PDA

View Full Version : Perfect number of days at DLR?

Fionamax
08-18-2009, 11:58 AM
So what is the right number of days to stay at DLR? I am angling for a six night stay (6 day park hopper). My wife insists that that is too much and only wants to do a four day. The money is not really the issue here. Itís more the noise and crowds for six days that have her down.

I offered to send her to the spa at the DGC for an afternoon but so far she is not biting.

Larry

kfreak
08-18-2009, 12:32 PM
So what is the right number of days to stay at DLR? I am angling for a six night stay (6 day park hopper). My wife insists that that is too much and only wants to do a four day. The money is not really the issue here. Itís more the noise and crowds for six days that have her down.

I offered to send her to the spa at the DGC for an afternoon but so far she is not biting.

Larry

It would really depend on when you are going to be there. If you will be there once school is back in session, and not during a holiday time period then the crowds wont be so bad. I have been there even on a weekend during an off time and had to noisy crowds to deal with.

MammaSilva
08-18-2009, 01:00 PM
How about splitting the difference and doing 5 days? Personally 4-6 work great for my needs, depending on the time of year, busier time, more time there because I refuse doing commando visits anymore. We like to go enjoy the park, go enjoy the room/pool/hot tub...wander the grounds (if you're not staying on property you can still wander the grounds!) Have 'slower' meals...not necessarily sit down meals, just being able to enjoy a meal without feeling rushed because we have to go do the next thing. Seeing the shows and street entertainment suck up time and it's time well spent in my opinion.

AlbertaMinnie
08-18-2009, 01:18 PM
That really depends on what type of a trip you have in mind, what you expect to get done, how many visits you have made to the park in the past and how many people in your group.

We have done the 2-day trips....opening to closing with no rests inbetween and cramming every show, every ride, every everything into those two days.

Then this summer....we just returned from a 10 day, 9 night stay at GCH and had the absolute most relaxing most enjoyable Disney experience ever! (even though the parks were busier than ever!) Having more time allowed us the luxury of collecting fastpasses in the morning and catching a few rides while the lines were 20 mins or less, and then returning to the hotel to either sit by the pool and enjoy a mojito while the kids swam, or sipping Lynchburg Lemonade on our balcony watching the hustle bustle of DTD below us. The evenings were spent using our fastpasses and doing anything that just seemed right at that time. We made no meal reservations and just did everything without a schedule or a time limit. It was great!

If I had a choice I would choose the greater number of days and just relax and go with the flow. Have fun!

Bytebear
08-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I think you can get your fill in 4 days. I agree that it depends on what kind of vacation you want. Do you want to just do Disney and only Disney, or do you want to do other SoCal attractions, like the beach, Hollywood, San Diego (which can add a solid week to any vacation). So, you may want to spend the days and split them up amongst other activities, or you may want to do Disney the whole time.

disneylandgirl
08-18-2009, 01:52 PM
How many days for a perfect Disneyland trip??? Every day!!! LOL (That's just my opinion) :p

codewoman
08-18-2009, 02:01 PM
We recently did six and we didn't build in enough downtime. By the end of the visit we were just enduring the vacation. If you do six, by all means go back to your room for a rest mid-day, do an occasional half day and generally give yourself time to recoup. Because you can only do so many days without getting worn out.

TikiTiki
08-18-2009, 02:29 PM
As stated before, it really depends on how you like to visit the DLR. Are you "commando" like MammaSilva mentioned? Or "relax and go with the flow" like AlbertaMinnie mentioned?

Our standard for our family holiday trip is 4 night / 5 days.

You can really see most of the parks in that time frame, I think. But downtime is really key.

We get there as early as we can on day 1, leave bags with bellman and head to park. At some point we check in and with that comes our downtime for an hour or two, have some dinner, then back to the parks. Each day after that we work in a nap/rest/feet up/etc. Makes the evenings much more pleasant. If you do schedule something in particular ( dinner at a special restaurant, Fantasmic! or other event) make sure to plan your days around those to allow for that precious relaxation.

Always a good thing to enjoy the "R" part of the DLR, too ;)

Fionamax
08-18-2009, 05:32 PM
We only go once every few years. We always go in early December and take the kids out of school. The resort is decorated for Christmas but we avoid the big Christmas week crowds. We always stay on property. The last two times we stayed at the DGC. It's really magical at Christmas time. This is also why we don't go very often.

Anyway, the last time we went it was for four days and hopped from park to park on two of them. We really tried to get more attractions in than we have before. It just seemed like four days was not enough. Five might be OK but I would much rather do six in a very unhurried manner.

What I am really looking for here is validation of my point of view:p

Thanks,
Larry

MammaSilva
08-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Seriously, six days would be awesome but if you can't convince her for six, at least squeeze 5 out of the trip LOL.

We just got back from a 4 day trip and it just wasn't long enough and that was even with having a single day earlier on the trip. Different groups and so we got to do a lot of things on the single day that we just didn't do with the second group and we still didn't hit all our favorites...I missed the light parade which was my one 'want' due to timing and construction walls and other peoples wish lists. I'm not 'bitter' but If we had had the 6th day I'd have seen it, I'm just saying.

Rockchalker
08-18-2009, 05:40 PM
IMHO and based on experience, with kids involved, the more days the better. I might be able to go all day without complaint, but when the kids crash, break out the cheese to go with that whine!

The 7 year old DD and I have been going 2-3 times a year since she was 5. She goes to school year around, so a trip to DL fits in well. The first couple of times for 3 nights, then 4 and now 5 this September. The DH and the nearly 3 year old DS will go for 5 nights in December. My DH would prefer to stay on property, but I am okay staying at a decent place on Harbor and it helps with the economics and rational of multiple trips a year.

Malcon10t
08-18-2009, 06:27 PM
We do 12 days at Christmas. We get a lot of people going "12????" But, we do it at a very relaxed pace. I hate Commando style. It isn't fun. We take afternoons off, we sleep in, the kids enjoy the pool/spa, and we take time to people watch.

I would vote for 6, even if one or 2 are just for dinner somewhere in the park or to catch fireworks. 6 days does not have to mean 6 days open to close.

kkmickey
08-18-2009, 06:31 PM
I think it depends on
1) where you're from and how long it takes you to get there
2) who you're traveling with and their ages
3) what you like to do at DLR - are you go, go, go or more laid back?
4) do you stay at the resort, or do would you want to see other things in the LA/SoCal area? or maybe a trip to San Diego?

Sometimes it's nice to spend a few days at DLR, take a day or two to do other things (and hopefully rest your feet) and then back to Disney for a few days.

When we go on vacation, we always ask each member - What would make this vacation a 10 for you? For one it might be going to the park from open to close; for another it might be spending a leisurely afternoon shopping for souvenirs; for another it might be taking a day at the beach to surf; for another it may be spending an afternoon laying by the pool . . . And then we try and incorporate each person's '10'.

Tan Da Man
08-18-2009, 06:44 PM
I pretty much always go 3 days.
Every day is open to close, non stop. Often we will skip meals until after the park closes. Its usually all the amount of time I can afford to get out there so I have to jam as much Disney as I can in that amount of time.

A few years ago we went for 2 days, and it was just not enough time. Id say 3 days is a minimum, some day Id like to go longer and take it a lil easier.

Malcon10t
08-18-2009, 06:51 PM
This trip we just returned from, we did 4 days in the park. Since we are APs, we take our time and we know what we don't get done, we will do it next time. We did 4 days, very casual, and since we met with friends that we don't see often, we had some long meals. It really depends on how you do Disneyland.

V.I.N.CENT.
08-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Go to Knotts Berry Farm for a 1/2 day and have a chicken dinner :) Break it up a bit!

sierranevada
08-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Maybe she is hesitant because she thinks you will be at the park open to close for 6 days. Perhaps if you explain that 6 days gives you more time away from the crowds to relax and enjoy the "R" in DLR (as TikiTiki said), she might understand that it would be more relaxing than trying to cram everything in with 4 days. Offer the spa treatment again (Mandara Spa is great, btw!). You also have the movie theaters in DTD. When we stay 6 days, we usually take one entire day off and enjoy the hotel and go to a movie. You can also go to the Anaheim GardenWalk, enjoy a nice romantic meal. Is she a foodie? Perhaps dinner at Napa Rose. It is always nicer to see the parks at a more leisurely pace - less stress and more enjoyment! Good luck!

beanie0505
08-19-2009, 07:25 AM
We anticipate getting to Disneyland around 2:00 on a Tuesday afternoon. We're staying on site at the DLH so we're thinking that day we will just explore the hotels, go swimming and check out Downtown Disney. Then we will have the next 5 days for the parks. We have a 4 yr old daughter so we are planning on coming back to the hotel every day after lunch for a nap and maybe swimming. We have 3 character meals scheduled (2 dinners and a breakfast), one PS for lunch at the Blue Bayou, one PS for lunch at the Rainforest Cafe, and reservations for the Bippidi Boppidi Boutique. I'm hoping that we will have enough time to do everything and still have the vacation be semi-relaxed!! I feel like we are trying to cram a lot in, but we have never been as a family, and we probably won't be back for a few years at least! I've come to terms with the fact that we might not see everything, but I also think we might be OK?? I guess it's hard for us to really know because my husband and I have only been 1 day each years and years ago and we were just focused on the big rides. I went to DCA with my sister right after it opened for 1 day and that seemed like enough, but we also didn't really go and see any of the attractions geared towards younger kids.

wvnative
08-19-2009, 07:41 AM
We tend to do the commando thing. I travel with teenagers. lol

We've done one 5 day trip and it was just too much by the last day even though all we really did that day was the last of our shopping and a ride or two. We find 3 or 4 to be perfect.

However, if you have the option to take things at a slower pace I think 6 days is doable. Taking time to relax a bit and not be rushed might be just what the Dr. ordered.

pistolpete
08-20-2009, 07:58 AM
We're going in mid-September for 6 days at the park, with two travel days on the front and back of the trip. I agree with most of the other posters that it depends on how you like to handle the parks. If you are going rope drop till close everyday, then you can get just about everything done in 3-4 days. We plan on working in rest time and swimming at the hotel (staying at GCH) so 6 days of the parks is going to be perfect for us.:)

sjhanksaz
08-20-2009, 11:26 AM
For us 3 days works great, sometimes we do 4. We are the type that hit the park at opening and leave at closing. Usually we go in the off season so the hours are from like 10 - 8 so leaving the park doesn't really work out. The good thing though is we can usually hit everything we want to, sometimes twice. We are some of those bad parents who pull thier kids our of school to go.

mechurchlady
08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
For me if I had money, a better scooter and a mom sitter then I would say 3 or 4 days for me to see everything. Mom and I are going the 20 to 23 and will have the 20 and 22nd to see everything as that is her limits. It depends on what you want to see and do especially in some seasons when shows are dark part of the time. The only day to see Aladdin, fireworks and Fantasmic is on Sunday that we are going.

daveywest
08-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Just remember, no matter how long the visit is, you will wish it was longer as you leave.