited for either spring or fall, a time when not a lot else is being released and it could have a good uninterrupted run. Pitting it against three major summer tent poles was, in my view, a bad call.

Anyway, I finally got a chance to see Winnie the Pooh which I've been dying to see and I loved it. It was not anything particularly profound or extraordinary, but Winnie the Pooh doesn't need to be that. It was absolutely perfect in the sense that it's the best Winnie the Pooh movie anyone could possibly make. It is the perfect example of beauty in simplicity, and as a long-time animation nerd, and Disney fanboy, I loved every minute of it.

A-

KJSJpipe
07-26-2011, 10:37 AM
A lot of people are giving Cars 2 a bad rap, but I really enjoyed it! It is not Cars 1. It is an international spy movie with the cars characters in it. The backgrounds are stunning and it is a very fun movie. Did I cry at the end? No. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have any emotional impact or character development.

Absolutely! I have had a few people tell me they did not go see it because they were told it was not or little kids because it had too much action. :eek: :confused: :eyeroll: I usually try to set them straight. We all loved it.

My kids are older and have no interest in seeing the Pooh movie but I might go by myself next week and see it. Pooh is not my favorite but it helps if I see the movie so I can talk to my guests about it.

Karin
07-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Absolutely! I have had a few people tell me they did not go see it because they were told it was not or little kids because it had too much action. :eek: :confused: :eyeroll: I usually try to set them straight. We all loved it.

My kids are older and have no interest in seeing the Pooh movie but I might go by myself next week and see it. Pooh is not my favorite but it helps if I see the movie so I can talk to my guests about it.

DH and I agree that our "little kid" (3.5 yr old) is not ready for Cars 2. We saw it, specifically previewing it before taking him and knowing our son we know that a lot of the action scenes would scare him. I don't like the use of guns by a franchise that started out with sweet relationships. It's a fine movie and DH and I enjoyed it, but DS3.5 will not be seeing it any time soon.

Pooh IS my favorite and was the first movie we took DS to. He LOVED it!

As with attractions at DL and WDW or anything else in life, YMMV and it's up to the parents to screen for the little kids in the family. If others don't want to take their little kids because of too much action, as you put it, that's their perogative, and mine as well, whether you try to set me straight or not. You state your kids are older. Then you don't have to gauge a movie for issues that folks with littler kids do. Good for you.

candles71
07-27-2011, 08:22 AM
We took the niece and nephews to see cars 2. (3,5, and 7) They loved it as well, but action doesn't seem to bother them. I do know other kiddos who wouldn't have liked it. Like Karin said YMMV.
The girls (12 and 9) and I went to see Pooh yesterday, it was really cute, and I've never been into Pooh before. We did wait all the way through the credits, only one other mom and her 2 little ones waited also.
Regarding crowds, tuesday morning, a week and a half almost 2 weeks in, our theatre was still at least 2/3 full. Later arrivals were having to look for seats together.

KJSJpipe
07-27-2011, 08:48 AM
If others don't want to take their little kids because of too much action, as you put it, that's their perogative, and mine as well, whether you try to set me straight or not. You state your kids are older. Then you don't have to gauge a movie for issues that folks with littler kids do. Good for you.

While my kids are older I know many people with younger kids who have also seen the movie and did not have any issues with it. It is my job to encourage people to see the movies that we have, do I tell them that the Cars 2 movie is all butterflies and light? No, but I do tell them that it is not over the top with any thing that would be to much for younger kids. I do let them know that it is an adventure movie. I also tell them they should use their own judgment and not let other peoples negative thoughts keep them from seeing a movie their kids will most likely enjoy. The people who are asking if it's okay for younger kids have children who are around 5 years old. I don't just blow smoke up their butts just because it's better for business, if I liked the movie and think it is appropriate for their family I let them know that. On the flip side if I did not like the movie and have a negative opinion of it I let them know it was not my favorite then tell them other opinions I have heard from fellow CM's and guests who did enjoy it and why. Two good examples - WallE, I did not like the movie at all. I can appreciate how a child would enjoy it with the all the robots and all but as an adult it made me sad that the world could really end up that way if we are not more careful in what we do with our trash/recyclables. Princess and the Frog, I thought it was a good movie but I always let the parents know that it is a bit "dark" with all the Voodoo and dark magic that may scare kids who are really young or scare easily.
I always try to get a feeling for what kind of things the child likes and go from there when recommending a movie or product to a guest and their family.