PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Studios: Fantasmic vs. Extra Magic Hours

kidrericha
05-13-2009, 07:50 AM
The two things I’ve been told when it comes to avoiding crowds at Hollywood Studios is to avoid A) days with Extra Magic Hours and B) days when Fantasmic is showing. Unfortunately, it would appear that during our trip, one or the other is happening each day. Which is the lesser of two evils?

It should be noted that we do have parkhoppers, so if there is a portion of the day that’s less crowded, that will work, too.

Drince88
05-13-2009, 12:41 PM
That's a tough one. If you don't have a desire to see Fantasmic (and I can side with both groups on this one), what I'd do is go on a day that has morning EMHs and be there for ALL of the morning hour, and then leave when it gets ugly to you. I think my second choice would be a day that has Fantasmic, but no EMH - because a lot of people will be tied up seeing/waiting for Fantasmic when the time comes. And one general rule of thumb is to visit the park first thing in the morning, the morning AFTER it has evening EMHs - so I'd probably try to use that rule.

What are the dates of your trip (I'm just curious regarding the Fantasmic/EMH schedule)

TinaMouse
05-13-2009, 06:16 PM
I'd probably go to the park in the morning when there's EVENING EMHs. Stay about 1/2 a day, then take off.

kidrericha
05-14-2009, 09:51 AM
That's a tough one. If you don't have a desire to see Fantasmic (and I can side with both groups on this one), what I'd do is go on a day that has morning EMHs and be there for ALL of the morning hour, and then leave when it gets ugly to you. I think my second choice would be a day that has Fantasmic, but no EMH - because a lot of people will be tied up seeing/waiting for Fantasmic when the time comes. And one general rule of thumb is to visit the park first thing in the morning, the morning AFTER it has evening EMHs - so I'd probably try to use that rule.

What are the dates of your trip (I'm just curious regarding the Fantasmic/EMH schedule)
I'm a Disneyland AP holder, so I've seen Fantasmic plenty of times. Plus it just wouldn't be the same not being on the Rivers of America with the Columbia and the Mark Twain and everything.

I have never heard about visitng a park the morning after evening EMH's. How late into the day does that have an effect?

We are visiting parks 8/29 thru 9/6

Drince88
05-14-2009, 10:00 AM
I have never heard about visitng a park the morning after evening EMH's. How late into the day does that have an effect?

We are visiting parks 8/29 thru 9/6

I think it's 'good' for the whole day. And they haven't announced Sept hours yet, so there's hope there will be a non-Fantasmic/non-EMH for the Studios during your trip. (And when I looked at the end of August hours, they sure were wonky!)

In your case, I would recommend skipping Fantasmic, for sure. Having 'real' seats is nice - but there is no Columbia playing the role of Capt Hooks boat (instead it's a Pocahontas segment) - and the boat that Steamboat Willie drives..... let's just say it's no Mark Twain (it looks like it's made out of plywood to me!) (I'm excited because I'll be in DL about when you're in WDW and since my sister and I are surprising Mom, we decided it was time to spring for reserved seating for F! there!)

kidrericha
05-14-2009, 10:19 AM
I think it's 'good' for the whole day. And they haven't announced Sept hours yet, so there's hope there will be a non-Fantasmic/non-EMH for the Studios during your trip. (And when I looked at the end of August hours, they sure were wonky!)

In your case, I would recommend skipping Fantasmic, for sure. Having 'real' seats is nice - but there is no Columbia playing the role of Capt Hooks boat (instead it's a Pocahontas segment) - and the boat that Steamboat Willie drives..... let's just say it's no Mark Twain (it looks like it's made out of plywood to me!) (I'm excited because I'll be in DL about when you're in WDW and since my sister and I are surprising Mom, we decided it was time to spring for reserved seating for F! there!)
Definitely good to know.

I kind of did my own projections on Spetember hours, just studying the trends from the past few years. If it holds true, Friday would be the only non- EMH, non-Fantasmic day. I figure we can spend the good portion of the day there and then MNSSHP in the evening.

I've never actually done reserved seating for Fantasmic out here, but from what I saw it looks like there is a definite distinction from the general viewing area (as opposed to what I've read about the FL version).