PDA

View Full Version : Best non-park restaurant

Sheilaras
03-10-2009, 07:38 PM
We have 4 little one and 5 adults. We need one dinner and one lunch recommendation. What are some fun restaurants on-site with a cool atmosphere, but not in a park, that you like?

I've been to Whipering Canyon, I like that.

Drince88
03-11-2009, 06:01 AM
Do you want a character experience? Any dining restrictions?

Lunch is a bit 'harder' because a lot of the hotel restaurants don't offer them, except when it's busy.

Ohana (all you can eat, served family style at the table), Chef Mickeys (character buffet), and Boma (buffet) are often recommended for dinners.

Lunch, if you're flexible on time or going when it's busy, might have Chef Mickey's as an option (if they aren't serving lunch, you can do a late breakfast or an early dinner - if that works ok for your group).

Beaches and Cream (hamburgers & ice cream are the main menu items) would be fun, but they don't take ADRs and it's a small restaurant, so that may not work well with 9 people.

Grand Floridian cafe and Kona Cafe are other options for lunch that are 'kind of' like nice hotel cafes, but I've had good food and service at both. The Wave in the Contemporary also serves lunch (and is good). All three of these are 'just restaurants' so if you want more than that, you might be disappointed.

UsBurchs
03-11-2009, 09:15 AM
We liked Raglan Road at DT Disney. Not as "Kid" friendly as you might want, but they do have a kid's menu. DT Disney also has Rainforest Cafe and TRex. Those might be more fun for the kids. (except for the storm at Rainforest - my son still hates that and covers his ears).

jmunzert
03-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Oh I just LOVE O'hana for dinner!! such great food and such great atmosphere!!

For lunch the Trails End Buffet might be fun, I just love hanging out at the Fort Wilderness Campground if I ever get a chance!

turkeymama
03-12-2009, 12:06 PM
My favorite non-park restaurant for lunch is Whispering Canyon Cafe. The little ones love it. I don't know about non-park places for supper. We are usually in a park at that time.

arnoldvb
03-12-2009, 12:39 PM
We liked Raglan Road at DT Disney. Not as "Kid" friendly as you might want, but they do have a kid's menu. DT Disney also has Rainforest Cafe and TRex. Those might be more fun for the kids. (except for the storm at Rainforest - my son still hates that and covers his ears).

Anna, if your son doesn't like the rain storm, he probably wouldn't like the meteor storm at T-Rex either. Arnold

RyansMom
03-13-2009, 10:57 AM
I would definitely suggest 'Ohana. It's lots of fun for the adults and kids...and great food, too! We usually try for a 5:00 dining time just as the restaurant opens. We always request a window table so we can enjoy the amazing views.

DVCmom
03-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Lunch: I think Kona in Polly is a good choice. It has a varied menu. The Wave at the Contemporary is really good as well. We enjoyed that lunch quite a bit. Chef Mickey's is a great choice for breakfast but I was not impressed with the lunch menu.

Dinner: Boma's at Animal is so different from a normal buffet and you can see the animals!!! Ohana's at the Polly is GREAT! Make sure you don't make reservations during the parade or fireworks (if you plan to be there). If you don't have tickets to go in the park you can see the fireworks if you time your dinner at that time. Make sure to not have one of the latest reservations as the entertainment leaves early at times. You can see the electrical parade on Bay Lake from there too.

I always check the menus to make sure it will meet everyone's expectations before making ADR. All-Ears is a great place to see this. Make sure you have more than just a 1st choice planned. When you call you need a back-up on the spot if they are full.

scoobydooby
03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Boma at AKL, especially if you've got children who will enjoy looking at the animals at the resort as well.

Chef Mickey's is also great for children with good character interaction.