PDA

View Full Version : Construction times

disneyscott
04-14-2003, 09:40 AM
Why does it take so long for Disney to build anything. Is it union slow down type work or inept workers? we have TOT that takes over 2 years now they are Saying that SM will take two years, to get the work done. Over at USH they are removing ET and (FROM WHAT WE HAVE HEARD) puting a rolercoster in that show building and that is only taking one year (open in 2004) For the life of me I cant understand what is taking so long.

DisneyFan25863
04-14-2003, 09:46 AM
You have to understand that Disney does actually do work pretty fast. It took exactly one year and one day to bulid ALL of Disneyland. :eek: :cool: ;)

furbE95
04-14-2003, 04:07 PM
You cant compare the mummy ride and ToT. The tower has to be built almost entirely from scratch. The Mummy coaster, on the other hand, has already built segments of the track and is having them moved in.

SoCalDisneyLover
04-15-2003, 06:26 AM
I understand the length of time to build the TOT from scratch, but why 2+ Years to put up identical track for Space Mtn.? How long did the original take, which of course included the time to construct the building itself. Something which won't be necessary during the refurb.

DisneyFan25863
04-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Because they are a)completly gutting the buliding b)rebulilding it from scatch.

So its like buliding a new ride, only it looks the same. They are even rebuliding the quene:eek:

Ghoulish Delight
04-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Because they are a)completly gutting the buliding b)rebulilding it from scatch.

So its like buliding a new ride, only it looks the same. They are even rebuliding the quene:eek: Even so, two years is too long, even from scratch. Afterall, it took them 2 years to build it originally, and that was with brand new untested technology, no computer modeling, and they had to build the entire show building. Simply rebuilding a tested design without the show building should take significantly less time. But, (I'm not going to repeat myself), click here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=217016#post217016) for my theory as to why things take so long.

innerSpaceman
04-15-2003, 12:00 PM
Yes, but demolition and haul-away takes a very long time, too. Most likely longer than it took to build the uncomplicated show building. So, since it took two years to build Space Mountain orginally, I don't think the same time frame is unreasonable to do a little bit more than the same job.

Now why on earth it took 13 months to rebuild the Caroussel I will never understand!

furbE95
04-15-2003, 12:44 PM
LOL innerspaceman answered Goulish's question twice. He provided us with the link, but he didnt read inner's response the first time. Inner's explanation of the hauling away of stuff makes a ton of sense.

disneyscott
04-15-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by furbE95
makes a ton of sense.

that was punny

I still don't agree that it should take two years, but I will agree that they are spread thin with all the work that is needed for the 50th. That is why you you add to your staff.

furbE95
04-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by disneyscott
that was punny
I agree that there are other factors at play, but you cannot at all discredit that point. Remember, its not just the track thats getting gutted, it's also the queue.

And hopefully a good part of the two years will be spent on all these new digital effects. While the track does not have to be redesigned, the queue and new effects do. Plus don't forget all the testing that still needs to go into the new track. Wouldn't you rather have them take their time, and do it right rather than a rush job? All disney needs right now is more bad publicity. Imagine the complaining if they make such a beloved attraction less than it is.

Ghoulish Delight
04-15-2003, 01:53 PM
True, demo time is involved, but no excavation time :D

Either way, I still think the fact that they will be using time tested technology (and track layout) this time should save tons of time. Afterall, as has been mentioned many times, far larger, more complicated, and completely untested rides are built in well under 1 year routinely at certain "thrill parks." If a ride like Magic Mountain's Scream, with like 7 loops, no floor, and significantly more speed and stress can go up in 6 months, than surely they can rebuild a replica of Space Mountain in less time. Even with theming and queue structure concerns, should it really take 4 times as long? Are we saying that coaster and construction technology hasn't progressed in 25 years that it should take the same ammount of time to build the same ride?

Of course, the other thing to consider...building codes. Building codes have gotten much stricter since the original was built. That may also account for the extra time built into the game plan.

Darren
04-15-2003, 04:45 PM
I was wondering if the early closure will have any effect on the construction time. The demolition and construction crews may be booked up right now and may not be able to start until closer to the scheduled shut down.

We'll just have to keep an eye on any early progress at the sight.
It would be great if it was up and running earlier than scheduled.

Hydroman
04-16-2003, 06:34 AM
Perhaps they want to take their time and be safe, so as to avoid decapitations .........