PDA

View Full Version : Golden State Pops Orchestra 2011/12 Season to open with "A Spoonful of Sherman"

Gone2Disneyland
06-12-2011, 09:06 AM
After living in the South Bay for several years now, I finally got a chance to see the GSPO perform. I ushered for the San Diego Symphony/San Diego Pops when I was in college and enjoyed it greatly. So this was something I've been wanting to do for a while now.

Being a geek, I loved that last night's program was a tribute to the film music of Jerry Goldsmith. But also being a Disney geek, I got a double shot of geekness because not only did they perform "Soarin'," Goldsmith's composition for the DCA attraction, but they also played a non-Goldsmith composition as a promotional sneak peek to their opening show for next season. "A Spoonful of Sherman" was a medley of music from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," "Mary Poppins," and "It's a Small World (After All)" arranged by Tony Fox.

But even more than that, what made my first trip to see the pops orchestra a trifecta of holy geeky goodness was the fact that Richard Sherman was in the audience! When the conductor acknowledged him before the piece, Mr. Sherman stood up and waved to the appreciative audience. And then after the performance, he was acknowledged one more time, and this time the audience, enthused by hearing the music he and his brother composed, gave him a lengthy standing ovation. During the intermission, he was happy to sign autographs and pose for pictures for anyone who approached him. I didn't ask for his autograph, just shook his hand and got a picture with him. But I hope to when I go back to the Warner Grand on September 24, my soundtrack to "Mary Poppins" and a black Sharpie in hand.

The new season hasn't been posted to their website, but the date is printed in the program. "A Spoonful of Sherman: Celebrating the Sherman Brothers - Music from the composers of Jungle Book, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

http://www.gspo.com/

You have been duly notified. :)