PDA

View Full Version : Large-size person at Disneyland/DCA

Pages : [1] 2

EOR
01-27-2003, 04:11 PM
I'm going to disneyland and dca in February. I am a large sized woman (I wear size 30). Can anyone of similar size give me advice on which rides may be difficult to ride? I exercise regularly so walking, etc. doesn't worry me, I'm just wondering if any of the rides have small cars and/or short seatbelts, that kind of thing. Thank you for any advice you can give.

pinkpail
01-27-2003, 04:54 PM
I am at least your size and have never had any problems at Walt Disney World. I hope this helps you out.

HBTiggerFan
01-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Hi! Never fear, you are not alone. This issue has been talked about before, click here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133&highlight=obese) to read what was discussed before. That thread also includes helpful links.

Off the top of my head I know that Star Tours offers seatbelt extenders.

I hope this is helpful and I know that you will get many replies here.

MouseWife
01-27-2003, 05:51 PM
I understand that some rides actually post a weight limit before you walk in.

Me, I would watch who gets on and off of a ride I am in doubt about.

What ever you find out, go, and have a great time regardless of which rides you can and can't ride. There are a lot of shows and rides that you can enjoy.

HBTiggerFan
01-27-2003, 06:35 PM
I am 99% sure the only ride with any sort of posted weight restriction is the Orange Stinger over in DCA.

Not Afraid
01-27-2003, 06:46 PM
I think so much depends on your actual body shape. I know the Matterhorn and Astro Orbiter can be a tight squeze for me if I don't ride alone. My hips and my husbands legs just don't fit side by side. Screaming may be a problem for a busty woman. Being tall and large is different than being short and large, and that will vary by ride. You just have to try it out, or question the CMs working the attraction.

MammaSilva
01-27-2003, 07:19 PM
ok I don't know why Miss Lisa would be answering a "large" question.. Missy YOU Ain't Large (tall yes ~ large no :)) and you know we love ya!

I wear a slightly smaller size than you do EOR but I'm only 5'2" so it makes me in the short/squat/large range.... at Disneyland I can ride anything alone and have room to spare...and that works fine since my daughter is a tiny thing and it wouldn't be safe for her to ride with me on anything that depends on a lap bar like BTMRR. We fit fine in the doom buggies, I don't ride the tea cups because of yammy issues but I have been on them and fit just fine....over at DCA I'm not a lot of help.. I know you can ride Soaring no problem neither is Grizzly Rapids, I don't know about Screaming... again the yammy issues ... ....Indy is a breeze, those seat belts really are long....Space Mountain is a lap bar and you might be snug but in that ride it isn't a bad thing LOL....

lisap
01-27-2003, 07:24 PM
This is coming from a gal who in the back of her mind is picturing the carousel horse snapping off like a twig when she mounts :eek: :rolleyes: :

You'll be fine. The only thing I would watch is be careful when riding with little children on rides like Big Thunder, --the lap bar only folds down so far with large grown-ups, often leaving the chitlins with a little too much room to slip and slide. However, most of the more mature attractions have individual restraints, and the seat belts are plenty long.

Have a great time and enjoy everything. :)

Not Afraid
01-27-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
ok I don't know why Miss Lisa would be answering a "large" question.. Missy YOU Ain't Large (tall yes ~ large no :)) and you know we love ya!

Was that a Moderator Comment???;) :D

MammaSilva
01-27-2003, 07:34 PM
NA.....Of course that was NOT a moderator comment.. this isn't MY forum :) You are tall, beautiful and have one of the hottest hubbys on MP .... but no way are you in the LARGE catagory sweetie!

MonorailMan
01-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Was that a Moderator Comment???;) :D

May have been a Mod. comment, but I'll back it up to. :D :p

Not Afraid
01-27-2003, 07:44 PM
OK OK OK. :D

Thank you for the nice things you say. (Chris thanks you too;) )

Meanwhile, we derailed this poor person's thread. I appologize!

Back to work on the topic at hand.

MouseWife
01-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Not Afraid, I agree with them that you are svelt and gorgeous. But, you do bring up a great point.

People who are tall might have issues {fitting in a ride} as well as some more busty women{the bars closing down, ouch}.

mystycalchyk
01-27-2003, 08:40 PM
eor i am just a teensy bit smaller thatn you and its something i fret and worry about all the time....the ONLY ride that is in the least bit uncomfortable to me is space mountain. only because it hurts my legs , those bars just beat my legs to death...because i dont pull the bar down obviously as far as someone without a tummy can do.... but i still ride it at least 6 or 7 times, i just try to cushion my legs where the bar hits them with my jacket or something, it certainly doesnt stop me......everything else (including california screamin) is no problem. i was a bit worried about splash mountain because theyve changed the seats a bit, they are definately going to be a single rider per seat situation but fitting was no problem. i dont ride the orange stinger or the astro orbiter (only because my hubby cant do 'circle' rides) but dont fear, you wont be embarrased by having to get out (which is what ive always feared - how embarrassing to have to leave cause you dont fit)
to be honest the things i hate the most are those stupid things you have to go through, the counter thingies...that have the bar and you slip in between and it goes around to count the number of people ....for some reason im having a brain fart and cannot think of the stupid name...turnstiles, i think theyre called. those things i dont like.

DisneyGuy03
01-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Alright, here goes my list, I will also add this to my wbesite:

Tips for tall/large people (Personal experiece from someone who is 6'2" tall and extremely large boned)

We'll start in Adventureland and to save on time, I will only list the attractions that need to be considered:

Indiana Jones
Seat Belt Extensions: None
Leg Room: Extra leg room in rows 2 and 3, as you can place your feet under the row in front of you.

