PDA

View Full Version : How does the dining plan work at California Grill?

Pages : [1] 2

nutsformickey
04-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I was wondering about this. They have sushi, which I love, first course and main course. Can you only order from the main course on the plan? And if I use the Deluxe plan, can I order a sushi roll as my ap? Or is the first course the only section that counts as an ap? Just trying to decide whether to do the plan or just skip it and use my TIW card.:fez:

bennette
04-06-2009, 11:58 AM
If you don't get an answer sooner, I'll let you know when I get back from my May trip! I have heard there are occasional items the plan doesn't cover because they are do individually pricey. (I seem to recall reading about the cheese plate at California Grill last year but I wouldn't put my faith in a report that old.)

Drince88
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM
If you're on the regular dining plan, the meal only includes an entree, dessert, and non-alcoholic beverage, and will 'cost' you two table service credits.

On the deluxe, I'm not sure if sushi items count as appetizers or not, but it will still cost you two table service credits.

Even if you do the regular dining plan, you can have sushi and pay out of pocket (with your Tables in Wonderland Discount!) for it.

GusMan
04-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I can tell you from my experience...

Yes, like mentioned, it is a two-credit dining experience that does include the Entree and Dessert and a non-alco beverage. If you want an appetizer, wine, etc, such as sushi, you just pay out of pocket for whatever you get.

If you are on the deluxe plan, which includes the appetizer (I believe) then that is covered for each person as well.

But yes, the "first course" is an "appetizer" course. So I do believe that sushi would be included.

The appetizers are not cheap (if paying out of pocket) nor is anything else on the menu for that matter, but I can say with the utmost of honesty that it was the best dining experience that I ever had at WDW. (But no, I have not been to V&A yet, though...)

The sushi is fannnnnntastic! The Mrs. had a goat-cheese ravioli that was extremely tasty as well. The desserts? I was speechless. (And those that know me - that does not happen often.)

Was it worth two credits? I had my doubts at first, but afterward, I can tell you that it was worth it. Without it, our meal for the two of us would have been in the $200+ range. Using the TIW card would be a good thing as well, especially if you try some of their wine.

bennette
04-07-2009, 01:21 PM
GusMan,

The reason I wonder how this will work under the deluxe plan is that sushi is listed as an entirely different section than appetizers on the menu (and a bit pricier than some of the appetizers even!). So while I certainly hope it will work exactly as you describe, I'm going to be prepared to pay cash for sushi just in case (because I'm not going to miss it!).

GusMan
04-07-2009, 07:13 PM
This may be a case where calling the restaurant in advance may be a good idea to help set expectations. (Its a good question for sure.)
In the cases of different restaurant's, sushi is usually listed separately just because of the type of cuisine that it is. (At least that is my observation and not a "hard and fast" rule, if you know what I mean. :) )

And yep - its a not miss. Ask for recommendations and dont be afraid to try something different. My sushi had a very light tempura coating and was flash-fried and had a spicy southwestern sauce drizlled on it. It was exploding with flavor! I would go again just to sample all their sushi dishes.

TinaMouse
04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
i was speechless. (and those that know me - that does not happen often.)

lolololol!!!!!!!!

nutsformickey
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Okay GusMan, I took your advice and after many phone calls to Member Services (DVC) I got the right person who was relentless if finding this answer for me. DVC has the wrong direct # listed for California Grill so I could not call them directly, but this cast member did for me. She said the menu has changed since the one I saw online at ALLEARS. She said there is a "sushi sampler" on the ap portion of the menu now and a "Sushi Plate" under the main course section of the menu. She did say that the menu is seasonal and subject to change but since I'm going next month I think I'm safe!:p
Thanks GusMan!
Julie :)

danyoung
04-08-2009, 11:13 AM
I just want to say that I was told by my waiter at the CG a few years ago, just after they had added all the sushi, that they had just hired one of the top sushi artists in the world. And after enjoying the sushi tremendously, I have no reason to doubt his word! Also, when you get around to the entree, try the tamarind bbq marinated beef tenderloin - simply the best cut of beef you ever cut with a fork!!!

