PDA

View Full Version : Ways to beat the heat please

Pages : [1] 2

SillyOldBear
05-17-2009, 08:15 PM
I am from Oregon and really have no idea how HOT June will be in Orlando. Other than ducking into air conditioned areas and finding shade whenever possible, does anyone have any tips as to how to beat the heat? We have purchased a little misting fan and we know to drink a lot of fluids, but any other tips on how to stay cool?

petesimac
05-17-2009, 08:35 PM
There are these things that you can soak in cold water and then drape around your neck (they don't get you wet though) and it keeps you cool; they also have baseball caps with the same material in the hat band. I've never used them myself, but I hear that they work really well.

Other than that, just use that fan till it breaks, drink plenty of fluids, hit the AC as often as possible, and go slooooooow. The heat can be dangerous, so take care. Know when you've had enough sun and get out of it! Also, of course, use plenty of sunscreen and wear a hat.

We'll be suffering along with you, going July 1-11th, but I can't wait!!!

Samrain
05-18-2009, 08:22 AM
It's not the heat that usually gets us, but the humidity. It literally feels like you've walked into a wall when you go outside (think sauna/steam room - it's hot, but not unbearably so - but the weight of the water in the air makes it feel hotter than it is).

It's usually a good idea to go to the parks in the mornings, leave around lunchtime, and come back late afternoon/evening. Spend the afternoons at the pool, the water parks, or in the hotel napping. This way you're not out walking in the heat/sun during the hottest part of the day.

Before you go, take into consideration the clothes you plan to wear to the parks and what they are made out of. Certain materials are better on hot days because they "breathe" when you're sweating and keep you cooler/ventilate better.

The ride queues tend to be the hottest areas (those fans just don't do anything most of the time except push hot air around!) so I recommend taking advantage of fastpasses to minimize your time in the queues and spacing out the "outdoor" rides/events between air conditioned events. Do a few outdoor events, then head to one in the ac to refresh yourselves!

DisneyDaisie
05-18-2009, 09:11 AM
This is what we do. We bring washcloths (a different color for each person) and quart size freezer baggies from home. In the morning before leaving for the park, soak with cold water (we leave them in the melting ice bucket overnight) wrin gout some but not all of the water. Put a cloth in each baggie with a handful of ice cubes (not the melted ones!). We carry them in an insulated lunch box cooler. They are SOOO refreshing, especially on the neck, chest, face, inside of elbows and back of knees. I can't tell you how many people have seen us with ours and say they're going to do it the next day! Oh, and the battery operated misting fans are great too, but get one at Wal-Mart before you go, they're $8 as opposed to more that twice that in the parks!

disnut8
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
This is what we do. We bring washcloths (a different color for each person) and quart size freezer baggies from home. In the morning before leaving for the park, soak with cold water (we leave them in the melting ice bucket overnight) wrin gout some but not all of the water. Put a cloth in each baggie with a handful of ice cubes (not the melted ones!). We carry them in an insulated lunch box cooler. They are SOOO refreshing, especially on the neck, chest, face, inside of elbows and back of knees. I can't tell you how many people have seen us with ours and say they're going to do it the next day! Oh, and the battery operated misting fans are great too, but get one at Wal-Mart before you go, they're $8 as opposed to more that twice that in the parks!

I do the washcloths too but I just take one and use the water from the sinks in the bathrooms. Even if the cloth is not icy cold, it's still very refreshing. I once had a woman offer me $10 for my cloth (and yes, she was serious - she had two very uncomfortable girls with her who really needed some relief).

One thing my husband does because he sweats so much is takes a second (sometimes a third too) T-shirt in a zipper bag. Once he sweats through the first one, he changes shirts. That makes a lot of difference with him.

jengold29
05-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Along with the already mentioned suggestions, I'd suggest you try clothing-- at least a shirt made of the wicking anti-sweat material.

My DH swore by them and I doubted him until I got one of my own, they really do make you feel cooler.

You can get them everywhere.

Drince88
05-18-2009, 02:15 PM
You can get them everywhere.
I like this stuff too - but primarily I've been wearing them for exercising (but then I try not to visit the parks when it's super hot out). In fact, I just bought another one at Target this weekend!