Critter Country:
Splash Mountain
New log design generally allows for enough leg room for all passengers, the front may have slightly more leg room still.

New Orleans Square:
Haunted Mansion
No more than two adults per vehicle.

Frontierland:
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Do not ride sitting next to a small child, unless the loading operator says it is ok, they always know thier attraction the best and know what is and isn't safe, when in doubt ask.

Fantasyland:

Casey Jr.'s Circus Train
In the caged cars there is plenty of roonm for you and your entire party, the other cars, one or two adults per row, max.

Pinoccio, Snow White's Scarry Adventures, Dumbo and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Plan on riding in your own vehicle/row as applicable (two can fit in most cases on all but Dumbo and perhaps there as well, but it's not too comfortable in most cases.

Peter Pan
Plan on two-three adults per vehicle.

Matterhorn
Get your own row, you'll be glad, unless you have a very small child with you, then it's fine for you both to be in the same row. There is extra leg room in the front.

Mickey's Toontown:
Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
Make them give you your own car, no matter how much they insist you can all fit in one car, esp. with the new doors this doesn't work.

Gadget's Go Coaster
Get your own row, you'll be glad you did.

Tommorowland:
Space Mountain
Before sitting down cross your legs, putting one ankle in front of the other, this helps it to not be so painful against the sides of the restraint. A HUGE thanks to the absolutely wonderful CM who suggested this, it made is SO much more enjoyable. I only wish I had caught her name, it was the first time I was ever told that I should do that after riding it many, many times, I finally actually got a lot of air time on the attraction (probably 8-10 seconds worth, compared with maybe 2 seconds before)

Star Tours
Seat belt extensions are available, the last I heard.

DCA:
Soarin' Over California
I beleive seat belt extensions are available, can anyone confirm this?

Grizzly River Run
Simply tell the person asking how many are in your party that you will need two seats, it's much more comfortable this way, although manageable even if you only have one seat.

Mullholland Madness
Again, cross your legs at the ankle, this provides two things: 1. You with mor adequate leg room. 2. A lower center of gravity, the ride shuts down unless I do this or I have one leg one side of the restraint's vertical bar and the other leg on the other. Also on this attraction they have a device for the lap bar that allows a much larger adult with a child to be place and have the lap bar reach to about the same spot bvy putting a round pice of foam on the end.

California Screamin'
As the sign states, the restraints will not fit all passengers, ask before entering the que. Also, you can try crossing your legs here as well, providing for a little more leg room (this tip works in many attractions throughout the resort and actually provides a lot different ride in many cases.

Heilich's Chew Chew Train
Seat Belt Extensions are available, all cars have the same ammount of leg room as far as I can tell.

Flick's Fun Flyers
Seatbelt Extensions are available, all flyers are the same basic design.

Super Star Limo
When operating plan on your own row. Shouldn't ever be a problem with getting it either.

IFlyAway
01-27-2003, 11:27 PM
In regards to question about people of size at Disneyland--I am 6'5 and 380lbs and the only ride I have not been able to experience is the Maliboomer at DCA. The over the sholder restraint just wouldn't latch and the CM said there were no extenders. I've not no problems at all on any attraction at Disneyland.

If anyone can provide or point me in the direction of similar information (people of size/theme parks) regarding Six Flags Magic Mountain I would appreciate it.
Thanks

MouseWife
01-28-2003, 07:54 AM
I haven't been to Magic Mountain in ages, and, the last time I did I only rode the log ride. Hmm, that didn't seem to have any resrictions. I don't actually remember it having a safety belt.

Anywho, a friend of mine whose husband is 6'3" {I think, maybe taller} and of large build went to ride the Joker and his shoulders wouldn't allow the restraint to come down.

My friend, about 5'5 and of large build said she had problems on a lot of rides with the restraint locking.

And, by a lot of rides, I would imagine the rollercoasters.

Again, this isn't my personal experience as I don't like rollercoasters much, yes, that good old yammy issue.

So, I hope someone else can report, too.

EOR
01-28-2003, 09:30 AM
You are all awesome, thanks for the great advice and for the nice way you gave it! :)

DisneyGuy03
01-28-2003, 09:30 AM
On roller coasters with over the shoulder restraints, that you are not hanging, try crossing your legs at the ankles before they make you get off, this may bring you down lower just enough to get it to latch. It does depend on how close it is too and what's causing it not to latch, but it may work.

JPIVERSON
01-28-2003, 11:51 AM
I think it's time for Not Afraid to post a picture (for those of us out of the loop). ;)

MammaSilva
01-28-2003, 12:04 PM
not one of the 'best' pics of our lovely Not Afraid but I'm too lazy to go look for some of the awesome ones that we've been honored to see over the last couple years :)

Not afraid..

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hydrotrippin/vwp?.dir=/Disneyland&.src=ph&.dnm=Evil+Woman.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/hydrotrippin/lst%3f%26.dir=/Disneyland%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Not Afraid
01-28-2003, 06:44 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DisneyGuy03
01-28-2003, 08:16 PM
I have just put the tips for tall and large people on my website, see below for the address.

sydney
01-28-2003, 08:46 PM
:) Just make sure you have lots of fun and enjoy yourself no matter what you do ;)

Bartman72
01-30-2003, 06:40 PM
This is the subject that finally got me to stop lurking and actually register. Great forum, I really love how there's so many well- thought out points of view.

I never appreciated how accomodating Disneyland is to large-sized guests until I went to Knotts one day and casually stepped up to the Ghostrider.

I have rarely been so unpleasantly surprised - I was nowhere close to fitting in the seat. I almost got a laugh out of it. I'm guessing you must have a waist line of no more than 38-40 inches to make it a tight squeeze.

- Brian