bennette
04-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Okay GusMan, I took your advice and after many phone calls to Member Services (DVC) I got the right person who was relentless if finding this answer for me. DVC has the wrong direct # listed for California Grill so I could not call them directly, but this cast member did for me. She said the menu has changed since the one I saw online at ALLEARS. She said there is a "sushi sampler" on the ap portion of the menu now and a "Sushi Plate" under the main course section of the menu. She did say that the menu is seasonal and subject to change but since I'm going next month I think I'm safe!:p
Thanks GusMan!
Julie :)

Okay, I too was feeling relentless about this issue so on my weekly call to ADR's this morning (still hoping that someone will cancel at Le Cellier and allow me in), I also asked for the direct line to California Grill. They couldn't give it to me but the CM dialed in my question to the restaurant. The answer she gave me was that sushi isn't covered under the deluxe dining plan and that the wait person would explain it to me when I got there. A single option of a sushi sampler, as described above, could explain why "most" sushi isn't covered but I'm going to try again to make a direct call.

GusMan
04-08-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm glad y'all got some answers via calling. CG is one of those places that is not talked about all that much since it is kinda exclusive and this was a good question to get clarified.

Toocherie
04-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Not to be Debbie Downer but my worst dining experience in WDW was at California Grill. I was sitting by the kitchen right in front of one of the sushi chefs. That part was great--and as a single diner not a problem. But my "waiter" pretty much ignored me all night, my sushi chef messed up my order (I had asked for "no octopus) and while I was enjoying my salad (which was delicious--but I had to stop someone else to bring me bread to enjoy with it because my waiter was MIA) the sushi chef made up my sushi platter before leaving on his break. So it sat on the counter for a good 20 minutes while I leisurely enjoyed my salad and wine. I even thought to myself--"wow--I wouldn't be happy if I was the person getting that after it sat there." But I KNEW it wasn't mine because it had octopus on it. Wrong!

Once my salad was removed (not by MY waiter) someone else brought the same sushi platter over to me. At that point I put up a fuss about the octopus and the fact that it had been sitting there. NOT the experience I wanted to have.

Waiter then compounded the mistake by claiming that he had sent the person who brought me the bread. Uh--no--I flagged them down to find my waiter and they came back and said "I couldn't find your waiter so I just got it myself." So the waiter lied to me.

I was so miffed I bit off my nose to spite my face because I did not stay for fireworks or dessert. I just wanted OUT.

I don't think I have ever had such an unpleasant single-dining experience.

bennette
04-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Not to be Debbie Downer but my worst dining experience in WDW was at California Grill.

I was so miffed I bit off my nose to spite my face because I did not stay for fireworks or dessert. I just wanted OUT.

I don't think I have ever had such an unpleasant single-dining experience.

Say it ain't so Debbie! There really is no excuse for bad single dining at a place with a sushi focus.

Drince88
04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I did have a semi-MIA waiter there once, too - but the 'backup waiter' or whatever he was called, took REALLY good care of me. I think they sort of tag-teamed the other tables in the section, but for some reason the other guy didn't seem to want to deal with me. But like I said, the one who did take care of me took really good care of me, so I almost forgot all about it. Sounds like you didn't have a 'backup waiter', Toocherie.

danyoung
04-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Toocherie, I won't for a second try to downplay the experience you had - that sounds AWFUL! But is it fair to say, at least from what you posted, that all of the problems from the evening stemmed from one bad waiter? If that's true, then I beg you to come back on another night and try again.

I've eaten at the CG maybe 20 times over the past 20 years or so, and I have NEVER had a waiter as bad as what you describe. In fact, I've had consistently great waiters. I dined there one evening about 2 years ago, and was lucky enough to have the best waiter I've ever experienced (& I ain't gay or anything!). He was from New York, kinda had that attitude and swagger, but was all about taking care of me. The dinner lasted about 2 1/2 hours, and simply could not have been a more successful evening. The food came out with plenty of time (but not too much time) between courses. He had descriptions of the food and the specials, he had anecdotes about working there, he had comments about some of the rides in the parks - he just couldn't have been a more perfect waiter at a restaurant within the borders of the World. And I've never, ever had food that was anything less than perfect!

I can't say enough about this place - it truly is my favorite restaurant on the planet! And to be fair, I'm no hoity toity guy that only eats at the best restaurants. I'm just an average guy who eats well on vacation. And there's just no better than the California Grill!

GusMan
04-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Toocherie, I really hope that you spoke to the manager and got taken care of. That sort of experience was way out of line - for any eatery.

And I agree with Dan... it would be worth another shot.

Burnt Toast
04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Agreed. If you did not speak with a manager about your MIA server, then you let that person get away with it. That type of service, while it shouldn't happen in the first place, should be corrected and reported immediately in case someone just isn't having a magical day.

I've been to California Grill twice... once during free dining and once after free dining just ended (I was on the CM discounted dining plan). Both times I've had EXCELLENT service and food.

California Grill is now probably going to be the "last night at WDW" dinner tradition for me, just like 'Ohana is the "first night at WDW" traditional dinner on my trips.

I will say this though, both times we've dined at California Grill... sushi, with the exception of the sushi appetizer platter, was NOT included with the dining plan. However, the server was nice enough to allow my friend who loves sushi to pick a few items off the sushi menu as his main entree... but it was an exception made to us which we really appreciated. He said it was really good too.

Toocherie
04-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes, I did talk to the manager-who did try to comp a meal--but my own "principles" didn't allow me to accept it (I don't like people to think that I'm complaining just to get freebies--I feel like not accepting it makes my complaint more credible--just my own weird little quirk).

I will try it again sometime--but I will eat at a table instead of the Chef's table and hopefully won't be alone next time (this was an unusual circumstance).

Thanks everyone!

Toocherie
04-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Toocherie, I won't for a second try to downplay the experience you had - that sounds AWFUL! But is it fair to say, at least from what you posted, that all of the problems from the evening stemmed from one bad waiter? If that's true, then I beg you to come back on another night and try again.

Dan--like I said before, I Will try CG again sometime.

It wasn't just the waiter--it was that I was having a lovely conversation with the sushi chef who knew that I didn't want octopus--and who then went ahead and made my sushi platter so he could go off on his break, and not only included octo but left it sitting there for 20 minutes. :mad:

I guess I'm one of those sushi people who's used to getting it made "fresh" when I'm ready for it--not at the "convenience" of the chef. And I felt it was really trying to rush the experience too.

danyoung
04-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Well, as I think I probably said above, with the right waiter your meal can go as fast or as slow as you want it. I've always had terrific service, and the sushi has always been the freshest and tastiest that I've ever had. Good luck with your next attempt - and make sure you post here about how it goes!

AVP
04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
just my own weird little quirk I'm the person who will pay the check and THEN talk to the manager, for pretty much the same reason. I don't want to be viewed as "one of those" people who complain to get a comp - I usually really do just want to make sure the management knows what happened.

Speaking of which - I need to remember to send Knott's a letter about Easter (never-doing-that-again-in-my-life) brunch.

AVP

TinaMouse
04-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Excellent idea. I will use that if I ever need to--

Skawt
04-24-2009, 09:40 AM
I am so glad to see that there should be a sushi appetizer option. We are lucky enough to have gotten in on the premium plan so it is just a single dining credit plus we get an appetizer and I love sushi.

I am curious about the fireworks. We have a 9:20pm reservation on May 15th. The park had been scheduled to close at 9:00pm but I see the hours have just changed and the Magic Kingdom is now scheduled to be open until 10:00pm with fireworks still occuring at 9:00pm.

If we arrive for our reservations at 9:00pm will we have a view of the fireworks in the waiting area or bar while we wait?

Drince88
04-24-2009, 09:46 AM
If we arrive for our reservations at 9:00pm will we have a view of the fireworks in the waiting area or bar while we wait?
You should be able to go out onto the balcony with everyone (I recommend that to staying in the bar/waiting area, because otherwise people will be blocking your view) IF you get fully checked in before 9. Just talk to the people on the lower level when you check in about your desires - it shouldn't be an issue.

bennette
05-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Just back. Okay, here is what we got to choose from for sushi on the deluxe dining plan.

You can have any but two of the sushi options on the menu as an appetizer.

The other two, which are "Snake in the Grass" - Barbecue Eel with Shrimp Tempura, Avocado and Cucumber and Yoshie's Deluxe Sushi Platter - maki and nigiri, are available as entrees.

I had the Spicy Kazan Roll - crab, shrimp, bay scallops, tuna and fireball sauce - as my appetizer. You can take that fireball description literally. It was an excellent dish but too hot for me to finish. :(

Although considering everything else I got, I suppose it wasn't the end of the world.

We had early reservations and came back for fireworks viewing. We got there fifteen minutes early, as suggested and had a great spot on the front balcony (there are two, plus the bar)