PDA

View Full Version : Which resort for kids...Port Orleans French Quarter, Riverside or Pop?

Xandux
04-17-2010, 06:18 PM
We are going to be travelling to WDW in sept/oct for 2 weeks as a family of 4 with 2 kids ages 5 and 11.

What do you think would be the best option for the kids of these three resorts... POFQ, POR or POP?

Please rank in order and give details if possible.

Thanks.

mickeymom5
04-18-2010, 07:26 AM
We have never stayed at Pop, but we have stayed at two other value resorts (ASMu and ASMo). We stayed at POFQ last year. There was definitely a different "vibe" to POFQ vs. the values. The values are great, but it did seem like everything was more relaxed and quieter at POFQ. We really enjoyed POFQ. Especially, if you are going to be there for an extended time, I think the "calmness" of it would be great!

Everything was close. You have a covered bus stop (values do not). The food court was great! The pool was great! We enjoyed saying "hi" to the "alligators" every morning (the statues on the way to the pool). The landscaping is beautiful. The boat to Downtown Disney was fun. There are bicycles to rent, carriage rides, and water sports. You can take the boat to POR and enjoy their food court or TS restaurant. There are just so many more things to explore at POFQ/POR compared to the values. We would stay there again in a heartbeat, but alas we are now officially a family of five (our youngest turned 3) so we are staying in POR this July. I am looking forward to being able to compare the two resorts, and I will do so in my trip report when we return.

If I was a family of four and staying for two weeks, I would definitely pick POFQ. I don't think you will disappointed! However, any stay at any Disney resort won't disappoint! Happy Planning! :fez:

Xandux
04-18-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm really wondering as far as the fun factor for the kids, especially my younger one.

I myself would prefer one of the PO resorts but POP looks like a lot of fun for the kids.

Thoughts?

mkraemer
04-18-2010, 08:10 AM
I think that mickeymom5 said it very well with her description of POFQ, and for a 2-week vacation, I would recommend staying at the nicest level accommodations you can because you'll be calling it home for quite some time.

You might want to consider switching resorts during your stay (it's simple enough to do; bell services will get your luggage from one resort and take it to another one) to give yourself a change of scenery or simply try another option (I would recommend moving 'up' if you start at a value resort rather than starting at a moderate and moving to a value).

You might want to also consider some other options. Coronado Springs Resort has queen beds in its rooms (it's a moderate resort) with a terrific pool. Another option that I like a lot--and think would be good for a longer stay such as yours--is the Ft. Wilderness cabins because you'd have more space and not feel cramped in a hotel room as well as having a full kitchen (which can make breakfasts and any other meals simple and economical).

You'll be visiting WDW in time for the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (my favorite!), so be sure to check that out as part of your visit!

Mickey71
04-18-2010, 08:55 AM
(As usual) Mary has said it so well ! I have never stayed at the values but have stayed in most of the moderates - they are still plenty fun for the kids with lovely themed pools etc. and for a long stay - I believe you will want as much property to explore as possible. While the oversized theming of the values may seem appealing .... I personally think it would be too much of a good thing for me. The kiddos are so stimulated with all the parks and everything anyway - I like to go back to my resort and find it a place to relax and be calm.

Mickey71
04-18-2010, 08:57 AM
I think that mickeymom5 said it very well with her description of POFQ, and for a 2-week vacation, I would recommend staying at the nicest level accommodations you can because you'll be calling it home for quite some time.

You might want to consider switching resorts during your stay (it's simple enough to do; bell services will get your luggage from one resort and take it to another one) to give yourself a change of scenery or simply try another option (I would recommend moving 'up' if you start at a value resort rather than starting at a moderate and moving to a value).

You might want to also consider some other options. Coronado Springs Resort has queen beds in its rooms (it's a moderate resort) with a terrific pool. Another option that I like a lot--and think would be good for a longer stay such as yours--is the Ft. Wilderness cabins because you'd have more space and not feel cramped in a hotel room as well as having a full kitchen (which can make breakfasts and any other meals simple and economical).

You'll be visiting WDW in time for the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (my favorite!), so be sure to check that out as part of your visit!

TEMPORARY HIJACK - MARY - how long are you staying ? will our trips overlap???

mzloolue
04-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Actually the kids will should be happy at any of those resorts.

Two weeks is a long time and it seems like changing resorts would be fun with that amount of time.

