PDA

View Full Version : Fast Five - Discussion Thread - Spoilers Allowed

aidensdaddy
05-06-2011, 02:07 PM
A little late, yes, but I just saw the movie last night and I wanted to inform people of something that a lot of people seem to be missing out on.

When Tokyo Drift ended, at the end of the credits, Vin Diesel as Toretto makes a brief cameo appearance to leave a hook for the fourth film, Fast & Furious. Though I don't remember if there was one at the end of the fourth film, there definitely was a small scene at the end of Fast Five. I'll post about that in a few moments, located in the spoiler box below.

The film itself was packed full of action. In it, we see the return of several actors from past films including Vince from the original film. He now has his own life in Rio with his own little armed entourage. As most people know by now, others have returned as well such as Tyrese & Ludacris from the second film, Kang from the third film (despite that his character actually died in it), and Gisele from the fourth film. What about Eva Mendes you ask? Heh heh, well,....uhm,....click the spoiler box if you dare. Anyways, a few new faces including Dwayne The Rock Johnson as Agent Hobbs, a DSS agent sent to bring in Dom, Brian, & Mia. As well as newcomer Elsa Pataky, a Rio police officer who works with Hobbs, and you know is going to be a new love interest for Vin's character Dominic Toretto. There is lots of comedic moments in the film, and Rock basically steals the scenes that he is in. But the action, which packs the film itself, ties it all together.

And yes, there is a 6th one in the works. Which is the reason for the scene at the end during the credits, which is the hook for the next one. And for those that are a fan of the series, it is a HUGE spoiler. Thankfully, you don't need to wait until the very end of the credits to see it. At the very end of the film, the credits roll for the main characters only. Basically, I'm talking about Vin, Paul, Jordana, Tyrese, Ludacris, Matt Schulze (Vince), Gal Gadot (Gisele), Kang, and the Rock. When each name is shown, you're shown shots of them from the previous furious films. Once all those names are shown, the spoiler scene rolls for a moment and then the rest of the credits. Now, click on the spoiler at your own risk. If you want to be surprised, then don't view it, and go see the movie yourself, even if you have already seen it. Otherwise, enjoy.....

The scene starts with Hobbs back in his office in Washington, D.C. We're then shown a pair of legs in high heels walking towards the office. (The second I saw those legs, I knew instantly who it was.) Sure enough, Eva Mendes' character U.S. Customs agent Monica Fuentes gives Hobbs a file concerning a hijacked military convoy in Berlin. Hobbs asks if its Toretto, to which Fuentes answers its not, and he says he doesn't want to see it. Fuentes encourages him to open the file. He does, and we are shown a recent photo of Michelle Rodriguez's character, Leticia Ortiz. (Dom's presumed dead girlfriend, who was apparently not killed in the fourth film.) Fuentes asks Hobbs if he believes in ghosts, and the scene ends as the credits continue to roll.

With my knowledge of what happened at the end of the 3rd film, I stuck around for the ending of this one. There weren't that many others in the theater last night, but some of them did stick around for it and were positively surprised as I was. And others that I talked to at the theater that have seen it in recent weeks also have seen it as well. But we watched (as we waited for Thor) as many people left the theater once the credits started rolling after the film was over....knowing that they all missed out on that particular scene. And from what I've read, Vin along with the other producer of the film as well as the writer, are working on the 6th film currently. And are trying to bring back others from the 5th film for the next one. So if we have all of them, including Letty and Monica in it as well, then I am definitely looking forward to the next one. No word on when that will be.

cstephens
05-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I've only seen the fourth and fifth films in the series and loved them both. The husband says I should go back and watch the first and second films because he thinks I'd like them too, so I might do that. He skipped the third one, which I probably will too. We refer to that one as "Halloween 3". I loved the little spoiler in the middle of the credits. Boy, is Dom going to be mad. (And yes, there were only a handful of people left in the theatre by that point. Me, I always stick around for all of the credits because I dig credits anyway.)

The fight scene between Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel was pretty epic. That was a blast. I know Dwayne Johnson was a WWE guy, but I don't remember what Vin Diesel did in his former life before acting. The first thing I think I saw him in was "The Chronicles of Riddick", which I really liked.

aidensdaddy
05-06-2011, 02:23 PM
I've only seen the fourth and fifth films in the series and loved them both. The husband says I should go back and watch the first and second films because he thinks I'd like them too, so I might do that. He skipped the third one, which I probably will too. We refer to that one as "Halloween 3". I loved the little spoiler in the middle of the credits. Boy, is Dom going to be mad. (And yes, there were only a handful of people left in the theatre by that point. Me, I always stick around for all of the credits because I dig credits anyway.)

The fight scene between Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel was pretty epic. That was a blast. I know Dwayne Johnson was a WWE guy, but I don't remember what Vin Diesel did in his former life before acting. The first thing I think I saw him in was "The Chronicles of Riddick", which I really liked.

I liked that fight scene, it was pretty epic. I'm a WWE fan and a big fan of the Rock and was very interested to know that he would be in this film. During that fight, when Rock was on his back and he leaped back up on to his feet, I used a WWE commentators line and said "Vintage Rock!". He did that move quite often as a wrestler. He was only one of two wrestlers that could do that move. You should see all of them, including the third one. It will give a bit more background on Kang's character.

Oh, a bit of trivia for ya. Producers wanted to name this film Furious Five. But they strayed away from it and named it Furious Five out of respect for Kung Fu Panda 2, which uses the term Furious 5 for their main characters. Will the next one be named Furious 6? I dunno.

oregontraveler
05-06-2011, 07:04 PM
I have been 'jonesin' for this to come out and I saw it last Saturday at a drive-in. I think its better that the last one, The Rock probably is part of that equation. But there are some definite WTF moments that seemed too bizzare. The 2 breakout scenes
where nobody dies and then Hobbs saying he'll roll with Dom to get the bad guy. C'mon, he just switched sides just like that.

I didn't stick around to see the last part of the credits, but I did see part of it on YouTube to get the jist of the setup for #6. It would be nice to see Eva return, I'm not so sure about Letty though. I love the character though, but it seemed they made an effort to kill her off with a purpose, you know.

The one thing that bugged me is that even though the whole film is set in Rio. They used too many fly-overs of the Christ statue. Its one thing to use it as an establishing shot, but it felt like they kept going to it to bridge the scenes together.

aidensdaddy
05-06-2011, 09:51 PM
The one thing that bugged me is that even though the whole film is set in Rio. They used too many fly-overs of the Christ statue. Its one thing to use it as an establishing shot, but it felt like they kept going to it to bridge the scenes together.

I think they were just trying to prove a point, to say that this was all filmed in Rio and not somewhere else. Unlike with the first Transformers movie, where the ending was not supposed to be in Los Angeles but it clearly was.