PDA

View Full Version : Is paying $10 for a character picture worth it

hairboy079
01-10-2003, 05:14 PM
I was reading thru Birnbaums (my Disney bible) and saw the thing saying you can have a guy from the parks take a picture of you with a certain character. I saw a friend of mine's mid-ride pictures, and was wondering if the pictures had anything like that, or were just normal pictures and not worth the money?

EandCDad
01-10-2003, 05:26 PM
The pictures are different than the mid-ride pictures in that they usually involve you standing with a character or in front of the castle and having your picture taken by a professional photographer who roam the front of the castle or are at various character meeting areas. There is no obligation to buy the pictures they take, they give you a slip to take to somewhere on Main Street (anyone?) and view the pictures two hours later and you can decide then if you want to buy.

The pictures come out very nice but most people can take pictures with their own personal cameras that are as good. However, it doesn't hurt to go look at them and see if it is worth $10 to you. It usually isn't to us, but we have bought one or two of them over the years.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
There is no obligation to buy the pictures they take, they give you a slip to take to somewhere on Main Street (anyone?) and view the pictures two hours later and you can decide then if you want to buy.FYI, you go to the photo shop on the end of main street to look at your pictures.

ChipmunkStar
01-10-2003, 06:30 PM
The pictures taken by the photographers can be viewed any time after two hours of being taken. You don't have to see the pictures, but if you do choose to, and don't like the picture or the price, you don't have to buy them.

On a few of the character photos (I think it's just on Pooh and Mickey, maybe Ariel's. . . Not too sure though) they have the character's autograph placed digitally onto the photo. (Kinda sad telling someone we really aren't supposed take a pic of them and Eeyore or Tigger on our camera, because Pooh signs ALL of them. . .).

MammaSilva
01-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Actually, I've never been told we can't take pictures with my camera, I've even had the CM use my camera to take shots of us with the characters.....both in Mickeys house, Minnies and at the thoughtful spot or at Ariels grotto .. now renamed, the only one we've gotten with the characters autograph was minnie and I just bought one of Brandy with tigger and one with Mickey a few weeks ago.. however whom ever told you $10 hasn't been in a LONG time....the cheapest is $12.95 for a 5x7 and $16.95 for the 8x10 with a package deal for both that is a bit cheaper....the ride photos vary in price with California Screaming being the most expensive, followed by Space Mountain then Splash Mountain....at this time those are the only rides that have pictures....I don't know if the new ToT will offer pics, but I understand the one in Florida does so it stands to reason that ours will as well...

EandCDad
01-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
FYI, you go to the photo shop on the end of main street to look at your pictures.

Thanks CP. I do remember that this can get quite a line near the end of the day as many people go to look at a whole day's worth of pictures at one time. Better to go earlier in the day rather than right before closing.

MammaSilva
01-10-2003, 07:08 PM
a couple other little known facts about those pics... first off you can use your AP discount on the total purchase so if you got pics with pooh, mickey, minnie, ariel and one in front of the floral mickey or the castle all in one day (we did actually) and you wait til they are all in before going and looking and deciding you can combine pictures to get the package prices...here is a little known trick as well....yes your pics are available in about 2 hours....and EandCdad is 100 percent right the later in the evening the LONGER the line, BUT if you KNOW you are coming back the next day (this is for those of us that come for 3/4 days in a row) then just save your slips and stop on your way IN to the park the next morning, they actually save the pictures for 24 hours.....there is almost NO wait time first thing in the mornings and you're fresh and better equiped to be ruthless in saying NO to that but this is sooo cute sales pitch :)

hairboy079
01-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Thanks. It is amazing how much they have raised the picture prices. I have the Birnbaum's 2001 edition for DL and it says only $10 for a 5x7! Amazing how they have raised it in only a couple of years!

kranders
01-12-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by mammasilva
Actually, I've never been told we can't take pictures with my camera, I've even had the CM use my camera to take shots of us with the characters.....both in Mickeys house, Minnies and at the thoughtful spot or at Ariels grotto The CM at Pooh's photo place over by Splash Mountain took our picture with our own camera, also. So they have no problem with you using your own camera.:)

DisneyGuy03
01-12-2003, 11:56 AM
As far as using your own camera, they can not stop you, except in very special cases, here is a partial list of when they can stop you:
They are filming for a comercial and it may intefere with their equipement.

There are copyright issues at work, such as the film in DCA with Whoppi Goldberg, it's tough to be a bug and Muppet Vission 3-D are under the same rules, as it's tough to be a bug has issues because it's Pixar in addition to Disney and muppets, because it's Jim Henson. Also, Who Wants to Be a Millonare, Play It! is the same type of a deal, it used to be ABC, now it's CBS, but at any rate someone else also holds a copyright. Please be aware that there is a lot that you can take pictures of that other people hold copyright to as well, such as the meet and greet with characters from A Bugs Life, this is done by Disney making special arrangments with those that hold the copyrights.

They can; however, ask that there is no flash photography, this is generally done for safety issues (The show at the Hyperion being an example) or if it will ruin some effects.

I hope this helps to clear up any misunderstandings on where you can and can not take pictures with your own camera, you can take pictures with your own camera at any of the meet and greets, if they didn't do that, can you imagine the disaster it would be?

jslivinski
02-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by ChipmunkStar
(Kinda sad telling someone we really aren't supposed take a pic of them and Eeyore or Tigger on our camera, because Pooh signs ALL of them. . .). I took this to mean that the CM can't take pictures with the park camera (ie the ones that will be sold at the camera shop) because when they are developed Poohs signature is added to the picture. In otherwords a picture of Tigger with Pooh's signature wouldn't be kosher. Taking pictures with your own camera is fine.

MammaSilva
02-04-2003, 03:36 PM
well they have discontinued the character signatures or else it isn't automatic because I did have a CM take a picture of Brandy with Tigger Sans Pooh this last trip over New Years and it didn't have Pooh's autograph on it, we also bought Mickey pics and they didn't have an autograph. The only one I've purchased that had an autograph was Minnies and that was in June of 2002....

ChipmunkStar
02-04-2003, 05:53 PM
I believe they are currently trying to switch from digital cameras BACK to 35mm.

I'm not quite sure if those cameras have made it to the meet and greets yet, but who knows.

In any case, yes, you may ALWAYS take pictures with your own camera, and also film (But please not with the light, those things really hurt your eyes!!!!) at the character meet and greets. Location or otherwise. :)