PDA

View Full Version : Dining Alternatives

USNA21412
03-07-2009, 10:03 PM
My family visiting WDW in June, staying at AKL for a week. Doing five-day tickets and basic DDP. Two adults and three kids (DD-9, DS-6, DD-1). We want to maximize the dining plan value while enjoying a blend of character meals, buffets, and sit-down table service restaurants.

Definite choices based on past visits and recommendations include Boma, O'Hana, and Kona Cafe. As well, we're thinking Biergarten in EPCOT and no table service at all in AK (after park closing, going to either Poly or AKL). My questions boil down to:
DHS: Play 'n Dine at H&V or 50s Primetime
MK: Crystal Palace or Liberty Tree Tavern
And for our last park visit, we're not sure where we'll be but are deciding among: Whispering Canyon or loser of MK 1st choice (if at MK), Marrakesh (if at EP).

Notes: Kids no longer into JoJo's Circus or Little Einsteins (DHS H&V). We lived in Japan for three years so don't want Teppan Edo but do want cultural experience at EPCOT TS meal. Kids do still love Pooh & friends.

So I'm interested in quality of food feedback mostly because I "think" I've got the theming figured out. Thank you!

bantha09
03-08-2009, 05:52 AM
My family visiting WDW in June, staying at AKL for a week. Doing five-day tickets and basic DDP. Two adults and three kids (DD-9, DS-6, DD-1). We want to maximize the dining plan value while enjoying a blend of character meals, buffets, and sit-down table service restaurants.

Definite choices based on past visits and recommendations include Boma, O'Hana, and Kona Cafe. As well, we're thinking Biergarten in EPCOT and no table service at all in AK (after park closing, going to either Poly or AKL). My questions boil down to:
DHS: Play 'n Dine at H&V or 50s Primetime
MK: Crystal Palace or Liberty Tree Tavern
And for our last park visit, we're not sure where we'll be but are deciding among: Whispering Canyon or loser of MK 1st choice (if at MK), Marrakesh (if at EP).

Notes: Kids no longer into JoJo's Circus or Little Einsteins (DHS H&V). We lived in Japan for three years so don't want Teppan Edo but do want cultural experience at EPCOT TS meal. Kids do still love Pooh & friends.

So I'm interested in quality of food feedback mostly because I "think" I've got the theming figured out. Thank you!

For the DHS, I would go with the 50's primetime, I always liked that nostalgic feel, but that's just me.

For EPCOT, the beirgarten has really good food, and is a staple restaurant for my family when we go, plus your DD's and DS should find the performersfun and has a a good atmosphere in general.

For MK... this is a tough one... both are staple restaurants for our trips... but I would have to say... Crystal palace because character dining is always fun, just don't schedule during a parade, could be my imagination, but if I recall the characters don't come out during the parade to help prevent the error of seeing two pooh's at once.

turkeymama
03-08-2009, 06:03 AM
I wasn't fond of the food at 50's Primetime, but I understand it is a favorite for many. I loved the atmosphere, though, and so did the kids (ages 8 and 4). My husband loved the food so I'm thinking it was probably just me.

I would choose Crystal Palace over Liberty Tree Tavern, and not just for the characters. The food at LTT didn't seem as good to us when we were there in October. Maybe it was an off night?

I think Whispering Canyon is one of those places where you'll get mixed reviews. We really enjoy the atmosphere and the food. In fact, it has become one of our must-do restaurants. My kids aren't shy either, so that helps them enjoy the rowdy wait staff.

DVCmom
03-08-2009, 07:34 AM
I too agree with 50's Prime Time, Crystal Palace, and Whispering Canyon. All should hold the kid's attention. All are not super quiet places so noise level is more in tune with kids.

Crystal Palace is awesome. It has quality food. They have a shorter kid's section so they can see and reach to fill their plate. They offer an island of sweets to include soft serve ice cream with some toppings - another kid favorite. The characters here were the same quality as Chef Mickey's. Both have better animated characters than many other character places. At least that was our experience.

Drince88
03-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Liberty Tree doesn't have characters any more, if that sways your decision. And personally, in June, I don't want to eat 'Thanksgiving dinner' food, so that to me means Crystal Palace (with the added bonus of your kids being Pooh fans).

If you want 'culture' in an Epcot location, I think Marakesh is a GREAT idea to add to the Biergarten. They have musicians and a belly dancer that really adds to the experience of the meal.

If your kids aren't into JoJo etc, I'd do 50s Prime Time. A lot of your other meals are buffets, and sometimes it's really nice for Mom and Dad to not have to juggle plates for themselves and their little ones and keep track of the other kids. (But I'm not a big fan of buffets, though I DID enjoy both Crystal Palace and Biergarten (and Boma), so that skews my opinion a bit.)

USNA21412
03-08-2009, 07:03 PM
When reminded of all the buffets we're doing, and Crystal Palace wins in a landslide for MK, I think we'll take 50's Primetime at DHS over H&V. And if we plan for two dinners in EPCOT we'll go with Marrakesh. For the entertainment there, I've read that there are obstructed views of the dancing. So I must specify a sightline table when we check in? My kids would love the bellydancing, and I know we'll all enjoy German food and polka dancing. My priorities are set for EPCOT.

Bantha, thanks for the advice on Crystal Palace during non-parade times. That makes perfect sense. MK has an afternoon parade, correct? That's now the Move it, Shake it, Celebrate it event, correct? And the route is merely up and down Main Street and around the Hub?

We'll skip Liberty Tree Tavern this trip and do it in the future. I agree on T'giving food in June not quite fitting the mood. I'd rather boat over to Whispering Canyon to add to our break in the day.

Leslie
03-09-2009, 07:55 AM
I know when we go in November/December we will hit Crystal Palace everyday that were there. I can eat enough in that 1 sitting to tie me over for the whole day. Many good food choices to.

Drince88
03-09-2009, 08:22 AM
I know when we go in November/December we will hit Crystal Palace everyday that were there.
You're going to eat at the SAME restaurant every day of your vacation? With so many choices of places to eat, why would you do that?

Leslie
03-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Oh I dont know, we have never really taken the time and go to other places besides CP and at Pop. Were just really set in our ways I guess and we LOVE the CP. Maybe we will get a ice cream this time. lol

WdwGurl4life
03-09-2009, 03:08 PM
These are my PARK suggestions:

AK- I love YAK AND YETI*! LOVEEE it* We are actually trying Tusker House for Dinner this time. I will let you know how it goes!!

MK- I really love Crystal Palace, but you are familiar with that one, so my second choice would be Tony's (more of an adult atmosphere but REALLY good Italian food.) Of course the Castle is great for its surroundings but the food is overpriced and not too much is given, but ONCE AGAIN.... I am going to give it one last try this time around!

Epcot- For Adults * FRANCE OR ITALY either one is HANDS DOWN AMAZING* but honestly ANY restaurant in Epcot is great** Garden grille has characters for kids.. Coral reef is awesome if u like seafood*a nd CHINA is DEFF a must do!

umm
Studios* See I LOVE Buffets so I would go with Hollywood and Vine(food wise) ..I was not impressed with Mama Melrose the last two times I've been BUT they have a new menu now and I am going to try it one last time! Prime Time is FUN for kids but my ALL TIME FAV is Sci-fi-I hit it up EVERY time I go to Disney!

but HANDS DOWN besttttttttt place is CHEF MICKEY'S BREAKFASTTTTTTTTTTTT at the Contemporary! MY FAVVVV EVERRR!!!