PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain Reopening Date

bandontherun
05-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Space Mountain is scheduled to reopen on November 22nd. Unfortunately, I will be leaving on November 21st.
Is there any chance of a soft opening any number of days prior to the announced November 22nd?
Also, does anyone know exactly what the changes will be?

Cheshire Figment
05-19-2009, 09:20 AM
There is always a chance of soft openings. Also, this far out there is also the chance that it may not open until later; it depends on what additional problems may be found.

I am sure they will be replacing all of the track itself. I do not think they will replace structure unless they find it necessary. I am sure that there will be painting and other maintenance done.

Two things that could happen is all the ride vehicles upgraded to include audio, and another possibility (hopefully) will be to improve the disabled access similar to the method now used at DL.

petesimac
05-19-2009, 10:44 AM
There is always a chance of soft openings. Also, this far out there is also the chance that it may not open until later; it depends on what additional problems may be found.

I am sure they will be replacing all of the track itself. I do not think they will replace structure unless they find it necessary. I am sure that there will be painting and other maintenance done.

Two things that could happen is all the ride vehicles upgraded to include audio, and another possibility (hopefully) will be to improve the disabled access similar to the method now used at DL.

Boy, if anyone can confirm the addition of audio, I would be one happy camper. IMHO, the ride is better at WDW, but with the audio, the overall experience is better at DL; if we could get the audio at WDW, it would be just fantastic!

Drince88
05-19-2009, 10:50 AM
IMHO, the ride is better at WDW, but with the audio, the overall experience is better at DL;
Wow, I so disagree with this. I can't ride it at WDW much anymore because it's SOOOO rough (I leave the attraction with bruises on my thighs ever time!) - I'm hoping the new track (if that really is part of the refurb and not just someone's hopes) will help with that! I LOVE the smoothness of the attraction at DL (though the low-overhead that I have hit my hands on at the end is bothersome!)

TinaMouse
05-19-2009, 11:39 AM
I like DLR's better too. Here's hoping WDW is up to par!

danyoung
05-20-2009, 09:45 AM
I am sure they will be replacing all of the track itself.

Why are you sure of this? The last I heard the refurb had been cut down drastically to the point where the entire track would not be replaced. All I'm hearing is internet rumor, though, so any hard info is appreciated.

Cheshire Figment
05-20-2009, 04:43 PM
The reason the project is taking such a short time (although over seven full months) is that this has been in the planning for a few years. Disney World already had all the contracts in place and everything needed either on hand or on order with firm delivery dates.

Unlike DisneyLand where they had to suddenly shut it down for immediate safety reasons and then do all the ordering and contracting.

And it is much cheaper to replace all the track at once, along with minimal downtime, than to have to close it for several months again in the near future to replace the rest of the track.

petesimac
05-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Wow, I so disagree with this. I can't ride it at WDW much anymore because it's SOOOO rough (I leave the attraction with bruises on my thighs ever time!) - I'm hoping the new track (if that really is part of the refurb and not just someone's hopes) will help with that! I LOVE the smoothness of the attraction at DL (though the low-overhead that I have hit my hands on at the end is bothersome!)

I definitely agree about the roughness of the ride on WDW's version; hopefully this will be addressed by the new track. What I meant was that the ride design, including the drops and how the track is set up is, in my opinion, better than the dizzying DL version. But even with the DL setup, with the music and a few other touches, DLs version, overall, is better, unless....

danyoung
05-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Cheshire Figment, I don't mean to be difficult here, but you still haven't answered my question. You've given some great logic, but my question is do you know for a FACT that they're replacing the entire track, or is it only something that makes sense to you that they do so? Sorry to press, but I'm really interested in the answer.

petesimac
05-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Cheshire Figment, I don't mean to be difficult here, but you still haven't answered my question. You've given some great logic, but my question is do you know for a FACT that they're replacing the entire track, or is it only something that makes sense to you that they do so? Sorry to press, but I'm really interested in the answer.

You?! Not trying to be difficult?! ......right. ;)

Dan, I have read several blurbs on this (and no, I can't remember where), and they were in agreement that the track was being replaced. I bet a bit of searching on-line, and maybe here, would bring you the confirmation you need.

If it's not being replaced, there's a screw loose somewhere up the chain of command, because it needs to be replaced. The info I've read states that the track will be replaced but not the supports, meaning, unfortunately for me, that audio will not be installed (the extra weight would require new supports). I hope I'm wrong about the audio; I'd love to have it at WDW. We shall see. As long as it's smoother, whatever they do, I'll be happy. I'm just sad I'll miss out this time around. Ah well, it gives me yet another reason to go back.

Drince88
05-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Ah well, it gives me yet another reason to go back.
What? Like YOU needed another reason? ;)

(Sorry, that was too perfect of a pitch for me to not swing at!)

bandontherun
05-21-2009, 09:10 AM
I found this blurb via Google.. doesn't look like any audio...

The renovation will include a new ceiling inside the dome, a new waiting area for riders and new track throughout the ride. The track layout will remain unchanged, the reports said.
http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/stories/2009/01/05/daily29.html

petesimac
05-21-2009, 10:41 AM
What? Like YOU needed another reason? ;)

(Sorry, that was too perfect of a pitch for me to not swing at!)

:p