PDA

View Full Version : Changes coming to Big Thunder Ranch Celebration Roundup & Barbecue

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

AVP
07-16-2009, 01:06 PM
It looks like Woody, Jessie and Bullseye will be hittin' the dusty trail after Wednesday of next week, and the Big Thunder Ranch Celebration Roundup & Barbecue will no longer be a Character Dining venue when it opens Thursday. (Dates may change slightly, but that's the current schedule)

Jessie and Woody will return to meet and greet appearances in Frontierland, where they will be more accessible to park visitors. The Barbecue will no longer offer photo packages, though the photo backdrop will likely remain in place for those who want to snap their own pictures, and PhotoPass staff may be on hand during busy days.

The restaurant will still offer live entertainment from Miss Chris, Sasparilla Sam and Tex Tumbleweed throughout the day.

The only unknown is price. Character meals command a higher price, so Disney is likely to drop the price of the barbecue once the characters depart, but the new pricing is not finalized.

This change is sure to gratify some who were convinced the restaurant was just too expensive, and disappoint others who really enjoyed the character interaction. I've been reassured that Jessie and Woody will be there to help MousePlanet celebrate our 9th anniversary at our lunch this Saturday.

AVP

houseofmouse
07-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't think it will have the same feel without the characters. I loved Jesse, she was awesome with our son for his birthday, we had a blast! Woody tried to play piano, which was funny. The stage show with the characters is cheesy and would not be missed by me at least.:p

As far as price, maybe they have had too many complaints about it and can justify a decrease (if there is one) by taking away some of the entertainment. Our dinner was $144.41 with tax and tip for 5 of us and was worth it for my son's 13th birthday.:)

Keep us posted.

fairestoneofall
07-16-2009, 01:50 PM
VERY sad news for me. I've been a few times and LOVED it....for the food, of course....but my boys LOVED the entertainment. Doubt we'll go back. How do you explain to a two and three year old that are used to seeing Woody, Jesse and Bullseye that they are no longer there....LAME.

DizneyMommy
07-16-2009, 03:11 PM
oh DRAT! My 4 yr old has already decided that's where her (November) birthday will be... that's gonna be a problem

olegc
07-16-2009, 03:58 PM
well it seems obvious that the draw to the BBQ was not as significant as management wanted. although how anyone would think you'd have massive crowds with minimal signage and park direction is beyond me. It's now back to Big Thunder Barbecue...

I wonder, though, if the price will drop that much. Since they provide all you can eat family style. If they want back to a "plate" menu then the prices will REALLY drop and I can't see that happening in the near future (in the past it seems they've held on to high prices as long as possible).

Let's just hope the cuts in the front of the house don't continue to the back of the house (in quality that is).

Maus
07-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I am soooo disappointed. That's where we planned to celebrate Cooper's second birthday and my BFF's birthday, both in September. Cooper loves Jessie and I really hoped he would actually let her get close this time! I like the food, but the characters are what kept us coming back.

When I was waiting for friends at the petting zoo on Saturday around 2 p.m. I was observing the action at the barbecue. There wasn't any. No characters, no music, nothing. After about 10 minutes we walked by the restaurant and I asked why there was no entertainment. "Oh, they are only on a 5-10 minute break!" Uh, right. I waited another five minutes and still nothing. Quite a different atmosphere from when I dined there several times. And unfotunately, not many diners either.

ComfyCody
07-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Ugh! We have already scheduled our priority seating on the 30th for our son's birthday! Back to the planning board!:(

DisneyFunFamily4
07-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Ugh! We have already scheduled our priority seating on the 30th for our son's birthday! Back to the planning board!:(

us too, we were going in August for DD's B-day, now we have to re plan!! ug this stinks!!!

emmajean
07-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Is there somewhere to read about this?

Thank you so much for posting. My son is so looking forward to his "Woody birthday party" on the 28th. Now it is up to Mom to find a way to not let him share in my disappointment.

emmajean
07-17-2009, 07:46 PM
I contacted Disney Dining. This is the info I received. Rounded figures below:

The lunch will be $20 and dinner will be $25 for adults. $10 for children.
The drinks and dessert will no longer be included. The lunch menu will not include corn. I thought she said the Sounvenir sipper would be included for children.

The current price is $36 for adults and $16 for children. Tuesday is the last day that the Roundup Gang will be there.

Boo's Mommy
07-17-2009, 08:41 PM
So I wonder that also must mean no seconds...
Bummer, we were soooo planning to have this for our August trip!

foolishmortal
07-17-2009, 10:42 PM
wow, way to kill off another great place. We were soo looking forward to going there on our Nov. trip.

Now I'm bummed out.

mowsluver
07-18-2009, 10:59 AM
So, this will become a 'regular' food service? It will no longer be 'all you can eat'?
The price still seems a bit high for that.....

emmajean
07-18-2009, 01:12 PM
I was under the impression that it would still be family style dining.

ryanvalle
07-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Seems like they should've improved the marketing of the area rather than taking down its value a notch.

Also, it seems to be a poorly located area as its practically the only attraction in that secluded area of Disneyland.

fairestoneofall
07-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Seems like they should've improved the marketing of the area rather than taking down its value a notch.

