PDA

View Full Version : Do you bring your video camera?

MermaidHair
08-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Hey there, do you bring your video camera to the park and, if so, what do you take video of? I could see how it would be fun to get some good character interaction shots but I always feel taken out of the action when I am behind the action. I am considering leaving it at home this time. Any thoughts?

pixar
08-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Hey there, do you bring your video camera to the park and, if so, what do you take video of? I could see how it would be fun to get some good character interaction shots but I always feel taken out of the action when I am behind the action. I am considering leaving it at home this time. Any thoughts?

I sometimes bring my Canon DSLR (which takes great video also) to the parks. The last time I had it with me, I took videos on the rides (just make sure you have a good strap). I've also shot video of my nieces getting autographs from the princesses, before taking a picture of them.

Sesameguy
08-19-2009, 01:55 PM
As long as your video camera is small enough (most newer ones are), then it isn't too difficult to bring it along. I've enjoyed taking some video of the Disneyland buildings and characters besides friends & family. But I generally do not videotape during a ride. That's partly because I don't want to bother others (either cast members or guests), but also because I usually just want to enjoy the ride. If possible, I'll put the camera in one of the "pouches" provided, or just hold it to my chest or side for dear life. As long as you're careful, you should be fine.

Even when I'm not in the picture, I can still enjoy watching the places that I visit. Also, with a little practice you can hold the camera in front of you to get an image of yourself just to prove that you were there. Again, having a small hand-held camera makes this possible. You can also ask someone to give you a hand for a moment.

And please don't video on Splash Mountain unless you've placed your camera in a clear plastic bag. :)

oregontraveler
08-19-2009, 02:04 PM
I've shot tons of video at DL and WDW. Take it on rides like IASW & Storybookland. Fantasmic - fireworks, parades, characters, live music: Dapper Dans & The Pearly Band. Shot Disney Gallery before it closed.

The thing to remember is don't shoot aimlessly because once you get home and watch it, you could get dizzy. If I start tight on the castle and zoom out, make sure you finish the shot before moving onto to something else.

If you have been to DL plenty of times, then why not do something different
and bring the camera along, shoot every now & then. Like you said, you'll have a great document of your trip, but while you're there, shooting constantly does take you out of the loop.

adikted2disney
08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
I brought ours twice and each time I've barely used it. I'd rather enjoy the rides rather than videotape. I have to agree with the dizziness comment too. After I got home and watched it, it was hard to watch! Walking around with the camera doesn't exactly give you a steady hand. I prefer taking pictures instead. Although it did come in handy the time we got stuck on Space Mountain at the top of the ride and all the lights came on. I secretly videotaped our daring 15 minute rescue :p

AnotherJenny
08-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Went through the Imagination Movers jumpsuit search last year. They are available on their site for $100, and sell out as fast as they list them. (Though I noticed today they seem to be made-to-order now.)

I don't believe they have been licensed for "lower end" Halloween versions. But I have heard of people commissioning them on Etsy.

When the kid mentions the jumpsuit, we quick change the subject to Spiderman :D

mechurchlady
08-19-2009, 07:33 PM
I have video from 1998 at WDW that I cannot watch and my camera got slammed accidently on a ferry from MK. I have seen people so into their shots that they do not see anything and miss the whole picture. Also remember that you can anything not strapped down and I have heard stories about the numerous cameras and cell phones smashed when they fly from rides.

AnotherJenny
08-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Hmm, I edited that post earlier but it didn't change :eyeroll:

Anyway, but I said in response to this thread, was...

You said "this time" indicating you've been before and already have video. Why not try it without. Especially if you feel out of the action.

Bytebear
08-19-2009, 08:38 PM
I think the last time I took a video camera was for a preview day at DCA (yes it was that long ago). I should find that tape. I bet it would be interesting to see what it has on it. I remember getting yelled at on the orange stinger for swaying too much.

pistolpete
08-20-2009, 08:55 AM
I took my video camera during our last trip and found that I didn't end up shooting much video, however with that being said, I am planning on taking our new smaller version next month. :D

For those that do bring their video cameras, what is some of the best footage that you've gotten? We'll be traveling with small kids, so I know that meet the characters will be great, but what else? Waiting in lines? Walking around park? I'm trying to think of other shots that would be fun to watch again, especially as the kids get older.:cool:

pixar
08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
I took my video camera during our last trip and found that I didn't end up shooting much video, however with that being said, I am planning on taking our new smaller version next month. :D

For those that do bring their video cameras, what is some of the best footage that you've gotten? We'll be traveling with small kids, so I know that meet the characters will be great, but what else? Waiting in lines? Walking around park? I'm trying to think of other shots that would be fun to watch again, especially as the kids get older.:cool:

I had fun recording Grizzly River Run. I had the camera pointed at my cousin who sat across from me on the raft. I still enjoyed the ride because I wasn't looking through the viewfinder or at the LCD display. I held it with one hand about chest high inside my jacket (this was in February) to protect it from getting too wet.

Tinkermommy
08-20-2009, 09:34 AM
For those that do bring their video cameras, what is some of the best footage that you've gotten?

This is going to sound sort of dumb...but the Matterhorn. I took our video camera right after we bought it, and decided to record the Matterhorn. When we got off the ride, I discovered the camera had turned off. I thought I'd already broken it.

Turned out the camera has a feature that makes it automatically shut off if you drop it. The Matterhorn ride was SO bumpy that the camera thought it was being beat up and turned itself off mid-ride.

For some reason, my family and I find that hilariously funny, making it one of our favorite Disneyland videos.

Hannahbelle
08-20-2009, 09:45 AM
For those that do bring their video cameras, what is some of the best footage that you've gotten?

Well the cameras are a whole lot "fancier" and more advanced than 10 years ago. My little canon power shot takes video (But not the best quality) but its still nice to have the option. (We have a large memory card and another large back up memory card so Im not afraid to shoot video and fill up my card.)
So, ten years ago my daughter (2.5 yo at the time) was talking to Ariel and asked her why she wasn't wearing a shirt??? Oh man! It was so adorable. Of course I had the snap shot camera out and not the video camera! So, you never know when you might get something good on video; so be prepared!

DaDuckFan1955
08-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Yup!

So I can record things like this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrHEPiiLeqI