PDA

View Full Version : Tables in Wonderland 18% Tip

Jasmine
04-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Our group of 6 persons will be using the Tables in Wonderland for TS meals. We will receive 20% off our dining bill, but WDW will automatically add an 18% gratuity.

Can someone explain to me whether the 18% tip will be applied before or after the 20% Tables in Wonderland discount?

GusMan
04-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Groups of 6 or more, regardless if using TiW will have the gratuity added automatically at TS eateries.

Not sure if the discount is taken before or after the auto-add of the tip, but I think (or at least it is my opinion that) it is proper etiquette to base your tip on the pre-discounted amount.

Jasmine
04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks. But since WDW Dining automatically applies the 18% tip to groups of six or more, I was wondering what their actual formula (using TinW discount) currently is.

Toocherie
04-20-2009, 07:27 PM
I pulled out a receipt from the Brown Derby from a couple of weeks ago where I used my TiW card--they applied the 18% gratuity AFTER deducting the 20% gratuity.

Cheshire Figment
04-20-2009, 08:50 PM
$100 - Bill Amount

$20 - Discount

$18 - Tip based on pre-discount

$5.20 - Tax based on discounted amount.

$103.20 = 100 - 20 + 18 + 5.20 - Final amount

danyoung
04-21-2009, 10:32 AM
So, CF, are you saying that the tip is based on the pre-discount total, or were you just running numbers?

Jasmine
04-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I appreciate the responses, but I am reading two different answers, although Toocherie's receipt from the BD seems to support the formula that whenever the automatic 18% gratuity is applied, then it is factored net of the 20% TinW discount.

Toocherie
04-21-2009, 08:21 PM
sorry--I went back and re-checked my receipt and ran numbers--they put the tip AFTER the discount so I assumed (wrongly) that meant the 18% was figured on the subtotal. Here is how the receipt reads:

10.25 (martini)
8.00 (salad)
7.00 (dessert)
36.00 (entree)
20% TiW food discount: -$10.20
20% TiW beverage discount: -$2.05
SUBTOTAL: $49.00

18% gratuity: $11.03 (which when calculated is 18% of $61.25)
Tax: $3.18

AMOUNT DUE $63.22

So, Cheshire is right, the gratuity is calculated prior to the discount.

4biegelboys
04-23-2009, 01:35 PM
As someone who works in the service industry, and someone who uses dining coupons often, any kind of discount I have ever seen says that the gratuity is added to the original bill before the discount is taken off, but before taxes are added. I am pretty sure most places go by this rule. Usually the rules are in little print either on the coupon or card or in the book it comes in. They can be very sneaky about the rules!!

Drince88
04-23-2009, 02:26 PM
One word of warning about the Tables in Wonderland 'Automatic' tip - - - it's not always automatic. I think it's at the discretion of the venue manager if they actually do make it auto - SO CHECK so you don't stiff the server!! I think it was about 60/40 last trip I used mine on! (60 did included it, 40% didn't)

Jasmine
04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the clarifications. Since our group is large, I am budgeting the automatic 18% gratuity ... whether we use TinW or DDP.

Toocherie
04-27-2009, 04:16 PM
One word of warning about the Tables in Wonderland 'Automatic' tip - - - it's not always automatic. I think it's at the discretion of the venue manager if they actually do make it auto - SO CHECK so you don't stiff the server!! I think it was about 60/40 last trip I used mine on! (60 did included it, 40% didn't)

Particularly when I had a great server I always made sure to ask--"now tip was calculated already?" before I signed. And if they were great I added a little more.

Cheshire Figment
04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
So, CF, are you saying that the tip is based on the pre-discount total, or were you just running numbers?

Yes! See the comment below.

As someone who works in the service industry, and someone who uses dining coupons often, any kind of discount I have ever seen says that the gratuity is added to the original bill before the discount is taken off, but before taxes are added. I am pretty sure most places go by this rule. Usually the rules are in little print either on the coupon or card or in the book it comes in. They can be very sneaky about the rules!!

Additionally, by law, the Sales Tax is based on the amount after the discount. This is law in all states with a sales tax; where you pay sales tax on the amount you pay for the goods or services received.

The only perceived exception to this is manufacturer's coupons at a store where you pay the sales tax. This is because the store is not giving you a discount on the purchase, but the manufacturer is giving you a rebate after you have made a purchase and paid tax on it. But for simplification the payment of the rebates is made to the store and the store is passing it on to you.

(And, Dan, don't argue numbers with a CPA, you will usually lose.)

danyoung
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
(And, Dan, don't argue numbers with a CPA, you will usually lose.)

I'm not sure how to take this on a couple of fronts. I didn't see a smiley face, so are you kidding? And who is the CPA - is it you? And finally, I wasn't arguing with anything - I was merely asking for clarification.

FWIW, I just spent a week in WDW, and looked very carefully at my receipts. In every case but one, the 18% was there on the total (as I was using the Tables In Wonderland card). On that one time, at the Coral Reef, my waiter brought back a corrected ticket after I gave him my credit card, and apologized for getting it wrong. So in my experience, they are adding the 18% every time. Sometimes I tipped above that, and sometimes not. And once I felt the 18% was too much, but I didn't feel strongly enough about it that I complained.