Also, it seems to be a poorly located area as its practically the only attraction in that secluded area of Disneyland.

I agree on the marketing aspect. However, I think it's a great location. It's nice and quiet back there and it's a really nice getaway from the activity of the park for a couple of hours.

Burnt Toast
07-19-2009, 08:12 AM

100% fully agree... it wasn't the price, the value was there for that location even at the current price point, it was the marketing and lack of advertisement.

It's a shame that the dessert (which was EXCELLENT and very clever) will no longer be included and that it might not even be all-you-care-to-eat anymore.

janell
07-19-2009, 09:59 AM
It will be interesting to see what the price ends up being. With out the characters, dessert no longer included and maybe not all you can eat?

If they wanted to cut some cost. Why not offer a non character meals for lunch and afternoon for those who want to enjoy this area with a smaller price tag. Then offer characters at night for the reg price.

This is a great place, I hope we don't loose it.

houseofmouse
07-19-2009, 01:18 PM
I contacted Disney Dining. This is the info I received. Rounded figures below:

The lunch will be $20 and dinner will be $25 for adults. $10 for children.
The drinks and dessert will no longer be included. The lunch menu will not include corn. I thought she said the Sounvenir sipper would be included for children.

The current price is $36 for adults and $16 for children. Tuesday is the last day that the Roundup Gang will be there.

The price to me seems like it might even out. That $36.00 included tax and tip. Does the 20 and 25 include tax and tip? I doubt it. So by the time you include a drink you are looking at 28.00 for dinner anyway, not including tax and tip. You might save money if they let you chose the tip but the pricing doesn't seem that different if you have drink and the yummy cupcakes. The kids meal is 18.99 for kids not 16.00. Lunch may be the better bargain.
We enjoyed it and this seems to be the way for them to make this a permanent food location even after the year is out. I would hope it would still be all you can eat. Even though what I ate, I did not need seconds.

DizneyMommy
07-19-2009, 02:53 PM
The price to me seems like it might even out. That $36.00 included tax and tip. Does the 20 and 25 include tax and tip? I doubt it. So by the time you include a drink you are looking at 28.00 for dinner anyway, not including tax and tip. You might save money if they let you chose the tip but the pricing doesn't seem that different if you have drink and the yummy cupcakes. The kids meal is 18.99 for kids not 16.00. Lunch may be the better bargain.
We enjoyed it and this seems to be the way for them to make this a permanent food location even after the year is out. I would hope it would still be all you can eat. Even though what I ate, I did not need seconds.

Doesn't that 18.99 kids price include tax and tip though? I'm curious to see how they do this if no drinks are included, will they include them with the kids meals as they do everywhere else? It is odd to me to have a flat rate meal with no drinks included though - I think that would be the only set price menu in the resort that made you buy drinks separate.

MammaSilva
07-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I've been giving the new price point and lack of including the cupcakes some thought, and while I'm sure that there are a multitude of reasons for doing this, the cupcake issue solves a big big problem for them...if the cupcakes are extra/add on then they don't have to come up with alternatives for those people who for whatever reason can't have the cupcakes. Now the option is buy a cupcake or just skip the sweets. I know when we were there in the spring getting fruit for Missy was not nearly as easy as it was presented to be earlier in the season. We did get the fruit but it was really just some berries they used for garnish on the cupcakes scooped into a bowl. Not including drinks doesn't make sense to me....next we're going to hear that it's gone to a plated meal and for 20 bucks I'll skip it.

BlkPearlCptn
07-19-2009, 05:27 PM
For a little over $20.00 I BBQ'd a rack of ribs and ears of corn, added a salad, made cornbread (Marie Calander's mix), apple pie and put on Toy Story 2. Fed 3 people and had lots left over. Presto..my own little Celebration BBQ for a whole lot less (and better ribs if I do say so myself!) LOL

Edit to add: Next time I'll do the cupcakes instead.

Malcon10t
07-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Mamma, this weekend when we were there for the BBQ, we were offered the cupcakes or a skewer of fruit (they said it was melons and strawberries.) I didn't see anyone get one, cause we were all over the cuppies, but perhaps cstephens or adriennek saw someones.

adriennek
07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Mamma, this weekend when we were there for the BBQ, we were offered the cupcakes or a skewer of fruit (they said it was melons and strawberries.) I didn't see anyone get one, cause we were all over the cuppies, but perhaps cstephens or adriennek saw someones.

Two people at our table had the fruit but I didn't look very carefully at it. They were big chunks of fruit and they were on skewers but the skewers looked sort of short, although there were about 3 of them.

Adrienne

janell
07-19-2009, 08:21 PM
$20.00 for adults at the BBQ. $27 or 29 for adults for Storytellers buffet. Stroytellers is all you can eat, includes a drink and has yummy deserts, oh and salads and fruits.

Im getting out of the busy parks have a nice meal at Storytellers for a few bucks more. I realize groups with children and other adults, the extra cost might not be worth it to them and I agree. But for me its value and Im not sure the BBQ still has it, at least not for us.