But I did order one from an online catalog and returned it for 3 reasons - reason number 1 and 2 made me 'not feel guity' about number 3 - it was too big and there was a stain on it - but the material was really quite heavy. It was a very pretty PINK color - but I was really concerned about how heavy it was. I just wasn't convinced that it wouldn't add more to my sweating than it'd help 'solve'!

Also, on the washrag front- since you aren't using it to drink, you could probably get a few cubes to wrap in your washcloth from the ODVs that sell bottled drinks that are 'on ice'. This ice is NOT good for coolign down water you'd drink, though. It is NOT kept sanitary by any stretch of any imagination.

danyoung
05-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Great suggestions above. When my brother & I visited WDW in the summer many years ago, we took a clean hand towel from the room each day, keeping it slung over one shoulder. Sure was nice to be able to mop up sweat as needed. We had many people see this and say they were going to try it!

momof three
05-20-2009, 12:37 PM
I swear by board shorts in the summer. They are light weight, cool and comfortable. I use to have to buy mine and my daughters at a surf shop but now target sells they. These are great for water rides and Fl afternoon rain showers because they dry quickly. We also avoid denim and dark colors of clothing in the summertime.

Every member of my family has the water tennis type shoes that Lands End sells. They are like wearing a sneaker but they have little air holes in them. They also have a nice solid bottom which is important because believe it or not the pavement can get so hot in the summer that you can feel the heat through your shoes if you don't have a decent sole. No matter how wet these shoes get they dry pretty darn quick, you don't have to wear socks with them and the best part is even if your feet sweat the shoes won't smell.Even my hubbys feet don't smell these shoes up. Now that is a miracle. Oh how I hate the smell of wet sneakers in a hotel room. Don't even get me started on the feeling of wet socks on my feet.

Mily

TinaMouse
05-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Put paper towels (yes, something more to pack) in the wet shoes. Newspaper works well too. Most of the moisture will be wicked away by morning. It worked VERY well for us.

I have a pair of those Lands End shoes too. They rub on my feet funny, though, and I don't want to get blisters. My crocs feel the best on my feet--even better than my "good" gym shoes, but they're a train wreck in the rain. SUPER slippery.

I like the towels soaked in the remnants of the ice bucket idea. I guess I throw in a couple extra ziplock bags for that. Thanks!

SillyOldBear
05-20-2009, 09:26 PM
momofthree
Are those Lands End shoes really comfortable enough to wear all day walking around the park? Do they provide enough support? I have a pair of water shoes but I don't think they are as good of quality as perhaps the ones you are talking about are. I looked on the website and it seems like they are on sale right now as well. I'm just worried about arch support etc.

DisneyDaisie
05-21-2009, 06:52 AM
I have an update on the misting fans! I was at Wal-Mart and decided to pick one up for my July trip, and I found that they also have small personal sized misting fans! They take a AA battery and fill up like a watergun, they also have a carabiner clip so you can attach it to a belt or backpack. I think they were $2.99, I got one for each of us. I figured it would be great while standing online. I found them on the aisle with box fans and small appliances. Just thought I'd let everyone know!

TinaMouse
05-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Oh very good! I'll pick up those to snap to the kids' string backpacks!

momof three
05-21-2009, 05:39 PM
momofthree
Are those Lands End shoes really comfortable enough to wear all day walking around the park? Do they provide enough support? I have a pair of water shoes but I don't think they are as good of quality as perhaps the ones you are talking about are. I looked on the website and it seems like they are on sale right now as well. I'm just worried about arch support etc.

I love mine. I just got home today from 8 hours at Sea World with my sons class. I chased after five 11 year old high strung boy's going from one end of that park and back several times. Talk about a long day. My feet don't hurt and I wasn't one of many parents complaning about wet socks on my feet. It was raining on and off today.

If you do get them make sure you break them in before you leave town. Nothings worse then a blister at WDW. Tina didn't like hers so I guess it's all about what your feet can take. I tend to get blisters when I wear crocs to the parks. I guess everyone is diffrent.

