PDA

View Full Version : Dec Crowds? Xmas theme

Alpha1mom
04-15-2003, 04:19 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to plan early for a Christmas/Dec trip to DL.
How are the crowds in the first couple weeks in Dec?
I'm looking at Dec 7th for 7 days.

Is the Christmas parade running? NBC still at the HM?
Closures? (bummer about space mtn)
I'd appreciate any and all advice!

Thank you so much!

Lisa

MammaSilva
04-15-2003, 05:50 AM
Alpha1mom, the first part of December the decorations are all in place, the Christmas activities will be up and running and with the exception of the Candlelight performance crowds tend to be lighter, the down side is that the park closes fairly early during that time frame. When we went it was closing at 8pm during the week. DCA was closing at 7pm. The weekends were the exception but even they weren't open the "typical" 11/midnight times. If I had that time frame in mind I would back it up and try to arrive on December 5th, not because the park actually Does anything special in honor of Walt's birthday but just to know I was there on his birthday, but that's just me.

tjrj
04-15-2003, 07:00 AM
Our last trip was during a similar time frame-although we made sure we WERE there for Walt's b-day. It was a special day-again-not because Disney did much but just to say "we were there". Crowds were light-heavier during the weekend. And yes, closures were earlier during the week but you still have DD to hang out in and dine in.

downingfamily1
04-15-2003, 08:57 AM
We are also looking at early December this year. I love the Christmas decorations. Last time we went in December the NBC overlay was still in place. My kids absolutely loved it.

Does anyone know the typical dates for Candlelight performances? If we go I would like to avoid as much of the crowds as possible.

Thanks,
Julie

tjrj
04-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Relying on memory which sometimes isn't the most reliable:D , I think the Candlelight Processional is usually the 2nd weekend in December. I know when we were there in 2001, it was scheduled for the weekend AFTER we left and our last day was December 5th.

Toady The Eighth
04-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Alpha1mom
Hi,
I'm trying to plan early for a Christmas/Dec trip to DL.
How are the crowds in the first couple weeks in Dec?
I'm looking at Dec 7th for 7 days.

Is the Christmas parade running? NBC still at the HM?
Closures?

Hi Alpha1mom!

Early December is a great time to go to the parks. The crowds are still relatively light (if you've ever been in the fall, after labor day, about that) and the park will be beautiful and in full swing for the Christmas Season!

The Nightmare Before Christmas should still be at the Haunted Mansion, the fireworks will already be the "Believe In Holiday Magic" with the snow at the end, and the weather in December is not bad either!

Last time I was there in December, it was about 70° during the day, very chilly at night, so bring a coat, and I didn't wait in a line for more than 15 minutes for anything The only downfall is that the park does close kind of early (around 8-9pm):rolleyes:

Have a great time!:cool:

tlovesdis
04-15-2003, 11:20 AM
We were there this past December from the 7th - 11th. It was very, very busy compared to what I had heard. We were told that was a great time to go and it turned out to be much more crowded than we thought. Granted, it is nothing like summer or a major holiday, but I was hoping it wouldn't be so busy. The weekend we were there was the Candlelight Processional and that was just crazy! I thought by Monday things would be better, but I was wrong. It was pleasant enough though.

The best time to go, in my opinion, is October or November (avoiding Halloween and Thanksgiving), but then you do not get the full effect of the Christmas stuff. I would suggest maybe the very beginning on December, before the CP.

Tina
Antioch, CA

Toady The Eighth
04-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by tlovesdis
We were there this past December from the 7th - 11th. It was very, very busy compared to what I had heard. We were told that was a great time to go and it turned out to be much more crowded than we thought. Granted, it is nothing like summer or a major holiday, but I was hoping it wouldn't be so busy.

I guess that just goes to show that it all depends on your perspective.. I was there Dec 6-13 and thought the crowds were pretty sparse. Particularly considering all of the great holiday festivites.:D

MKY4ME
04-15-2003, 11:35 AM
I would keep your plans for the early part of December. You really need to see the holiday decorations, NBC and small world. It is not to be missed! And as for the weather--it is usually nice--my hubby surfs on christmas day and new years day so....................