PDA

View Full Version : Least crowded part of summer?

Pages : [1] 2

Samrain
05-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Has anyone been at both of these times? Which do you prefer?

We're currently booked for August 8-15 but are considering changing our reservation to August 29- September 5 due to crowds in early/mid August. Are the crowds really that different?

iHEARTtheMOUSE
05-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I think mid to late sept. (oct is even better!) would be your best bet--if you are flexible. Everybody will be back in school by then. We went mid Sept in 2007 and it was great. It was mostly families with toddlers, and the crowds and wait times weren't bad at all. Sept is still hot, but not intolerable--not when we went anyway, and it only rained once when we went.

September weather is slightly better than August, and August crowds are worse.

iHEARTtheMOUSE
05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
ALSO...I would avoid Labor Day weekend if possible!

njtravelerof6
05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
We have been to WDW during all weeks of August and into first week of Sept. I would agree that the later in August you go, the better since all of the southern schools are back in session. In NJ/NY/PA, we don't start school until AFTER Labor Day weekend.

Drince88
05-07-2009, 01:12 PM
We're currently booked for August 8-15 but are considering changing our reservation to August 29- September 5 due to crowds in early/mid August. Are the crowds really that different?

I think your two options 'get you into' two different promotions. You may have booked the 8-15 trip on the buy 4, get 3 free promotion, where the late August you could book now on the 'frie dining promotion'. Because it is during free dining, the later trip will be harder to get into TS restaurants.

So make sure you weigh the finances of the change!

Samrain
05-08-2009, 07:23 AM
I think your two options 'get you into' two different promotions. You may have booked the 8-15 trip on the buy 4, get 3 free promotion, where the late August you could book now on the 'frie dining promotion'. Because it is during free dining, the later trip will be harder to get into TS restaurants.

So make sure you weigh the finances of the change!

Drince, you're exactly right! We booked the first with the 7 for 4 and were hoping for free dining on the later trip. The cost isn't much more to go later when compared to the amount of money we're already spending!

My primary concern is that no matter how hard I try, I can't quite convince my boyfriend that getting up early to get to the parks at rope drop is really truly worth it....he knows it's worth it, but he just won't do it because it's a vacation....grrr....!! We usually end up getting to the parks around 11 or 12 and at that point, lines are horrible!

We don't mind the heat, cost, or even crowded restaurants, but the long lines are a concern. Touring plans is saying the earlier week will be a "7" or "8" on the 1-10 crowd scale and the later trip will be "5" or "6"...but then I also have to consider that I'm registered to do the marathon in January (my first full marathon ever- eek!) and will go back then for a few days...it's so much to consider!

Drince88
05-08-2009, 07:44 AM
but then I also have to consider that I'm registered to do the marathon in January (my first full marathon ever- eek!) and will go back then for a few days...it's so much to consider!
Oh, Good Luck with that! (I did the half this past year, and doing the half at DL on Labor Day weekend)

Can you compromise and get up early every other day? I think 'seeing with his own eyes' will convince him that it's worth it - and then you can take a nap which is a very 'vacation' thing to do as an adult ;)

Or the other thing is to say that YOU are getting up early and he can text you when he's getting ready to go to the park so you can figure out a meeting place. Then you tell him everything you did and he gets jealous and gets up early the next day?

Samrain
05-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Oh, Good Luck with that! (I did the half this past year, and doing the half at DL on Labor Day weekend)

Can you compromise and get up early every other day? I think 'seeing with his own eyes' will convince him that it's worth it - and then you can take a nap which is a very 'vacation' thing to do as an adult ;)

Or the other thing is to say that YOU are getting up early and he can text you when he's getting ready to go to the park so you can figure out a meeting place. Then you tell him everything you did and he gets jealous and gets up early the next day?

That's so exciting! Good luck with the half at DL - you'll have to share which one you prefer! This will be my first full and first race at Disney so I'm excited and nervous!

I am a big fan of getting up early and napping in the afternoon (but I'm an early riser anyway!). I've tried on several vacations (not just Disney) to get him up early on vacation, but he's pretty stubborn-I'll have to try a few of the things you mentioned - maybe getting up every other day will help sway him (*fingers crossed*!) once he sees how much can be accomplished in just a few hours!

TinaMouse
05-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Leave him behind. Seriously. My DH ends up wanting to sleep in a few days and we just have him call us when he hits the park. Tick off how many rides you've been on when he shows up and maybe he'll change his mind. Or if not, then you're not frustrated with waiting and he's not frustrated with not sleeping! Win-win!

Busy Mom
05-12-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm just wondering what to expect in terms of crowds and weather. We're arriving the 19th and leaving the 27th. Unofficial guide is predicting 5-7 but I'm not really sure what that means.

TinaMouse
05-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I saw the same levels. A lot of schools are either back in session by late August or close enough that people aren't vacationing the week before it starts. So, even though it says a level 7, I'm guessing it will actually feel more like a 6. I may be REALLY off. My guess is, the farther into your vacation you get, the lighter the crowds will be (I'll be there the same time as you--20th-30th).

PLAN for VERY, VERY, VERY hot and humid days, though. It will be hard to tour all day, every day. As our Drince is apt to say, STAY HYDRATED! Take rests, use FPs, go in A/C "longer" attractions (Ellen's Energy Adventure, the American Adventure, etc.), and be prepared for the afternoon storms.

I think that will at least START us going in the right direction. What our actual experience will be may be very different! :p

Good luck and wave at me if you see me in my Mouse Planet hat!

scoobydooby
05-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi - we visited 10th-24th August (I think...) last year. I have previously visited mid March and Easter. It was somewhat quieter than Easter but not as much as I'd imagined and in my opinion, much harder work because of the rain and then the heat and the humidity. Bear in mind though we experiecned a tropical storm and thus excessive rain. I think because of the heat you really need to maximise early morning touring and retreat from the parks in the hottest part of the day for a swim / nap / down time. I also advise use of the touring plans in the Unofficial Guide. I have never waited more than 15 mins in a line at Disney, usually less, including at Easter, apart from when we have deviated from those plans. Also make good use of fast pass for repeat rides especially. Having a plan is the biggest crowd beather IMHO.

Tisha
05-12-2009, 08:49 PM
I realize that's probably an oxymoron, but I'm a teacher so all I have to work with is 6 weeks. Probably want to take a trip this summer anywhere between 4-7 days sometime between July 1 and August 15. The only trip I've taken to WDW before was in early June. Crowds weren't bad, but the humidity was a killer! I'm sure it's even worse in July and August. Maybe fewer storms though?

Drince88
05-13-2009, 04:51 AM
Crowds will be worse for July through mid August (vs June).
Humidity will be worse July through mid August (vs June).
Afternoon thunderstorms will be worse July through mid August (vs June).

I'd avoid 4th of July weekend, that will likely be 'the worst' of it.

I was hoping that maybe at least the local schools would start in your window, but Florida schools can't start before 8/24/09, so the entire time you're looking at, most kids will be out of school.

If you want to see what the weather differences is, I really like www.wunderground.com, and use the trip planning. You can put in week-by-week info and see the comparisons on historic highs/humidities.

If I had to choose a week within your time frame, personally I'd go for the end of July. It's far enough from the 4th of July to not be impacted by those trips, and it's not August, when some families might be trying to 'get in the vacation before the kids start up'. There is ABSOLUTELY no basis in any data for that statement, however. It might be worthwhile to go to one of the 'pay' websites and see if they offer any differences in crowd predictions for your 6 weeks (but I wouldn't hold my breath!)

petesimac
05-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Crowds will be worse for July through mid August (vs June).
Humidity will be worse July through mid August (vs June).
Afternoon thunderstorms will be worse July through mid August (vs June).

I'd avoid 4th of July weekend, that will likely be 'the worst' of it.

I was hoping that maybe at least the local schools would start in your window, but Florida schools can't start before 8/24/09, so the entire time you're looking at, most kids will be out of school.

If you want to see what the weather differences is, I really like www.wunderground.com (http://www.wunderground.com), and use the trip planning. You can put in week-by-week info and see the comparisons on historic highs/humidities.

If I had to choose a week within your time frame, personally I'd go for the end of July. It's far enough from the 4th of July to not be impacted by those trips, and it's not August, when some families might be trying to 'get in the vacation before the kids start up'. There is ABSOLUTELY no basis in any data for that statement, however. It might be worthwhile to go to one of the 'pay' websites and see if they offer any differences in crowd predictions for your 6 weeks (but I wouldn't hold my breath!)

Ha! And that's just when we're going, from July 1 to July 11! Couldn't be helped. As far as temps and humidity is concerned, one of the hottest and most humid days I've ever experienced was on our trip two years ago in JUNE, so it can't get much worse that that. As for crowds, maybe if we keep scaring people away from going to Disney in early July, no one will go and it will become a slow period...yeah, wishful thinking I know, but keep up the good work.

Drince88
05-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Ha! And that's just when we're going, from July 1 to July 11! Couldn't be helped.
And if I could only go to WDW during the peak of the summer, you can bet I'd be going then, too.:D

wishiwasthere
05-13-2009, 12:31 PM
My family and I travel to WDW every August. Crazy, right?!

It used to be great like 10 years ago when we would go down around the 13th and we would drive to Universal and one time we drove past a school and I saw all the kids walking into school! I made sure I let out a big "haha!" which made me feel even more special.

Now they aren't allowed to start school until around the 24th. Don't fret though because while they can't start until then there a lot of other circumstances with kids in other states.

For example, if you are in HS in my area and do fall sports the last two weeks of August are spent gearing up for the season. That means that there are practices every day for hours and are mandatory.

Also a lot of people just don't want to travel to Florida in that kind of weather. They also want to enjoy their last few weeks of summer and get ready for the school season.

During the hot, sweltering days of August you have to make sure you take it easy. Do not go expecting to see and do everything. It won't happen. It is disgustingly hot and sticky.

If you have early birds in the family head out before park opening and get there for rope drop. You will get a lot done. If you need a mid day break go for it.

My family wakes up around 8:30/9 and when we get to the park we get to the park. We also go often so if we don't ride something it is not the end of the world for us.

I am not sure how old your children are but if they are young and get frightened easily check out the rides on youtube. You can either play it for them before hand to see how they react or just view it yourself and judge how they will be. One time I was getting ready to board the boats for Pirates and a kid was screaming an dcrying about how he didn't want to go on. His dad kept telling him it wasn't scary, but all the kid saw was once you get in the boats you go into total darkness. I tried to convince the kid that it wasn't bad and it gets bright again but he was too upset at that point.

My favorite thing about August? My mom let's me eat ice cream before lunch and multiple times a day because of the heat. Yeah I'm 22 and even though she would never tell me no I couldn't do something I still get the "What are you doing" eye when I am doing something I'm not supposed to.

Art Is Resistance
05-13-2009, 12:41 PM
We went last August, and to be honest, it wasn't too bad on the crowd situation. I think the longest we queued anywhere was in IOA - about an hour for the Ripsaw Falls (never again.....) - WDW was pretty good on the crowd situation - apart from when we went to Disney Studios (it rained that day so everyone wanted to be in the indoor attractions).
I agree with WishIWasThere - don't expect to get round everything, because when it is dry, the heat is punishing! My Mother in Law had a funny turn at Universal Studios due to the heat, I was bad a day and so was my wife (suddenly I've gone all Monty Python...)!

Have a good time!
I

bobaloo000
05-16-2009, 02:00 PM
I'll be there from 8/22 to 9/5. We've done August in the past, most recently in 2007. It is HOT! Most of the tips you have read here are right on target. Staying hydrated, and taking afternoon breaks are a must. Also remember, rain is your friend! Bring ponchos and keep on going!

scoobydooby
05-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Also remember, rain is your friend! Bring ponchos and keep on going!

Ok, after 6 days of nearly solid precipitation (August 2009) I'd had enough but the point is well made. We had the best day ever at MK when it had rained for so many consecutive days other guests had clearly given up. I think we did 5 or 6 turns in a loop with no waits on BTMR. My children were most pleased!

THpoohbear
05-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I agree with everything so far on thread. There are couple of things I wanted to point out, too. You might know this already, but if the unofficial guide is predicting crowd levels from 5-7, that translates into the peak wait times in the afternoon at the headliner attractions being about 50 to 70 minutes long. How does that translate to how the crowds feel? I think it won't be too bad, but you definitely won't be there alone.

Also, be aware that it really does not cool down at night. It's still hot, humid, and uncomfortable for most. You will have the benefit of not having the sun beat down on you, but you will still be sweaty and sticky and a/c will be your friend. Try not to push it too hard, (I did, and it made for some unhappy times that trip). You will have to take things at a slower pace than in mid-January, but WDW can still be very enjoyable in mid-August.

One last thing, remember to let your body dictate/adjust to the food/hot weather combo. Most people have a drop in appetite in the swealtering heat, so don't over do it on the food until you know what you can handle in this type of weather. Maybe try to eat on the lighter side a meal or two a day. :)

wishiwasthere
05-16-2009, 08:18 PM
I am from NJ and I get both hot and cold weather, but at night in August you will often find me in capris and/or sweatshirt. Most of my family is the same as well. Usually if you get your afternoon rain shower the humidity goes down.

bobaloo000
05-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Ok, after 6 days of nearly solid precipitation (August 2009) I'd had enough but the point is well made. We had the best day ever at MK when it had rained for so many consecutive days other guests had clearly given up. I think we did 5 or 6 turns in a loop with no waits on BTMR. My children were most pleased!

Welcome back from the future. Is there anything else I should know besides the 6 consecutive days of rain in August?

Avacrand
05-17-2009, 04:47 AM
Last year I went from July 17-24. It only rained hard for longer than an hour one evening. We didn't care, we went to DHS anyway and had a blast. I will say that I didn't think it was that overcrowded. BUT, we did do rope drop openings every morning, rested mid day and returned late afternoons and stayed late. I will say that I did notice the water parks were mobbed much more so than when I went during other times of the year, which makes sense. It was humid but just bring a lot of water, have a plan in mind for touring and enjoy!!

scoobydooby
05-17-2009, 05:35 AM
Welcome back from the future. Is there anything else I should know besides the 6 consecutive days of rain in August?

Oops.