Mily

SillyOldBear
05-21-2009, 06:30 PM
sounds like the shoes are worth a try. I think Sears has a Lands End section. I'm hoping they might sell them there so I can try them on. If not, are they pretty true to size?

I bought one of those personal size mini fan misters that is pump style so we don't have to worry about batteries. I think it was $9.99 though.

SillyOldBear
05-21-2009, 06:36 PM
mom of three-
Would you have a moment to go online to www.landsend.com and let me know which ones you have? You seem so happy with them that I want to make sure I try out the correct ones. Thanks for your help.

momof three
05-21-2009, 07:11 PM
mom of three-
Would you have a moment to go online to www.landsend.com and let me know which ones you have? You seem so happy with them that I want to make sure I try out the correct ones. Thanks for your help.

The ones I have are the woman's medium trekker shoes. Page 5 of the shoe section. My husband wore his out and just bought the River Trekker ones this year which he likes better. I just order my true size and they always fit. Hope that helps.

Mily

Drince88
05-21-2009, 08:08 PM
These are the ones you have (http://www.landsend.com/pp/TrekkerShoes~191688_253.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::GUG&CM_MERCH=IDX_00009_0000000180_0000000916&origin=index), Mily? And these are the ones your husband has (http://www.landsend.com/pp/RiverTrekkerShoes~184037_253.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::VNO&CM_MERCH=IDX_00009_0000000180_0000000916&origin=index)(though I presume he doesn't have the women's version that I linked to here).

I have the river trekkers - I got them when I wanted something a little more 'solid' than my teva sandals, and I liked them, and did fine on the walk out to Kayaking on Castaway Cay, but for me, I don't know if I'd do them for an all-day-in the park.

SillyOldBear
05-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Thank you Mily and Thank you Cathy for posting the links. I'm going to give them a try.

momof three
05-22-2009, 04:27 AM
Yes, these are them.

Mily

TinaMouse
05-22-2009, 06:38 AM
WATER SHOES (http://www.landsend.com/pp/WaterShoes~191531_253.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::LLE&CM_MERCH=IDX_00009_0000000312_0000000916&origin=index)

These are the ones I have (in white). Even though I've had some problems with them, you have convinced me to take them with. I'll wear them if we have a rainy day. Better to have them than not to--

momof three
05-22-2009, 07:44 AM
WATER SHOES (http://www.landsend.com/pp/WaterShoes~191531_253.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::LLE&CM_MERCH=IDX_00009_0000000312_0000000916&origin=index)

These are the ones I have (in white). Even though I've had some problems with them, you have convinced me to take them with. I'll wear them if we have a rainy day. Better to have them than not to--

Tina try wearing them around the house for a while with a pair of socks on that way they might strech out a bit before you wear them in the parks. This may help with the way they rub your feet. My oldest son lives in his crocs in the summer. He always has to do this to break them in other wise he gets blisters from them. Once he has broken them in good all is well.

In fairness to you I have to be honest and say my oldest wears his crocs in the parks. The rest of us like our lands end shoes. They are very ugly. I only wear them in the parks, on the boat or if its raining. I really think this is one of those things that your own feet make the rules on. Trust me I wouldn't be caught dead in these shoes if it was about fashion.

Mily

TinaMouse
05-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Oh my crocs are HIDEOUSLY ugly. I used to poke fun at people who wear them. I wear my Indiana University ones in the backyard while doing yardwork and my Mickey ones at Disney. THAT'S IT. In fact, my Mickey ones are IN Orlando in my Owner's Locker. They only get broken out there. :fez:

In fairness to you, I prefer to wear SOCKS with my crocs because even those rub funny if I go without socks. I have TERRIBLY flat feet and so I go through shoes very quickly and strangely. I will definitely break out the water shoes. In fact, I just cleaned out my closet and I know EXACTLY where they are. I'll wear them this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks!

danyoung
05-22-2009, 02:40 PM
I prefer to wear SOCKS with my crocs...

Where I come from we have a word for people like you - we call them foreigners.

scoobydooby
05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Where I come from we have a word for people like you - we call them foreigners.

Now that's confusing, because so do we ;)