Another question I have is where you are coming from.
I ask because for me, I want to be at a resort that doesn't look like home.
Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter are noce and the landscaping is mature and beautiful, however for me it looks a lot like where I live.
Crepe Myrtles, Oaks, azaleas and roses are lovely, but not exotic to me, you know?

POFQ is really cute and the pool would appeal to younger children and has a fun slide, but the pool there is much smaller than those at the newer resorts.
My kids were older when we stayed there and they did not get into the pool at all. It was crowded and my kids said it was too much kid pee for them.
When it got later and the crowds thinned out they turned off the slide and it was just a small brightly decorated pool.

The Pop Century grounds are geared to kids and the pool is large and nice, but it doesn't have a slide.
The food court is kid friendly and easily accessed.
The landscaping is inmature, but sufficient.
The lake reflects the sunset, is nice to walk around, and there are usually ducks.
Across the lake is the uncompleted part of Pop which is surreal looking.
To me they look like futuristic ruins from some disaster... more interesting than sad.

mkraemer mentioned Coronado Springs which is also one of my favorite resorts. It has a fair sized lake, birds,fish and other critters. There is a nice nature type trail.
The Dig Site pool is big.
The Jaguar Slide is fun for big kids and small ones. One of the most remarkable experiences I have had a WDW was sliding one evening with a group that ranged from about three years old to people in their 70s all lining up, sliding and talking together.:)
The Dig Site playground is also really cool.
It mimics a Mayan archaeological dig site and in addition to the swings and such there is a sandbox where kids can "unearth" relics.
If you are planning to do some nonpark days Coronado could be really fun and relaxing.

The cabins at Fort Wilderness are fairly large and do really feel like cabins in the woods.
The immaculate full kitchen and dining table are nice. Full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave and just about everything you might need for light cooking.
The bathrooms are good sized and there is a deck outside with a nice grill and your own picnic table. You may be visited by birds and bunnies and the place is peaceful.
On the down side, for us anyway, is that it is a bit pricey. For our stay we had a great deal due to a booking snafu, but if it was in my budget I would love to stay there too.

Another suggestion, a fun lunch and break from the Magic Kingdom is to catch the boat from MK to Fort Wilderness and eat at the Trail's End buffet.
The boat ride itself is fun and relaxing. Trail's End doesn't have a huge selection, but they have enough.
Salad, chicken, soup, stew, bbq, veggies, breads, ice cream, cookies and drinks are included and the price is not bad by wdw standards.
While you are there you may want to visit the white ponies that pull Cinderella's carriage.
And relax a while in a chair on the beach there.

scoobydooby
04-18-2010, 11:58 AM
I have never been to POP. Have stayed at POFQ and going to POR next trip. To us, a big draw to both of the PO resorts is that you can use the main pools at both resorts. My children both love to swim and over 2 weeks it's good to be able to use both pools. The playground at POR is pretty good too. My children also enjoy the boat to DTD.

TinaMouse
04-19-2010, 06:23 AM
Well, you picked my favorite 2 resorts! LOL! I'd do one week at Pop, followed by one week at POFQ. Reasons are as listed by others, but I will be insanely jealous if you get to do this!! LOL! Have a great time!

mickeymom5
04-19-2010, 07:12 AM
I'm really wondering as far as the fun factor for the kids, especially my younger one.

I myself would prefer one of the PO resorts but POP looks like a lot of fun for the kids.

Thoughts?

Things my kids loved at POFQ: (their ages at the time: 11, 9 and 2)

The pool (the slide), the playground, the food court (Mardi Gras theme), carriage ride, the boat ride to POR and Downtown Disney, and the wishing coins the CM would give them each morning to toss in the fountain.

I also agree with some of the other posters. If you are going to be there for such an extended time....why not resort hop?

Start at Pop, head over to POFQ and maybe throw in a deluxe for one or two nights at the end...Beach Club's pool area is great for kids and adults...you could totally "chill" out there before heading back to reality!

Happy Planning! :fez:

benbelle
04-20-2010, 08:45 AM
New to this forum...been reading it forever, so finally glad to take the plunge :)
We are staying at POR 5/31-6/5. Originally we booked POFQ, which I was really excited about; however, we are a family of 5 and when we realized there was no option for a roll-away bed, we changed to POR.
One thing that appealed to me about POFQ was the small size of the resort. I am really concerned with being too far from the bus stop etc. From what I understand, at POFQ all rooms are fairly close to the amenities. I have had friends stay there and they loved it.
I didn't even consider the Value Resorts as I've heard it's a little crazy and crowded. I'm with the other person who said that they desire relaxation at the resort.
I should mention we were very close to booking Wilderness Lodge. The theming looks incredible! We are considering adding a day and staying the last two nights at WL for a change.Don't know if that is in your budget..but looks like a wonderful option for kids. I believe it is one of the cheapest Deluxe resorts. With our % off deal, it was only going to be about $500 more than POR. We just had to draw the line somewhere...as hard as it is :)

benbelle
04-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Oh...also POR does have one of the large arcades, if that's something your kids enjoy.

danyoung
04-20-2010, 09:00 AM
I didn't even consider the Value Resorts as I've heard it's a little crazy and crowded.

I just spent a week at the Pop Century, and didn't find this to be true at all. My room was very quiet, and the entire hotel was in no way overrun by noisy folks. I prefer to stay at a moderate, with the Coronado Springs being my favorite by far. But when the budget dictates, as it did this time, the Pop was an excellent choice.

And welcome to the forum!

Leslie
04-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Are you back Danyoung? If so, how was the Pop? As you know in 6 days we will be there for a week. Anything you can quickly tell me about the crowds, bus system, food court, etc. would be greatly appreaciated because in a few days I wont have access to a computer and might miss your trip report until AFTER we come back. Thanks hope you had fun..:fez:

benbelle
04-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Good point! Most definitely if it was the difference in being able to go or not, I'm sure we'd dive right in :) As our two year old gets older, we may have to try out the family suites, or connecting rooms. We were lucky this time to get the deep discount (35%) on the moderate. After re-checking rate, it looks like we're at POR for the same rack rate as a Value Resort.

danyoung
04-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi, Leslie. Yes, I'm back, and the Pop was just fine. I worked with the front desk and a property map to select a room location close to parking (I had my own car). I had several decent meals in an uncrowded food court (the breakfast pizza was iffy, but the rest of the food was fine). I was wrong in an earlier post - there is no mini-grocery area in the gift store like there is in the moderates and up. So if you want to get munchies and stuff, get 'em before hitting the Pop. I didn't do the pools or the busses, so I can't comment. But like I said above, the place was pretty peaceful - no loud sounds, bed was smallish but comfortable.

Leslie
04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks Danyoung, I kinda wondered about the Everything Pop store because 2 years ago there was nothing. But didnt know if that had changed any. Did by chance did you stay in a refurb. room? I think I heard they have only did the 70's building thus far but could of been wrong. Any thoughts on the ride waits and crowds? I figure next week we will be safe with crowds. Watch Im wrong and it's shoulder to shoulder. That would so be my luck.

danyoung
04-21-2010, 03:59 AM
I don't have a clue if my room was refurbished or not. It was decent, and didn't seem frayed or old in any way.

The crowds were very reasonable until Friday and Saturday, when they were pretty much wall to wall. And I think this is just what touringplans.com predicted, so I'd say it was fairly accurate.

benbelle
04-21-2010, 06:51 AM
I forgot to mention that I came across a very helpful and informative website on the Port Orleans resorts. It has the ideal bldgs. to request, alot of pics and videos.
portorleans.org

TinaMouse
04-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Hey benbelle--great site! Thanks so much! Welcome!

mxrapu
04-25-2010, 05:08 PM
I've never stayed at POFQ, but honeymooned at POR. The resort is beautiful, quiet, and peaceful, but my kids are 4 and 9 and I don't think they would like it as much as some of the other resorts we've stayed at. It's too similar to home (VA) and it's got kind of a staid feel to it. Among the moderates, I think CB would be more to their liking.

I know the value resort rooms are smaller and the resorts don't have all the amenities of the moderate and deluxe resorts, but the over sized theming really appeals to young kids. When my daughter was five she was absolutely thrilled with the huge dalmatians and Toy Story characters at AS Movies. If I had to choose among the three you listed based on kid appeal, I'd definitely pick Pop.

mkraemer
04-25-2010, 10:41 PM
TEMPORARY HIJACK - MARY - how long are you staying ? will our trips overlap???

Julie, we're making a pretty quick trip this time--for the final Star Wars Weekend of the year. We fly in on Friday, and we're there for the weekend; dropping our friends who are coming with us off at MCO on Monday, and then going to Universal for one night/day before flying home. I'm hoping to be able to see as much of Harry Potter as I can a few days before it officially opens.

Can't stay longer; we have tickets to see U2 in Oakland, CA on Wednesday! :p
Sorry we won't synch up...